1st generation or 2nd? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
1st generation or 2nd?

Are there still good examples of mostly original 1st generation Shadows out there.
I've seen a few on craigslist, but they mostly seem like they have been turned into bobbers or modified in other ways.
I'm looking for my first Shadow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:55 PM

Model: VT700C
Year: 1984
Garage
A few days ago I was looking for a parts bike/ rider, and there were about seven or eight nice unmolested shadows 83-87 vintages, on my local CR ,they're out there you have to look, and they might be a good distance away.
When you search CR you can set the miles from your location, that way it will include places you might not get with a regular search.

Eventually the light always fails you.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:24 PM

Model: VT700
Year: 1985
Garage
Welcome. As you look at older bikes be aware that there is a vast difference in the availability of spares dependent on model year and engine size. As an example, my 85 VT700C has a limited production 700cc engine that was only made a couple of years. It is impossible to find piston rings for that engine. (I ended up sponging off a machinist friend and "we" made mine from some rings for a sports car engine). So if you are going for an older bike that you want to restore to "original" ask the experienced gurus on this forum about parts availability before you commit to buy, and inquire as to mods they've done to make'em work.

If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:49 PM

Model: VT500C
Garage
a buddy of mine has an all original 85 VT500C. Its in great condition and Im actually planning on buying it from him. However in bone stock form I dont much care for the look of them. It looks very dated and not in a good way. Of course thats why you dont see too many that havent been modified

🏍

Last edited by Kris Carr; 06-25-2019 at 03:52 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Carr View Post
....It looks very dated and not in a good way. Of course thats why you dont see too many that havent been modified
Yep, some designs and styling are timeless but others do not age well, and unfortunately early shadow styling has not aged well at all IMHO.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
Quote:
....It looks very dated and not in a good way. Of course thats why you dont see too many that havent been modified
Yep, some designs and styling are timeless but others do not age well, and unfortunately early shadow styling has not aged well at all IMHO.
But tou can build some very sharp looking bikes out of them. I think both of us have shining examples of such

🏍
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
Quote:
a buddy of mine has an all original 85 VT500C. Its in great condition and Im actually planning on buying it from him. However in bone stock form I dont much care for the look of them. It looks very dated and not in a good way. Of course thats why you dont see too many that havent been modified
Well I am not a fan of the bobber look, so I'd rather find one that is un-molested. On the other hand a vintage bike might not be best for me anyway, I use my bikes as my sole means of transport so reliability is a must, maybe a new model would be likely to be a better choice.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
But tou can build some very sharp looking bikes out of them. I think both of us have shining examples of such
Mine is going to change more once the weather cooperates and I can get to some swap meets, I want to find a headlight pod like a 38 Pontiac

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:17 PM

Every one that gets chopped up drives up the value of those that don't.

Fashions come and go, classic never occurs right away and may never happen, but look at the prices for decent examples of every day mundane cars from the '60's, I'm not talking GTOs, Mustangs and Camaros, look at Valiants and Impalas etc.

In 20 more years those historic, market changing bikes, will be valuable, and people will be looking for the missing parts to make their's original.

Victims of fashion. I've seen several of these cycles over the years, and have lived to regret in retrospect chopping up, bikes, cars and trucks for projects.

Who knows if I'll ever get to see when the early Shadows get to that magical point, but I save everything original I take off my not as classic Shadow, so that when I'm gone my family can put it all in a dumpster.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:46 PM

Garage
My bike was almost complete, ran and had clean papers. It was free because the guy didnt want to pay to have it hauled away. Its already 35 years old and would have deteriorated to nothing had I not decided to bob it. Its true that some things gain value simply due to the fact that no one wanted them so there almost none left. Remember Edsels? While a mint condition all original 84 VT500C may one day be worth 3 or 4 thousand for the foreseeable future they are an extremely cheap entry level bike with no collector value. Since my bobber conversion my bike turns heads, I have received a ton of compliments and have even been offered way more than its worth on a couple occasions. Preserving Hondas history of cruisers in not my responsibility but I appreciate people that do want to. If you want a bone stock Shadow thats fine just dont chastise those who see something they like better buried within its bones.

🏍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page