Honda Shadow Forums banner

My bike is stalling in 1st gear

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  06 Shadow Spirit 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am a fairly new rider and just bought a 2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 CC. So far so good but i am having one fairly big issue at hand. Just put a new battery in her and she starts just fine in neutral. Once i hold in the clutch and put her in first gear while running she stalls right away. This keeps happening over and over. After some time letting her breathe it will eventually work and i can try my best to get home. It is happening more frequently recently and I am not sure of the cause.

Before I take her to a shop and they bend me over I would like to know what im talking about or have an idea of the issue at hand.

Please help, any feedback is much appreciated!

#5 ·
If it stalls out with clutch still pulled, it's probably the side stand switch.

If it stalls as you let out the clutch, try adjusting the clutch. If that fails, you say it can get you home after giving it time to "breathe". Maybe you're not letting the engine warm up enough? Or maybe your carbs need cleaning?

#7 ·
Ditto on the "does it lurch when you put it in gear" question. If the cable is too loose the clutch is not opening all the way when you pull the handle and putting it in gear is like dumping the clutch and stalling out. If the nanny wire is not grounded by the trans-in-N switch or the kickstand-is-up switch the ignition system shuts off.

#8 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

I have the kickstand up when putting it into gear, but ive started it with the kick stand down plenty of times without issue.

IT does not lurch forward it just dies instantly like i hit the off switch.

Side stand switch , that doesnt sound to expensive to replace, i hope that is the issue. Whats the best way to find out thats the issue before taking it to a mechanic? I will also mention the dirty carb to the mechanic while its there, im not to mechanically savvy at this point.

The first time it happened i ran it for an hour, stopped for a few minutes and then thats when i first noticed the issue. Its gotten progressively worse since, scared to ride it anywhere far at this point. h

Thanks for the help, like the Forum!

#9 ·
The switch will unplug at a connector up in the frame. Unplug the switch and jumper the connector on the frame side. The kickstand switch is designed to break the ignition circuit when the bike is placed in gear with the kickstand down. By jumpering the connection you fool the ignition into thinking the kickstand is up. If it runs in gear with the jumper in place, the switch is bad. It is attached to the frame and has a small plunger that compresses when the kickstand is up. It may be that you can remove the switch and try a spray switch contact cleaner on it before shelling out to replace it.

#11 ·
If it is getting worse check to see if the switch is getting loose. Some guys had them loosen and do that.

#13 ·
I would have thought it sounds like a gummed up float in the carb. Run some Seafoam or carb cleaner in the tank and run the bike for a bit. If it seems to improve than it may well be an occluded carb or fuel line. Then again I'm not sure if the 06 is carbureted or fuel injected. But I have a similar problem and have been using this bandaid for a couple of weeks while I'm waiting for money, parts and time to clean and rebuild it. If that doesn't help then I'd be looking at the kickstand switch as others have noted.

#16 ·
Hey all,

Bringing the bike to shop tomorrow for the issue we discussed. Kickstand doesnt seem to affect the bike no matter if its up or down and the switch on the frame seems clean.

Any other suggestions on what the issue at hand might be. I would like to give the mechanic some good suggestions so he doesn't have to take the bike completely apart to figure out the issue.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.