Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t tell if it’s the handle bars or the forks are off. Advice on what to check appreciated.
Back story: in April I had crash where dumped to left after hitting gravel on curve. Bike was relatively undamaged, collar bone surgery for me. Got back on for first time a week ago and the handle bars have to be turned 1/4” to right for bike to go straight.
I realize I have to check if handle bar is bent on left side, and have read about leaning tire on right side against solid object and giving it a whack, but am looking for tips on checking bend in handle bars and forks for adjustment.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Support the frame, loosen all the fork tube pinch bolts except 1 lower one, then straddle the fork, hold the wheel with your legs and give the handlebars a good shake, see if everything settles back into position, then re-torque the pinch bolts.

·
Registered
05 Sabre 1100
219 Posts
You asked about the bars...
The only way i know of to check is to take the bars off the bike and everything that attaches to them. Then lay the bars on a flat straight surface with the center section of the bars forced evenly to the ground and see if one of the bar ends isnt touching.
Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
05 Sabre 1100
219 Posts
If thats good o would make the adjustment at the forks and trees.
If the bars are bent and you just adjust at the trees you may find it still dosent feel quite right.
Plus by taking the bars off you are getting the risers back straight too.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,211 Posts
The simplest thing is to loosen the 4 socket bolts on the handlebar upper holders and you may find that straightens everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts