Honda Shadow Forums banner

Question about riding on the freeway

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Chewsifer 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I have a quick question for you all about riding on the freeway: how do you get used to the wind pushing you? I just started riding about 3 weeks ago and just hopped on the freeway for the 1st time yesterday, and it was pretty scary. The speed isn't the issue, it was the wind(I live in the Bay Area). I am worried that it may push me into another car or something. Maybe I could get some advice/pointers.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Practice and experience.
Always expect it.
When alone, I tend to ride just to the left of center (staying out of the middle where crap tends to collect) so if wind moves me either way, I have room. Learning how to react to it is a big thing, do not over-react, which is common when new.
If it is a constant wind, you tend to lean sideways a little into it, and then sway when it stops.

One thing to remember when passing/being passed by a semi is they will give you a good side wind. These are good practice times how to handle the bike since you can expect them to happen and learn to adjust.

#4 ·
Welcome. I think fighting the winds at higher speeds just comes with experience. You may want to take some backroads at a little slower pace on a windy day to get a little more used to all the different directions wind affects you. A hard cross wind can move you over when not expecting it. I was doing a study on aerodynamics and anything over 55 mph starts to exponentially use more horsepower and causes exponential wind drag as well. Be careful learn good riding techniques and have fun. Check out youtube. There are lots of good traffic tips.

#5 ·
Just curious... Do you have Windshield? Without one my top speed is about 60 or 65 mph so I don't ride on an interstate without one.

Are you talking about the wind from large trucks? I try to avoid being behind them if at all possible. And I never let one pass me. When I pass I do it as quickly as possible because it's a bit turbulent for a few seconds.

#7 ·
I do not have a windshield. And I was referring to the normal wind from the weather. San Francisco, and the surrounding area, is super windy throughout the year, so I'm going to have to practice sooner or later. Where is a good place to get a windshield?

#6 ·
Practice practice practice. Like suggested above try slower highways. 55 mph speed limits for a while till you get used to the wind with the speed. Then you can step up and try the freeway again.

If you don't have a windshield think about getting one. They help with the chest winds. I refuse to ride highways without one

Semi's suck lol They will push you around. You'll learn how to deal with that by......practice :lol:

#8 ·
Practice practice practice. Like suggested above try slower highways. 55 mph speed limits for a while till you get used to the wind with the speed. Then you can step up and try the freeway again.

If you don't have a windshield think about getting one. They help with the chest winds. I refuse to ride highways without one

Semi's suck lol They will push you around. You'll learn how to deal with that by......practice [emoji38]
Thanks for the advice! I am going to look for freeways near me that are 55mph. There is one near my house; however, the cars are usually well above that speed limit...

#9 ·
Hey everyone I have a quick question for you all about riding on the freeway: how do you get used to the wind pushing you? I just started riding about 3 weeks ago and just hopped on the freeway for the 1st time yesterday, and it was pretty scary. The speed isn't the issue, it was the wind(I live in the Bay Area). I am worried that it may push me into another car or something. Maybe I could get some advice/pointers.
Just to echo what others have said Practice...

I have one really bad spot here that I have to cross every time I visit a friend (which is fair amount) it is a wide open area off the water which is just about always hammered by high winds that cross the highway at 90degrees. It has pushed me into the passing lane once or twice.

A couple of tips. Reduce speed and counter steer into the wind as best as possible. I have even lowered my body into the bike to reduce drag and surface area for the wind to hit.

Hope this helps

#12 ·
The only thing I have to add is your near the ocean and you will get hit with gusty winds that a window shield might not help with. Bridges can be way to much fun. I go over a long bridge and if the tide is coming in or out you get hit with a gusty crosswinds. High bridges are the same especially at the tops. I don't usually ride in the middle of the lane but if the wind is gusting I do. That way I have plenty of room to move around in the lane. I've never been blown hard enough to send me across into another lane but that has to do with practice. I don't use a windshield much. Long trip on the highway and I would use a windshield but not for under 100 mile rides.

Steel deck bridges suck and so does road construction were they are grinding down the pavement and it leaves grooves. Those are not fun, you need to slow down if you end up in either of those situations.

#14 · (Edited)
The only thing I have to add is your near the ocean and you will get hit with gusty winds that a window shield might not help with. Bridges can be way to much fun. I go over a long bridge and if the tide is coming in or out you get hit with a gusty crosswinds. High bridges are the same especially at the tops. I don't usually ride in the middle of the lane but if the wind is gusting I do. That way I have plenty of room to move around in the lane. I've never been blown hard enough to send me across into another lane but that has to do with practice. I don't use a windshield much. Long trip on the highway and I would use a windshield but not for under 100 mile rides.

Steel deck bridges suck and so does road construction were they are grinding down the pavement and it leaves grooves. Those are not fun, you need to slow down if you end up in either of those situations.
Me too, and I also was going to mention the steel-grate bridge decks or scarified pavement that is ready for repaving.

I’m in Meggett, and you’re in Bluffton, so I’m sure you too get the pleasure of riding over the ICW with some frequency. I get it on 174 headed toward Edisto Island, while crossing over the Edisto River/ICW.

For the OP, I have a 750 and a 1300. My 750 has no windshield, fairing, etc. My 1300 has a Memphis Fats windshield. I take my 1300 on the interstate, but I try not to take long rides on the interstate with my 750. I’ll do what I have to do, but generally my big bike is heavier and more stable to begin with. A lighter bike will be blown around a little more. And remember, your body is a sail, so leaning over the gas tank can help you if it gets too windy. Also, the gyroscopic effect of the wheels will help keep you up at speed, you just need to keep making micro-corrections to adjust for wind conditions. We all get moved around in our lanes in gusty, windy, conditions. We’re not like chickens:

#15 ·
Yes, Cerberus I have been across that bridge. Actually, there are some interesting riding roads around here for new riders.

I don't know if you have ever run down to Savannah but that can get interesting. I come out of forest in Bluffton and a couple of miles to Savannah on 17 is a wide open 2 lane road with savanna on each side. I never know what wind conditions are going to like. Basically, I come out of the forest then take a run down about 3 wides of wide open savanna where the wind can be howling then up the bridge that is 180 feet tall I think? Something like that because a big ocean going ship can be going right underneath you while you cross the bridge blowing all over the place.

Some days the wind is fine, kind of a crap shoot on how that is going to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.