New member just got my first Shadow. More motorcycle, more problems? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

New member just got my first Shadow. More motorcycle, more problems?

Hi, I'm new to the cruiser game but Honda's the best and I've always said I wanted a Shadow for a cruiser. This bike is so freaking cool but since I've gotten it home it has done nothing but made me miss my Hornet.

So I purchased this 1986 Shadow VT1100c running from a guy in GA. It was lovely and for a good price. Maybe too good? But it was just what I was looking for.

I bought the bike and rode it home with minimal issues. It made an enjoyable ~300 mile trek that got me home in the evening. I was so excited to show my SO in the morning, so our first time stepping outside I had to start it for her. Owner stated it takes a couple starts in the cold to get it going. A couple starts is all it took before the battery died. Great. Added that moment to the long list of running jokes my SO gives me **** for. Got me one of those snazzy Lithium Ion batteries to get the engine turning. But not without issues, now.. and the battery isn't the source of the problems.

But I feel like I screwed myself on this whole thing. I ignored red flags that I may should've walked away from. Number one being the bike was freshly warmed up when I got there. I think my excitement stifled my prudence. The other red flag was that it did this thing where when snapping the throttle wide open it bogged. You could gradually get on it and get power, but if you opened it too fast it fell on its face pretty much. His story on that was it all went away after warming up completely because it didnt like running cold. Everything else checked out, so I left with it. Proper temp or not, that thing never went away. I figured it was something I could get to over time. Research showed a possible main jet improperly sized.

Well ever since getting it battery power, it hasnt ran right. When I finally did get it started, it was spitting and sputtering. Didnt want to ride right at any throttle position now. I put 87 octane in the whole way up. apparently this bike requires 91+ which is all the previous owner put in it as well. Oops. I figured that had to be all that was causing this issue. Drained the carbs and as much of the tank as i could, topped off with 93 and a swig of octane booster to hopefully sort that out. Still sputtering, but not as bad, but still sputtering. I changed out the plugs hoping that maybe the improper gas caused improper combustion which could've gapped or charred them. Things seemed cleared up at this point on the short ride around the block. I was ecstatic. The bike was at least running and riding at this point, similar to how it was running when i got it. So I figured i'd try a 25 minute ride out to test her. Road fine at first but progressively started sputtering again till about 10 minutes out when it just died. :/

Thankfully a motorcycle dude I know came and picked it up with his trailer and it sits in his garage to this day (this happened around easter). We have both been tinkering and have been absolutely stumped

SO THATS MY STORY! Hi Shadownet! I bought a Shadow that got me home and croaked. I was hoping for some technical discussion but apparently I have to post first, so heres #1.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20190407_153332_1138.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	263540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20190409_095752_1891.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	263542  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:41 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Welcome. When it acts up, stop and drain the fuel from the float bowls to see how much comes out. If not an ounce or so it may be staving from a bad fuel pump. Add some Seafoam to see if that helps at all.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:32 PM

Garage
First the starting procedure cold engine is FULL choke; NO throttle. Warm engine is no choke slight throttle. Don't "blip".

Second the engine requires 87 octane and that's all. If there is a problem the using a higher octane will just disguise the problem.

Third the bike may have sat for a year at some point with no fuel stabilizer. This typically gums up the carb jets and will cause your bogging and also may cause poor stating depending on which jets are gummed. The quick solution is Seafoam but if really plugged then carb disassembly and cleaning,

G.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:52 PM

More than likely stale old fuel but I would also check and make sure the battery is being charged. If the voltage drops enough it can cause the same symptoms

“My father says almost the wholeworld’s asleep. Everybody you know,everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:31 PM

Model: VT700
Year: 1985
Garage
Welcome. My guess is that the 300 mile ride home required refueling, so that might rule out stale gas unless the station(s) has some issues. The 87/91 octane is discussed thoroughly on the Fuelology thread. 87 US is same as 91 RON. But all 3 are, indeed, possibilities, fuel pump, bad battery, bad fuel. If the battery is more than a couple years old might be a good idea to have it load tested at your local parts store. Hope you find the problem. Keep posting updates, ther's plenty of help here.

If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:34 AM

Model: Non Shadow 1982 Honda GL500I SilverWing Interstate, two cyl. transversive "twisted"twin
Year: 1996 VT1100C2 ACE Shadow
Garage
If you need a new battery get one here for about $40 shipped .https://www.batterysharks.com/.

1996 VT1100C2 ACE Shadow,1982 Honda GL500I SilverWing,1980 AMF Roadmaster w/Minarelli V1 moped.."It's the journey not the destination" Ravens Roost Overlook milepost 10 Blue Ridge Parkway,Virginia
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

trying to reply... i reckon my last response is still waiting on mods to approve? ¬¬
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouji View Post
trying to reply... i reckon my last response is still waiting on mods to approve? ¬¬
Not quite, your post was moved to its own thread
https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/93...-part-2-a.html
Different issue and you need to get your three threads in

Rider #5 in Woody's Memorial Ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page