Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next question. My battery was about dead so my neighbor tried to help and use a jump box. The engine was turning and everything was fine. I just did not have enough power in the battery.
So he went to hook it up and crossed negative with positive. Big spark and now nothing.
I have a brand new battery now, but when I hit the start button All that happens is the starter relay clicks and I can hear the fuel pump click. But that is it.
I checked the fuses in the head light and by the gage cluster. And the big fuse off of the positive on the left side.
Any ideas?
Would a power surge kill the starter?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think the starter is dead. 😡 I double checked all the fuses, they are all good. I have power to everything, lights, blinkers, fuel pump is trying to pump, starter relay is clicking like it should. I changed out the regulator just to make sure.
Then I just listened to the bike. When I hit the start button, and not sure if this is normal, but weather the selector is on “Run” or “Stop” the starter relay clicks. Is that right?
Also the starter itself is making a very quiet uuurrrruurrring sound, very hard to hear but it is there.
But it is the original 1985 starter.
So I think it is the starter, what say you all?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,847 Posts
The old bikes will still crank the stater with the kill switch off, it stops ignition power only.
But try to put power directly on the starter main terminal,connect a jumper cable there first. Then connect the negative jumper cable to a frame bolt to see if it CAN spin over. That will eliminate all wiring and switches and relay connections. If it works the starter is OK but the start relay is damaged.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks , can I try the battery charger to do this? It has a “start” function. Or should I hook it up to my truck?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try my truck, just to make sure. But the starter did not make a sound or try to move at all with the 50amp jump starter.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,847 Posts
You need a good powerful battery so there is no doubt that there is plenty of cranking amps. A battery charger is not the best source.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,847 Posts
Try to tap on the rear of the starter case when power is on.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,847 Posts
These starters draw about 80 amps so even 50 is a bit weak.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hooked it up to my pickup and jumper cables. Nothing happened. I left the truck running. I got a few little sparks as I put the positive on the post, but nothing happened. Not even a twitch. So I think it is the starter.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My trucks battery is only 2 weeks old. I just changed it. Dodge 1500 Ram, so it should have enough power to turn a bike starter, I would hope.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,847 Posts
Sounds like the starter is dead!
Take it apart as curious minds would like to know what happened. When I was an auto technician my moto was -
"Education through destruction" I learned a lot by taking apart broken parts.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is the plan. I have a “how does that work” mind. I have to take things apart. So I will order a new-ish starter and pay extra for super fast shipping. I have a long weekend coming and I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to ride this. I have had it almost a year and I have only put maybe 20 miles on it.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,847 Posts
You are welcome. Is it a mess inside?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have not taken it out yet, it was 11:00 pm here so called it a night. I will pull it tonight and look at the insides.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,847 Posts
OUCH, the reverse polarity did the number on that poor thing !🤬

·
Registered
29 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned, so forgive me if this has already been covered. One of the usual effects of reversing the battery connections is wiping out the diodes (rectifier). Given that you still had the correctly connected battery in, with a secondary reverse connection, I wouldn't bet on the outcome. However, when you put the new starter in and get it running. put a voltmeter set to the 20VAC setting across the battery. If you get anything over about 0.5 VAC, there is a diode problem. In the old days, all this meant was that the battery would not charge correctly, lights and old electrics didn't care. Modern electronics can be toasted by AC too, unless the designer built in protection.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts