Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My clutch froze last year and I never got to ride it at all, and I finally have the money to replace the clutch this year, but i'm not 100% sure exactly what to purchase and I was wondering if I could get some guidance.

Last year I dropped the oil and replaced the filter, so i'm going to reuse the same filter but i'm NOT going to reuse the oil because I'm not going to guess that nothing got in, or it didn't break down, or nothing will get mixed in when I take it out of the bike and put it back in. so that's where my list begins.

Is there anything else that I would need to make the job easier? Also, should I replace anything else while i'm in there?

Thanks!
Doug

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,262 Posts
I haven't changed my clutch on my 02 1100 Spirit. The metal disks are usually ok unless the clutch was really slipping and overheated, which could warp them. I always plan on reusing them and then inspect them very good and make sure they are in spec. I would check to see why your clutch froze before changing it out. Usually a clutch will slip or need readjusting. I'm not sure what would cause it to freeze up. Are you sure your clutch cable is good? Maybe it snapped and the clutch won't disengage.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Usually if the clutch freezes up, something blew up. You need to take it a part and see what is going on. Like the poster above make sure the cable is working right.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I can see the cable seems to be working fine. Although I can't see what's going on after it goes into the engine. Since I have to take it apart anyway I'm going to swap out the disks anyway. The bike itself is almost 20 years old so it could use it. Just to note, also, the clutch froze up over the winter. I drove it pretty heavily right up until early November because we were having car issues. When I went to go use it in the spring it was seized up. Essentially it would start fine in neutral, but as soon as I kicked it into first it would stall because it would not disengage using the clutch lever. I was able to drive it by running with it then turning it on, but again it would not disengage in order to shift.

Should I also replace the cable too?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts