Vibrations problems. Help ! - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation Vibrations problems. Help !

hi !

SO, my main reason I found you guys, is because I have a main issue. My motocycle vibrate ALOT when I drive.
It does so much, that i cannot feel my hands afterwards. They feels like I have millions of ants in them.
We (my bf and me) are not sure what the problem is, and when I ask at a garage, he said it was age.
But we all know their must be a reason for it.
It like parkinson. It do not arrive because of age.... I won't go into it, but it's a degenerative thing in the brain otherwise every elderly would have parkinson .....!

Please help me (I'm literally doing puppy eyes).
Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:22 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Welcome to the forum. Tell what model you have and that may help .

These Shadows don't have rubber engine mounts. They are bolted solid, So all the engine vibe will transfer into the frame. If you have a newer model they have rubber mounted handlebars.

I have a 1983 750 and the handlebars are solid. So I get numb fingers after a while also.

There are handlebars weights you can put into the ends to help counter balance the vibe some what.
Depending on the model you can 7/8 or 1 inch bars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22mm-7-8inc...JOKFBqZfQcV0kg

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:43 PM

Model: VT700
Year: 1985
Garage
Assuming your engine mounting bolts are all tight and none missing, you can mitigate the effect of a lot of vibration by making sure you don't hold a "death grip" on your bars. Allow your hands to relax a bit while you're cruising, even extending your fingers out over your clutch and brake handles with occasional stretches and curls. There are also some good quality quick-release throttle lock cruise controls that are aftermarket that you can engage for short periods of time on longer trips that will allow you to ride one-handed and alternate hands.

If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:19 PM

Garage
83 VT500 The engine was shared with the Ascot. Not known to have excessive vibration with some at about 4000 RPM. I would suggest making sure tires are good and inflated correctly and a good tune up. Perhaps check valve clearances.

G.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:50 PM

Model: VT700C
Year: 1984
Garage
My 84 700 still has the stock buzz dampers in the bars, they are about nine to ten inches long with large rubber rings on each end and they just slip in the end of the handlebars and then put the grips on. Have your bars been changed or the dampers been lost. According to hondapartshouse they are still available for around $15 each.

The rubbers are separate of course.

Eventually the light always fails you.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:24 PM

Is the buzz related to a certain engine RPM range?
A certain amount of harmonic vibration is normal in most engine designs.
If so just running with a higher or lower engine speed may help.

There are some relatively cheap handlebar grips out there that may help.
A quick way to try if that is heading in the right direction maybe something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Grab-Grips-Gr.../dp/B000WJAH5M
Check the sizing.

With my bike a VT750 ACE, a bike that vibrates worse than the VT500 due to crank design.
I chased down similar symptoms, trying various things.
I found in my case, the stock handlebars and the nerves or blood flow in my wrists didn't get along on longer rides and my hands would start to go numb and if they did I'd have a "pins and needles" sensation as they returned to normal.

I changed the angle of my handlebars in the clamps and noticed some relief, but not a complete solution, but it pointed me in the direction for my solution.

After some experimentation, sitting in the shed mocking up various positions with bicycle handlebars, electrical conduit, zip ties and duct tape to find where my hands felt most comfortable. I then took measurements and went handlebar hunting online.
I ended up switching to a different lower handlebar type with a different wrist angle and the problem went away.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:52 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
There are these foam grip puppies to help also.

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Puppy-Co...e&sr=1-1-spell

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:42 AM

Model: VT500C
Year: 1984
Garage
my 500 developed a vibration and a funny unstable feeling in corners that I thought was due to me lowering it. One day I was taking a smoke break and snapping some pics of my bike when I noticed light coming through the frame where it had no business being. Turned out there was two bolts missing! Click image for larger version

Name:	20181030_124128_1558194313900.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	262660 I have no clue how they came out or when. I had never touched them. Once I bolted the frame back together It felt like a whole new bike. You might want to check and make sure everything is tight.

🏍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page