Helmets... - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Model: 750 Aero
Year: 2004
Cool Helmets...

So... bikers have strong opinions on helmets.

I ride with a full-face, and if I had a nickel for every time a helmet-less dude biker told me I looked silly, or that riding with a helmet is (insert excuse here) I would have a whole lotta nickels.

Truth is, I hated the full-face when I first started wearing it. I'm claustrophobic. It took some getting used to. But, having the wind hit me in the face wasn't great, either, and messed with my ability to breath comfortably.

And then it happened. I smashed literally face-first into the side of a Suburban THREE MINUTES after I thought to myself, "I'm not going far, do I really need the helmet?" and the little voice said, "Just put it on, dummy."

The impact cracked the jawline/side of the helmet - and I was only going 20mph - but the angle is what did it. The helmet saved my life, I have no doubts about that. So I ride with my helmet EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Plus, look at it... it's beautiful. And I've never seen anyone else with one like it.

Protect your braincase.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190507_135811.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	262466  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:47 PM

Model: VT700C
Year: 1984
Garage
Yep that's pretty, I love purple and lavender.
Yeah I never understood the whole macho "wearing a helmet ain't cool" thing.
Also for me it was a large stone from a truck to the face that got me wearing FF helmets.
But now it's because I wear glasses with magnetic clip on sunglasses and those go flying over 30mph.
Anyone gives me a hard time about wearing a helmet I tell them to make sure they fill out an organ donor card.

Eventually the light always fails you.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Model: 750 Aero
Oh, goodness. Yep. That'll do it!

I get a lot of flack in general - pipes aren't loud enough, your lights are "girly," that's a good "starter bike," etc... I just ignore it. But the organ donor card.... I'm gonna remember that one.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:13 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1994
Garage
punch them in the face with your helmet.
That will shut them up.

Glad you are OK though, it did it's job.

I have never understood why people need to comment about what gear someone does or does not wear.
I think it is stupid to not wear a helmet, I think it is stupid to wear those 1/2 helmets that do nothing, but I don't go telling people that.
Even my brother that wears a 1/2 helmet has never heard a word from me about it.

I see the effects of wearing or not wearing proper gear all the time.
I choose to protect myself and anyone that rides with me (on the bike, not on another bike), so my kids ride with me, but not without a 3/4 helmet, jacket, gloves, boots and jeans (I know jeans are not the greatest, but better than shorts).

1994 VT1100C
Starfire 185/65/15 rear tire (Darkside)
Perilli MT66 Route 110/90/19 front tire
Progressive 430HD Rear Shocks
Mustang Seat
National Cycle Windscreen

Last edited by blupupher; 05-07-2019 at 04:18 PM.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Lee View Post
So... bikers have strong opinions on helmets.

I ride with a full-face, and if I had a nickel for every time a helmet-less dude biker told me I looked silly, or that riding with a helmet is (insert excuse here) I would have a whole lotta nickels.

Truth is, I hated the full-face when I first started wearing it. I'm claustrophobic. It took some getting used to. But, having the wind hit me in the face wasn't great, either, and messed with my ability to breath comfortably.

And then it happened. I smashed literally face-first into the side of a Suburban THREE MINUTES after I thought to myself, "I'm not going far, do I really need the helmet?" and the little voice said, "Just put it on, dummy."

The impact cracked the jawline/side of the helmet - and I was only going 20mph - but the angle is what did it. The helmet saved my life, I have no doubts about that. So I ride with my helmet EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Plus, look at it... it's beautiful. And I've never seen anyone else with one like it.

Protect your braincase.
I hope my wife does not see that helmet. I just bought her a new helmet, and I don't want to buy another one. But seriously, so glad you're safe!

2004 VT1100C
Aftermarket Add-Ons (so far):
  • Sissy Bar
  • Saddlebags
  • Windshield
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:34 PM

Model: VT700C
Year: 1984
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
punch them in the face with your helmet.
That will shut them up.

Glad you are OK though, it did it's job.

I have never understood why people need to comment about what gear someone does or does not wear.
I think it is stupid to not wear a helmet, I think it is stupid to wear those 1/2 helmets that do nothing, but I don't go telling people that.
Even my brother that wears a 1/2 helmet has never heard a word from me about it.

I see the effects of wearing or not wearing proper gear all the time.
I choose to protect myself and anyone that rides with me (on the bike, not on another bike), so my kids ride with me, but not without a 3/4 helmet, jacket, gloves, boots and jeans (I know jeans are not the greatest, but better than shorts).
That reminds me, a friend of mine years ago wanted me to take her for a ride on my then new Suzuki, she gave me a WTF look when I handed her my helmet and leather jacket, " I don't want to wear that" she huffed.
I told her wear it or you don't ride, I looked her in the eyes, and told her how I couldn't live with myself if something happen to her and I had to tell her parents why I was alive and she wasn't, because it only takes an instant, some idiot blows a stop sign or light, or a mechanical failure, my bike (car, truck etc) my rules.

Eventually the light always fails you.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:54 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
I'm a hypocrite about safety. On the one hand, I always wear a full face helmet (90% of the time) or 3/4 (10% of the time) for safety. But at the same time, I have no qualms about heading unsafely down a long stretch of highway and push it to 150+ mph for a short stretch. I'm 73 and should know better.

I think all of us are hypocrites to some extent in different parts of our lives.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:08 PM

Model: Aero
Year: 2007
I used to work with a Harley rider who would always comment that I'm not a "real man" (whatever that means) for wearing a helmet.

My response would always be "Well yeah, I guess you don't really need one when you're stranded on the side of the road."

I don't usually have a problem with Harleys, but this guy was an insufferable d-bag.

TL;DR: if you wear a helmet, your brain is worth protecting. If you make fun of those who wear them, you're doing the world a service by not wearing one.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:45 PM

Model: VLX 600
When PA rescinded their helmet law my son's father-in-law, a 65+ insurance agent who had been riding about 5 years immediately hung up his helmet. When I told my son, "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen." he replied, "Yes. And about 8% of the American public agree with you." I said, "Oh. I think it'd be a higher percentage than that." He said, "NO. I think 8% is about right." "What 8%?" "The 8% that ride motorcycles and wear helmets." "What about the OTHER 92%". "We think riding a motorcycle is the stupidest thing in the world."

It's all relative.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
I think it is stupid to wear those 1/2 helmets that do nothing, but I don't go telling people that.
While I donít disagree a half-helmet isnít the best choice, I wouldnít go so far as to say they donít do anything. Iíve been flipped off a bike and landed on my shoulder, hip and back of my head. If it werenít for the half-helmet, I would have cracked my skull open. So, they arenít quite useless, though they certainly donít protect your face, jaw, etc. Lets just say they are better than nothing at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page