Helmets... - Page 4 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer View Post
I bet if you look at your Schuberth C3-Pro you paid a couple hundred for, you'll probably find a sticker on it that says "Made in China" or "Made in Pakistan". This could just be a "promotional" thing to see how much people want them, and then they'll jack the price up once the "promotional" ones are gone. I've seen it quite often on eBay, where a manufacturer will have a limited amount for sale extremely cheap, and then jack the price up when those are gone, and they have more available at a higher price. Heck, even brick and mortar stores sometimes will have a deeply discounted price for sale on items they want to get rid of stock on, when they have too much. Could be the same thing here. I think if you really checked the labels on everything you buy, you'd find that quite a bit is either "Made in China", or "Made in India" or "Made in Pakistan". Are those that much worse than other stuff, quality-wise, that looks identical? I've gotten quite a few things from China that were as good or better than the same stuff from other places. If you don't want to take advantage of the deal, fine, but why poo on anyone else trying to save a buck to get something decent that they need?
LOL! ...Kinda ran the whole gambit there, dintcha? ;0)

...Real Shcuberth Helmets are Made in Germany - not Pakistan - and not China. ...and I uh... ...paid about $750.00 for it (at that time). Lots of reasons why; quietest, lightest weight - best aerodynamics and largest eye-port in it's class, comfort, minimal build size, extraordinary safety testing ..that kinda thing! ...but Also for the fact that it has DOT (and FMVSS) certification ...unlike the one on Ebay for 25 bucks.

...Now ...if you want to buy a cheap-Chinese knockoff Helmet for 25 bucks (and, minus that free-shipping cost you might be looking at about $7.50 worth of manufacturing and materials there ABQ'), ...and if you actually WANT to put your head inside that thing made of less than ten-bucks of manufacturing and materials - a thing without even DOT certification, then you go right ahead ..I wouldn't be recommending that anybody else does tho.

BUT ...If you do, make sure you guys and gals pick-up a DOT sticker off eBay too.. Some may not want that ticket after-all!
...Either way, I'll definitely be sh!tting on that particular knockoff, if it's okay with you.

...Ain't nothing wrong with saving money, and nobody Needs to spend 700+ on a helmet - especially for the fact you can buy so-close to the same for less than half that amount of money. And yes, you CAN get a deal on REAL and Ethically Manufactured Chinese Goods, ...but, ...if you are going to buy an Actual helmet. A Real one that is.. Buy one, not a fake one. And if you MUST buy a fake helmet - and this is up to you ...I (personally), would spend more than ten dollars on manufacturing and materials if I were to consider "safety" a main reason for buying it.

Each to their own though, and, as-you-were.

My favorite helmet these days is my Arai XD-4 .. (featured below, me standing next to my Tiger) .. All fighter-pilot BS aside, it's a great helmet, and that peak is invaluable for dealing with the sun. The Schuberth has the drop-down sunshade - true enough, but that peak on the XD-4 just works great for editing out the sun (.), which is a real-upside in the mountains, as you tend to find yourself pointed towards the sky 50% of the time.

OoOoooo dammit! Gotta work!

Family, Friends, Love and Life..
Take Care and Ride Safe,
Mark..

C u r r e n t ... S c o o t s:
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - 2015 Triumph Tiger XCX

Last edited by Mark-B; 05-09-2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Typos!! ..always the frikkin' typos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:33 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1999
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
They may be factory rejects on the way to the dump and were stolen - ???

Curiosity killed the cat and it is killing me also. I ordered the Schuberth .

We will see what $25.00 buys from China with a fancy name on it .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schuberth-C...W/382933772019

LOL. This should be interesting. I did order the Shoei but the delivery time was a range of about 5 weeks so who knows when it will get here.

Reply to an email I sent.

Itís real helmet!if u donít believe it,plz donít buy!!!!!

wei77109
邮箱:[email protected]
Signature is customized by Netease Mail Master
On 05/09/2019 08:49, eBay - wrote:
wiemx1,你好!

This can't be a real Shoei Neotec for the price you have listed. Is this made by Shoei?

!999 VT1100C
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:43 AM

Model: Spirit
Year: 2002
Garage
Any helmet is better than no helmet. I suggest at least a minimum safety rating on your helmet. My biggest recommendation is to ride safely. I use the AFX which fits me correctly, is comfortable and quiet which helps me to wear it.

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyP View Post
That Shoei you posted is a $700 helmet, for sale straight from China for $25? I believe all Shoei's are made in Japan. You're saying a Shoei helmet made it over to China were they could make money selling it at $25?

I think I will buy that Shoei just see what it is. Think Ebay will give me my money back if it's a knock off? How to prove it's a knock off is a different matter.

BTW the Chinese have gotten very good at knocking off products that are dead ringers for the real things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
They may be factory rejects on the way to the dump and were stolen - ???

Curiosity killed the cat and it is killing me also. I ordered the Schuberth .

We will see what $25.00 buys from China with a fancy name on it .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schuberth-C...W/382933772019
Sometimes, sites like these run the charges, but never deliver the goods. Other times, they may take your information and sell it to those who will use it for financial gain. Of course, I bought an Ovechkin jersey years ago through a site, and after about 6 weeks or so on a slow-boat-from-China, my jersey arrived and looked great. So, it was a roll-of-the-dice for you guys, with your personal information/credit card being what you’ve anted-up with. Just sayin’

Btw, I’ve got the “$700” version of the Shoei, and it is a nice helmet. I just prefer my half-helmet for field of vision, wind in my face, and my nose doesn’t “tickle” in the half-helmet. And THAT is where I roll-the-dice.

Last edited by Cerberus; 05-10-2019 at 12:38 PM.
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:46 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Ebay is very reliable for getting a problem solved. Money back if seller skips.

I always think of pictures like this when ordering from China.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Where is my Chinese order.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	262532  

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:38 AM

Model: Spirit 750 VT750DC
Year: 2003
Garage
To all of you who berated me for posting the links to those helmets, I didn't actually tell anyone to get one. I merely posted a question about them, asking what you thought. Yes, it takes a lot longer time to get items from China, but I've gotten several items this way, and they've almost always been quality material and good looking and have done the job I bought them for. I'd still rather trust my noggin' to a cheap helmet than no helmet at all, and since lots of people can't afford $700 for a helmet, any of those knockoffs would be better than nothing. If you don't like them, then don't get them. Nobody is twisting your arm.

Besides, a friend of mine actually bought one of the Nolans (the red one), and he said it appeared to be a scam for him, though it could actually still be on it's way. Both eBay and PayPal have always been good for me getting my money back in cases like that, though it may take a month or so to get it back in my account, but I wouldn't be worried about it, and they don't actually have my credit card or other personal info that way, either, so I'm still protected from identity theft too. Thus, I'm NOT recommending those helmets, but I'm also not going to automatically assume that all the others are the same situation. If they were all sold by the same company, then I'd be suspicious. I'm still looking for a modular dual-visor helmet, but I haven't totally tossed out the idea of getting one of these cheap ones, but I will be cautious.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

Ride Bells by blue flames & shadowride69 (THANKS!!)
'13 Harley Dyna Super Glide (FXDC)
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:24 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
@ABQ-Jammer, you just provided information and I think it is good be open minded. You get what you pay for most all the time.

So buyer beware.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:24 PM

China may be faster than Boca Raton FLA for some of us....
Been waiting almost 2 weeks on a package from there, it got within 3 hrs of me...sat there for 3 days, now, it's in Honolulu.....
Nope, u didn't suggest those lids, just posted it with opinions. I agree, cheap is better than NO lid, but....few bucks more for a real one is what I would do, but, I totally see your point and a few others here.
I personally couldn't do $700+, but, $275 or so for a real nice quality was doable, now....may not be able to stomach that much, but it would still be quality, just less options, for ME.

No Sig, someone whined and I lost it.. Crybaby....

Ride Bell By The Bride and Canyon
Retired bell by Old Dad
2 time BOTM winner
06 VTX Glide & 05 ST1300
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer View Post
To all of you who berated me for posting the links to those helmets, I didn't actually tell anyone to get one. ...
Not berating you, buddy. Just .. Google China Fake Helmets, Schuberth. Just for example.. Thereís a few links providing info by some who have had some experience with one or two of these types of suppliers and one or two of these types of products.

Itís just one of these things.. The OP wrote of an experience where she believes her life was saved by a decent helmet. ..Enter the $24.99 Schuberth.. with free shipping ... ... from China ... Now, I think the world is better off for having Crazy Dave in it, but Iím not yet unconvinced that these just might be those fabled helmets that CD warns us about!

I hope Iím wrong. But, if a person is safety conscious, and they are wearing a lid for that reason, Iím not absolutely convinced that a dirt-cheap knockoff is the better choice to get the job done. Itís either a safety thing, or itís a not.

But I have been wrong in the past! ...and I will be wrong again! ... and I will hope Iím wrong this time around.

Have a great week peeps!

Family, Friends, Love and Life..
Take Care and Ride Safe,
Mark..

C u r r e n t ... S c o o t s:
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - 2015 Triumph Tiger XCX
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:25 AM

Model: VT 750 Aero
Year: 2004
Agreed on full face.

I like the full face over other styles, I do prefer the ones with the front that raises. Still looking for one that gives better ventilation. I hate baking my brains in the helmet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page