Whats everybody's occupation? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1100 Sabre
Year: 2005
Garage
Whats everybody's occupation?

Really curious what all of you do for a living since we are all at least like minded when it comes to bikes. I've been apart of a few different forums before and I always see the coolest stuff that people restore, build, fabricate, paint, ect on forums and its cool to know whether or not their occupation applies to the work they show or if they just really enjoy their hobbies.

Ill start. I went to highschool in Indiana and upon completion I went to college at the University of Northwestern Ohio for Automotive and High performance. I graduated honors and earned a few ASE's as I wanted to be a technician. However, life took a different path and I ended up being an engine machinist/ custom engine builder for a living out of Fort Wayne, IN.

Cant wait to hear all of your responses.

Alex

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:47 PM

Model: Spirit
Year: 2002
Garage
I took diesel mechanics at WTI after high school but life took a turn. I worked at Compaq until HP took it over then they pretty much broke it all apart in the USA. After 33 years of working in the computer industry from assembly, repair, testing, inventory control they hit me with the Reduction In Force in 2017. Now I am working for a local school district doing hard labor, tree trimming, dirt work, etc, got my CDL driving a dump truck and pulling tractors around some. At least this job is much lower stress and my health has been doing better.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:53 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
I was an auto tech for 40 years mostly Japanese cars. ASE Master Tech.
Now retired with a degree in TINKER-ITIS.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:19 PM

Model: VT700
Year: 1985
Garage
I was a computer systems analyst for 30 years. Started programming in 1966 in high school, then learned enough about hardware to be banned from carrying a screwdriver into the mainframe computer rooms and focused on operating systems and embedded systems software. Been a Motörhead all along, disassembling my first Rochester 4bbl carburetor in 1964 off an old 1954 Buick Roadmaster 322CID engine. Now I are a semiretired handyman with no retirement fund. Most of my money I spent on motorcycles, flying, and booze. The rest I just wasted.

If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:24 PM

My first career i was an undergroind coal miner for around 15 years but got in a rock fall broke my back and that eventually took me out of mining. Then i went to a vo- tech school for automotive technology. Got out went to work at a small chevy dealership for about 18 years. Was a master technician Finally my back problems caused me to have to retire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:46 AM

Model: VT500C
Year: 1984
Garage
When I was a kid I spend every hour I could out with my dad and his friends working on cars. In high school I took every shop class they offered, wood work, metal work, plastic work, small engines, mechanics, even textiles and in grade 12 I took a C ticket welding course at the local college. Then I got a job at a body shop and discovered my passion. I am currently partnering in a custom autobody shop. It's a pretty sweet gig. So I do all my own mechanics, paint, body, glass, electronics, upholstery, tires and stunt work.

🏍
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:10 AM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Been working for GM for the last 51 years.

The first 40 were as a Tool & DieMaker, the last 11 have been in working on top secret prototypes for GM future propulsion systems. I have no plans on retiring any time soon, but that's subject to whim.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:47 AM

Canadian Military for 15 yrs...Infantry..then went Navy as an Operator (radars etc) then remustered to the Air Force as aircrew on the CP 140 Aurora (P3C) again working with radars etc etc....Moved to the USA....Wife had a better job here..so I started off at square 1..Was going the Paramedic route..but changed course and have been a Registered Nurse since 2009 and now run a small Govt health unit.

Bikes:

1978 Yamaya MX80
1970s Homemade bike, like 50cc..
1981 Yamaha XT 200 Enduro
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:54 AM

Garage
Went to HS in NoVa, then college at UT Knoxville and MTSU as an accounting major, but quit after 3 years and a marriage; never went back to finish. About that time, the US went into a recession and jobs were hard to find, but I finally found one in roofing. And I don’t mean shingles; I worked doing “hot work,” which eventually changed with the industry to synthetic roofing systems. Anyway, ran crews for a few years before finding a job as a roofing/waterproofing consultant. Been doing consulting work since around ’89.

FWIW, Roofing/Waterproofing Consultant: Spec. writer for Div. 7 in construction project manuals, create CADD detail drawings, perform pre-purchase due-diligence inspections, perform quality control inspections, consult with architects, provide court testimony as expert witness, etc.

Last edited by Cerberus; 06-19-2019 at 08:07 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:58 AM

Model: VT750C2F Spirit
Year: 2009
I earned a degree in computer engineering, and have been doing cyber security for a long long time.
Also a war zone deployment got squeezed in there near the beginning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page