Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, this is my first post, as I just stumbled upon this site today.
I have a 2001 Spirit 750 that I have owned it for about 2 years, it's only my second motorcycle, my first was a 250 Rebel that I did my training on. Up until now I have been totally into restoring muscle cars, but my wife's uncle got me interested in bikes also. I have done a little bit of customizing to the bike, such as billet mirrors, windshield, Cobra Slant cut pipes, sissy bar/luggage rack. But now I would like to address the lump that is the taillight and license plate holder.
I have seen a few aftermarket setups that use a Cateye LED taillight mounted under the fender coupled with an angled license plate bracket, and was wondering where guys are getting the setup from. I also wondered if anyone has found a light that will mount onto the top of the fender, and then mounted the license plate under the rear fender in place of the factory taillight. I have a lot of experience with body work on cars, so modifying a rear fender should not be a problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was not happy with the stock Honda tag/rear lamp set up myself. I really just started out moving the rear signal lamps back next to the tail lamp for bag clearance, but while I was back there cutting & welding I moved the tag bracket up too. It is a small, subtle mod that shows a bit more of the rear tire 8) and gets rid of the UGLY oversized stock tag holder. I kept the big square tail lamp as I think that riding here in FL, land of the blind blue hairs :shock:, we need all the visibility we can get!!!
Here's a rear view pic.
[/img]
I've since this pic added a chrome tag frame and clear signal lenses w/red bulbs.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I bought a cateye tail light off Ebay and a 3 foot section of 2" X 1/8" aluminum, and made a new mount for the tail light and also made a plate mount. It looks a lot better and can be returned to stock real easy. I also got smaller cateye turn signals from JP Cycles. It all made the rear end look a lot better.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
a lot of folks use Billski's taillight mod:
http://billski182.com/OriginalMod.htm alternatively, several folks on the forum use this similar set up:
http://www.mediacage.com/bw750/index.html these guys used to (maybe still do) sponser this forum.

If you want a top mount taillight you could go with a sparto style - they're everwhere right now - some of those come with a plate holder too, if you want to do it that way.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I went to Cadillac for help and this is what I got....

I'm not going back to Cadillac anymore...

Gonz

·
Registered
119 Posts
I like to be different (Gonzo still has me beat there by quite a bit), so I went this route. Made my own bracket and plan to do something with the turns as well so I can use them for a little extra light.

Found a local distributor for v-twin mfg. and had it in 2 days...

I will try to get a pic of it on the bike when I get home, I don't have one here at work.

EDIT: Here is a better pic of it installed... It has LED bulbs in the socket so you get two round lights... If you wanted, you could use them for turn signals too, but I want more light on the back, not less... I just couldn't handle the big ugly light back there. I also narrowed the turn signals some too...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THanks guys, I am thinking of going with the setup that has no license plate bracket, as I'm just not sure how much I like the wierd angle that the license plate ends up at when it's mounted under the cat-eye light. Now I just need to find a decent side mount plate bracket.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Elliboom said:
THanks guys, I am thinking of going with the setup that has no license plate bracket, as I'm just not sure how much I like the wierd angle that the license plate ends up at when it's mounted under the cat-eye light. Now I just need to find a decent side mount plate bracket.
Just keep in mind, the license plate acts as a mud flap if you drive through any water. even with mine, i get a little bit of water on the seat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts