Honda Shadow Forums banner

Helmets...

4K views 49 replies 20 participants last post by  CoreyP 
#1 ·
So... bikers have strong opinions on helmets.

I ride with a full-face, and if I had a nickel for every time a helmet-less dude biker told me I looked silly, or that riding with a helmet is (insert excuse here) I would have a whole lotta nickels.

Truth is, I hated the full-face when I first started wearing it. I'm claustrophobic. It took some getting used to. But, having the wind hit me in the face wasn't great, either, and messed with my ability to breath comfortably.

And then it happened. I smashed literally face-first into the side of a Suburban THREE MINUTES after I thought to myself, "I'm not going far, do I really need the helmet?" and the little voice said, "Just put it on, dummy."

The impact cracked the jawline/side of the helmet - and I was only going 20mph - but the angle is what did it. The helmet saved my life, I have no doubts about that. So I ride with my helmet EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Plus, look at it... it's beautiful. And I've never seen anyone else with one like it. ;)

Protect your braincase.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep that's pretty, I love purple and lavender.
Yeah I never understood the whole macho "wearing a helmet ain't cool" thing.
Also for me it was a large stone from a truck to the face that got me wearing FF helmets.
But now it's because I wear glasses with magnetic clip on sunglasses and those go flying over 30mph.
Anyone gives me a hard time about wearing a helmet I tell them to make sure they fill out an organ donor card.

#4 · (Edited)
punch them in the face with your helmet.
That will shut them up.

Glad you are OK though, it did it's job.

I have never understood why people need to comment about what gear someone does or does not wear.
I think it is stupid to not wear a helmet, I think it is stupid to wear those 1/2 helmets that do nothing, but I don't go telling people that.
Even my brother that wears a 1/2 helmet has never heard a word from me about it.

I see the effects of wearing or not wearing proper gear all the time.
I choose to protect myself and anyone that rides with me (on the bike, not on another bike), so my kids ride with me, but not without a 3/4 helmet, jacket, gloves, boots and jeans (I know jeans are not the greatest, but better than shorts).

#6 ·
That reminds me, a friend of mine years ago wanted me to take her for a ride on my then new Suzuki, she gave me a WTF look when I handed her my helmet and leather jacket, " I don't want to wear that" she huffed.
I told her wear it or you don't ride, I looked her in the eyes, and told her how I couldn't live with myself if something happen to her and I had to tell her parents why I was alive and she wasn't, because it only takes an instant, some idiot blows a stop sign or light, or a mechanical failure, my bike (car, truck etc) my rules.

#7 ·
I'm a hypocrite about safety. On the one hand, I always wear a full face helmet (90% of the time) or 3/4 (10% of the time) for safety. But at the same time, I have no qualms about heading unsafely down a long stretch of highway and push it to 150+ mph for a short stretch. I'm 73 and should know better.

I think all of us are hypocrites to some extent in different parts of our lives.

#8 ·
I used to work with a Harley rider who would always comment that I'm not a "real man" (whatever that means) for wearing a helmet.

My response would always be "Well yeah, I guess you don't really need one when you're stranded on the side of the road."

I don't usually have a problem with Harleys, but this guy was an insufferable d-bag.

TL;DR: if you wear a helmet, your brain is worth protecting. If you make fun of those who wear them, you're doing the world a service by not wearing one.

#9 ·
When PA rescinded their helmet law my son's father-in-law, a 65+ insurance agent who had been riding about 5 years immediately hung up his helmet. When I told my son, "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen." he replied, "Yes. And about 8% of the American public agree with you." I said, "Oh. I think it'd be a higher percentage than that." He said, "NO. I think 8% is about right." "What 8%?" "The 8% that ride motorcycles and wear helmets." "What about the OTHER 92%". "We think riding a motorcycle is the stupidest thing in the world."

It's all relative.

#12 ·
I have lots of experience on trail bikes and road bikes with dirt, road and track experience. No helmet is just stupid unless you are in a slow enviroment. Just cruising up and down a strip at 15-20 miles an hour. That's the only time I might not wear a helmet. For faster speeds no way. I've been hit by bird's in the head, bugs that felt like rocks being thrown at me along with various road debris that has bounced off of me. Any of you ever been in hail on a motorcycle? That's more fun than I can describe properly. Just rain hitting you in the head will hurt.

I have had some comments, believe it or not Harley riders about my full face helmet. My response is always, "I can deal with a broken collar bone something like that but I can't deal with my face being ground off. Of course I'm a pretty boy and you probably don't care that much." Also I don't really get people F'ing with me very often. If I'm around Harley riders I'm with my Harley riding friends so that's usually when someone will want to F' with me just to have some fun. They also enjoy my 99 Shadow because it is a rip off of an older Harley design. LOL. They're confused when they first see it. This is the Harley, very close to my yellow and black 99 Shadow.

#13 ·
In my opinion no helmet means no brains. I have a wife and two kids and I would hate to end my time with them just because some idiot didnt think I looked cool enough. I wear a full face and leather even in the summer in 30°C+ weather. Being a little hot at stop lights is worth riding home to my family. I dont preach to anyone about their gear choices though, for all I know they want to die.

#14 ·
I've never had anyone say anything about me wearing a FF helmet. Then again I don't hang around a lot of bikers. I do my own thing. What I've never understood is riders not wearing gloves. The first point of contact is usually the hands when coming off a bike. I'd rather keep my skin buttery smooth.

#15 ·
Speaking of helmets, I've been seeing several Nolan modular helmets (I know they USED to be a decent brand, but hadn't heard of them in YEARS), and a Scorpion modular helmet on eBay at EXTREMELY cheap prices (right around $20!), as well as full carbon fiber modular and full face helmets for about $60, and wondered what you guys thought. I also just saw a Shoei modular helmet for a little over $20!! I don't think I've seen one of them for under $100 EVER!!
Here are some links:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nolan-N100...torcycle-Helmet/382933773775?var=651596903617
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scorpion-E...ycle-helmet-NEW/382933818297?var=651596953284
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DOT-WO...-Black-S-M-L-XL/181154854375?var=480280602640
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shoei-Neot...m=372664661721&_trksid=p2047675.c100047.m2108

I SUSPECT these are "promotional" prices, available for a LIMITED time, but still...

#20 · (Edited)
Speaking of helmets, I've been seeing several Nolan modular helmets (I know they USED to be a decent brand, but hadn't heard of them in YEARS), and a Scorpion modular helmet on eBay at EXTREMELY cheap prices (right around $20!), as well as full carbon fiber modular and full face helmets for about $60, and wondered what you guys thought. I also just saw a Shoei modular helmet for a little over $20!! I don't think I've seen one of them for under $100 EVER!!
Here are some links:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nolan-N100...torcycle-Helmet/382933773775?var=651596903617
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scorpion-E...ycle-helmet-NEW/382933818297?var=651596953284
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DOT-WO...-Black-S-M-L-XL/181154854375?var=480280602640
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shoei-Neot...m=372664661721&_trksid=p2047675.c100047.m2108

I SUSPECT these are "promotional" prices, available for a LIMITED time, but still...

You would actually buy one of those helmets? They're a little on the suspect side.

I kind of want to buy that Shoei just to see what exactly they are selling? Maybe I'll get lucky and it's some guys selling helmets out of the factory backdoor.

#16 ·
That is very interesting for sure. How can they have the name and be from China?
They don't even say DOT approved, but of course that is just a decal anyone can slap on.

Not that I don't like the Chinese people or products, but I sure have second thoughts about their business ethics !

#17 ·
I have a funny story to tell about an unknown Harley rider with no protective gear...

I was coming home from work one day driving my car. It's about a 44 mile trip one way and I take the two lane back roads. I go through a short section on the outskirts of Richmond with a single red light, right before the I-75 intersection. This is a 45 mph section. I was about 100 yards from the light when it turned yellow. I started slowing down and noticed a bike coming up behind me in the left lane pretty fast. Loud Harley... Biker with a sleeveless tee shirt, no helmet, no gloves. Did have on leather boots though!

All the sudden he slams on the brakes locking the rear tire. The bikes rear end starts swinging out to the right and I knew he was going down... The dude sort of slides off the bike before it was fully wiped out, then jumps up doing a weird dance in the middle of the road! I was like, WTF? (He and the bike had stopped right beside me so I had a great view of what followed.) Then he strips off his shirt, throws it on the road and starts stomping on it! I was convinced he was on meth or something. He proceeds to pick up the shirt and shake it. A large bumble bee fell out and he violently stomps it several more times while cussing under his breath... I guess it flew down the front of his shirt and stung him! He puts the shirt back on, picks up the bike, mounts it, starts it, then sits waiting on the light like nothing had happened.

I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes... I was about to roll down my window and ask if he and the bike were OK, but figured it was best not to make his situation any worse than it was. The light turned and off he went...

Just goes to show that you never know what is going to happen when riding a bike...

#24 ·
Then he strips off his shirt, throws it on the road and starts stomping on it! I was convinced he was on meth or something. He proceeds to pick up the shirt and shake it. A large bumble bee fell out and he violently stomps it several more times while cussing under his breath... I guess it flew down the front of his shirt and stung him! He puts the shirt back on, picks up the bike, mounts it, starts it, then sits waiting on the light like nothing had happened.
That story reminds me of a time I was riding on Lakeshore Drive in Chicago. I had my visor up because it was a nice day...and then a wasp decided to fly into the opening, and landed safely right on the edge of one of the cheek pads. I immediately cut across 3 lanes to get into the shoulder, and then I promptly ripped the helmet from my head and tossed it onto the nearby grass.

#22 ·
#27 ·
I was looking at this one too. I am no expert on the brand name though.

Maybe it is just a picture of the real thing you get for $25.00 . :roll:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schuberth-...orcycle-Helmet-FREE-SHIPPING-NEW/382933772019
:-D ....I would imagine so. I own a Schuberth C3-Pro, in fact it’s the lid I’m wearing standing next to the Vic in my sig pic below and in my avatar.. Great Helmet! Very light, low profile and aerodynamic! ...Paid a tad-bit more than $24.99 for it though!! ..I bought a replacement visor for it a couple of years ago for about a hundred bucks I think!

:-D ... “$24.99” ...with “free shipping” ...from “China”. LOL! ...ahh ...what can you say? :-D

#25 ·
That Shoei you posted is a $700 helmet, for sale straight from China for $25? I believe all Shoei's are made in Japan. You're saying a Shoei helmet made it over to China were they could make money selling it at $25?

I think I will buy that Shoei just see what it is. Think Ebay will give me my money back if it's a knock off? How to prove it's a knock off is a different matter.

BTW the Chinese have gotten very good at knocking off products that are dead ringers for the real things.

#34 · (Edited)
That Shoei you posted is a $700 helmet, for sale straight from China for $25? I believe all Shoei's are made in Japan. You're saying a Shoei helmet made it over to China were they could make money selling it at $25?

I think I will buy that Shoei just see what it is. Think Ebay will give me my money back if it's a knock off? How to prove it's a knock off is a different matter.

BTW the Chinese have gotten very good at knocking off products that are dead ringers for the real things.
They may be factory rejects on the way to the dump and were stolen - ???

Curiosity killed the cat and it is killing me also. I ordered the Schuberth .

We will see what $25.00 buys from China with a fancy name on it .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schuberth-...orcycle-Helmet-FREE-SHIPPING-NEW/382933772019
Sometimes, sites like these run the charges, but never deliver the goods. Other times, they may take your information and sell it to those who will use it for financial gain. Of course, I bought an Ovechkin jersey years ago through a site, and after about 6 weeks or so on a slow-boat-from-China, my jersey arrived and looked great. So, it was a roll-of-the-dice for you guys, with your personal information/credit card being what you’ve anted-up with. Just sayin’ ;)

Btw, I’ve got the “$700” version of the Shoei, and it is a nice helmet. I just prefer my half-helmet for field of vision, wind in my face, and my nose doesn’t “tickle” in the half-helmet. And THAT is where I roll-the-dice. :)

#30 ·
#32 ·
They may be factory rejects on the way to the dump and were stolen - ???

Curiosity killed the cat and it is killing me also. I ordered the Schuberth .

We will see what $25.00 buys from China with a fancy name on it .

LOL. This should be interesting. I did order the Shoei but the delivery time was a range of about 5 weeks so who knows when it will get here.

Reply to an email I sent.

It’s real helmet!if u don’t believe it,plz don’t buy!!!!!

wei77109
邮箱:wei77109@163.com
Signature is customized by Netease Mail Master
On 05/09/2019 08:49, eBay - wrote:
wiemx1,你好!

This can't be a real Shoei Neotec for the price you have listed. Is this made by Shoei?

#35 ·
Ebay is very reliable for getting a problem solved. Money back if seller skips.

I always think of pictures like this when ordering from China.

Attachments

#36 ·
To all of you who berated me for posting the links to those helmets, I didn't actually tell anyone to get one. I merely posted a question about them, asking what you thought. Yes, it takes a lot longer time to get items from China, but I've gotten several items this way, and they've almost always been quality material and good looking and have done the job I bought them for. I'd still rather trust my noggin' to a cheap helmet than no helmet at all, and since lots of people can't afford $700 for a helmet, any of those knockoffs would be better than nothing. If you don't like them, then don't get them. Nobody is twisting your arm.

Besides, a friend of mine actually bought one of the Nolans (the red one), and he said it appeared to be a scam for him, though it could actually still be on it's way. Both eBay and PayPal have always been good for me getting my money back in cases like that, though it may take a month or so to get it back in my account, but I wouldn't be worried about it, and they don't actually have my credit card or other personal info that way, either, so I'm still protected from identity theft too. Thus, I'm NOT recommending those helmets, but I'm also not going to automatically assume that all the others are the same situation. If they were all sold by the same company, then I'd be suspicious. I'm still looking for a modular dual-visor helmet, but I haven't totally tossed out the idea of getting one of these cheap ones, but I will be cautious.

#39 ·
To all of you who berated me for posting the links to those helmets, I didn't actually tell anyone to get one. ...
Not berating you, buddy. Just .. Google China Fake Helmets, Schuberth. Just for example.. There’s a few links providing info by some who have had some experience with one or two of these types of suppliers and one or two of these types of products.

It’s just one of these things.. The OP wrote of an experience where she believes her life was saved by a decent helmet. ..Enter the $24.99 Schuberth.. with free shipping ... :-D ... from China :-D ... Now, I think the world is better off for having Crazy Dave in it, but I’m not yet unconvinced that these just might be those fabled helmets that CD warns us about! :mrgreen:

I hope I’m wrong. But, if a person is safety conscious, and they are wearing a lid for that reason, I’m not absolutely convinced that a dirt-cheap knockoff is the better choice to get the job done. It’s either a safety thing, or it’s a not.

But I have been wrong in the past! ...and I will be wrong again! ... and I will hope I’m wrong this time around. ;-)

Have a great week peeps!

#37 ·
@ABQ-Jammer, you just provided information and I think it is good be open minded. You get what you pay for most all the time.

So buyer beware.

#43 ·
You get what you pay for most all the time.

So buyer beware.
I understand that, but I've also gotten supposed "quality" products that really were NOT (like Kuryakyn flame grips that I paid $80 for, which broke, when a $25-30 pair of the same grips from China have already lasted half as long, and are still fine, and look just as good), so that statement is not 100% true. Beware? I'm not sure I would go that far. Be cautious and make sure you protect yourself from loss? Sure!

Is it really better to pay so much more for something that's supposed to be "good" verses paying half or less for the same something that hopefully, probably will never be used for it's intended purpose (protecting your noggin'), and may or may not be of the same or better quality? That's up to you to decide. I tend to think that spending so much less, even if it doesn't last as long, is probably worth it, to me, especially when I don't have that kind of cash to "invest" in one of those $200-700+ helmets in the first place, and since the helmet will "supposedly" be needing to get "replaced" in about 5-10 years anyway, even if it's never been dropped or crashed. :wink2:

#38 ·
China may be faster than Boca Raton FLA for some of us....
Been waiting almost 2 weeks on a package from there, it got within 3 hrs of me...sat there for 3 days, now, it's in Honolulu.....
Nope, u didn't suggest those lids, just posted it with opinions. I agree, cheap is better than NO lid, but....few bucks more for a real one is what I would do, but, I totally see your point and a few others here.
I personally couldn't do $700+, but, $275 or so for a real nice quality was doable, now....may not be able to stomach that much, but it would still be quality, just less options, for ME.

No Sig, someone whined and I lost it.. Crybaby....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.