Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shifter started rattling a little, I thought it might be loose and didn’t look at it for a few days. Then it jumped out of 3rd I believe it was. Not I can’t ride, it won’t stay in gear. Bike has 6,xxx miles on it. I bought it 2 years ago, changed the oil and saw it called for 10w-40 but didn’t know the other qualifying oil it required. I don’t know if one has anything to do with the other or not.

· Registered
160 Posts
The shifter started rattling a little, I thought it might be loose and didn’t look at it for a few days. Then it jumped out of 3rd I believe it was. Not I can’t ride, it won’t stay in gear. Bike has 6,xxx miles on it. I bought it 2 years ago, changed the oil and saw it called for 10w-40 but didn’t know the other qualifying oil it required. I don’t know if one has anything to do with the other or not.
Was it 10/40 motorcycle oil rated for wet clutches, or automotive oil?

· Registered
3,273 Posts
Every time or just occasionally? Every time would be gear dogs worn or bent shift forks possibly. Cant see the dogs being worn if that's original miles.. Could possibly be a linkage problem. If the shift arm is loose on the shaft, you could run out of travel before it's fully engaged.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every time or just occasionally? Every time would be gear dogs worn or bent shift forks possibly. Cant see the dogs being worn if that's original miles.. Could possibly be a linkage problem. If the shift arm is loose on the shaft, you could run out of travel before it's fully engaged.
Now that sounds like a possibility! That’s where I’ll start here in just a few. Yeah it’s every time weather accel or decel or just running consistent RPMs.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To clarify, you have a nearly 25 year old bike with only 6,000 miles on it? Abd it’s jumping gears? Something seems off here.
Barn find with 3700 miles on it. Yeah it’s been an awesome ride too! It had rust in tank. Owner tried to ride it, couldn’t figure why it wouldn’t run, sold it to me cheap. I treated the tank and cleaned the carbs, like new. Then this.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Attachments

· Registered
3,273 Posts
Might be why it was parked,,, still, check the shift linkages etc for any looseness/play/signs of damage. Had a Harley that wouldn't go/stay in gear, found the splines on the transmission shift arm loose and the arm was hitting the case before it would move the shaft far enough to go in gear fully.

The automotive oil was not necessarily bad if it had the MA or MA2 rating on it for wet clutches. Some 10W40 automotive oils do still have the wet clutch rating and would be fine.

· Registered
917 Posts
This is just a thought. I`m sure more knowledgeable guys could chime in.
Does anybody think doing an Engine Flush might help, or hurt, the situation?
If the problem was caused by using the wrong oil, how about adding about 7-8 ounces of Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil, or a combination of both, to the crankcase and riding for about 100 miles.
Then do a oil change with a name brand Motorcycle Oil AND Oil Filter.
Again, just an idea?
'
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Next is pulling the running board and checking shifter, linkage, and all else associated. The bike never had any indication there was any problems for over 3000 miles, then it just jumped one day and quickly got worse.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is just a thought. I`m sure more knowledgeable guys could chime in.
Does anybody think doing an Engine Flush might help, or hurt, the situation?
If the problem was caused by using the wrong oil, how about adding about 7-8 ounces of Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil, or a combination of both, to the crankcase and riding for about 100 miles.
Then do a oil change with a name brand Motorcycle Oil AND Oil Filter.
Again, just an idea?
'
View attachment 305746
Haven’t really gotten any feedback on that idea. I’ll keep looking.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts