Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, looking into new pipes, and it seems that the 01 VT1100C is somewhat limited on what you can get from the AM. I see the Vance & Hines Classic II, cobra drag pipes, and hard krome american classic II. So, what's the concensious / feedback on these compared to each other? Pros / Con's?

Also, the limiting factor seems to be the chrome cover/tool compartment on the right side (its a different design from the Sabre and ACE) - can that just be replace with the sabre's and then open the option for the pipes that fit on that bike?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I recommend the Vance & Hines Pro Pipe that is made for the Sabre. It fits perfectly except as you stated the side cover does not line up correctly. That is purely a cosmetic issue and if you remove the lower part of the inner cover it doesn't look bad at all with the stock cover. I originally bought the replacement cover that used to be available from Rifle fairings but I wasn't very happy with the quality of the chrome on it and it was a pain in the ass to take on and off because of the tight fit.

A couple of years ago, when I installed an aftermarket fuel pump under that cover, I went back to the stock one because I wanted quick access should something go wrong with the pump. I think it looks fine this way.

Here's a pic of my bike with the Pro Pipe and the stock cover (I removed the lower part of the "inner cover"):

And here is a vid of the bike running. In my opinion the Pro Pipe makes the best of the 1100's rather uninspiring exhaust note. The nice big muffler allows for a deep tone. Also in the vid you can see the aftermarket cover I bought from Rifle fairings. As far as I know they no longer produce it though.

https://youtu.be/6anisKOp5W4

One last thing DO NOT get the Cobra Drag Pipes. That's what my bike had on it when I bought it. They sound horrible. Very tinny and blatty. Plus the quality of them is pretty shoddy, they are very thin single wall pipes and blue very quickly even with proper jetting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recommend the Vance & Hines Pro Pipe that is made for the Sabre. It fits perfectly except as you stated the side cover does not line up correctly. That is purely a cosmetic issue and if you remove the lower part of the inner cover it doesn't look bad at all with the stock cover. I originally bought the replacement cover that used to be available from Rifle fairings but I wasn't very happy with the quality of the chrome on it and it was a pain in the ass to take on and off because of the tight fit.

A couple of years ago, when I installed an aftermarket fuel pump under that cover, I went back to the stock one because I wanted quick access should something go wrong with the pump. I think it looks fine this way.

Here's a pic of my bike with the Pro Pipe and the stock cover (I removed the lower part of the "inner cover"):

Thanks for that post! I really wanted the pro pipe but didn't know how to fit it - now I do!

I had seen the vid and was wondering how he fit it with that side cover. I'll just take off the bottom piece like your bike and go that route - I think that looks great.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I put the vance and hines long shots on, is the one for the sabre and fits and sounds great. You can barely tell the cut out in the come is off, I only notice it when I look for it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So in ordered the 2-1 V&H last week ? and should be in today or tomorrow!

So I assume that with this pipe I'll be needing to re-jet (which I ordered as well) - just wondering how involved / mechanically technical is that work? Am I better off just paying my local shop to throw it in, or are the cost savings more weighed in favor of one doing it themselves? I can crank a wrench and work on my 4Runner myself (suspension, electrical, "surface engine" items) - just never done actual engine internal work other than spark plugs, filters, etc. maintenance work.

Thanks for the help again on my original inquiry

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,641 Posts
No matter what jets you ordered, take a look at the Dynojet site where you can look up your bike and review the full instructions for the rejet. Its not difficult if you have a shop manual. Otherwise call a few local shops and they can quote.

G.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
The re-jetting process isn't hard at all. It's just time consuming, removing all the stuff to get the carbs out, and then of course putting them back in. Changing the jets and needles is the easiest part of the whole job.

There's a good how to in the sticky section at the top of the technical forum with pictures. If you're reasonably mechanically inclined it shouldn't be hard at all. It will just take a while the first time. Probably about 2 hours.

I re-jetted and added a UNI filter at the time I installed the Pro Pipe. I used a dyno-jet kit and I believe I ended up using the 175 main jets. I also ordered new 45 pilot jets and put those in place of the stock 42 pilot jets.

Here's a link to the re-jetting instructions:

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72.../70238-jetology-link-microsoft-word-file.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I re-jetted and added a UNI filter at the time I installed the Pro Pipe. I used a dyno-jet kit and I believe I ended up using the 175 main jets. I also ordered new 45 pilot jets and put those in place of the stock 42 pilot jets.

Here's a link to the re-jetting instructions:
Did you find the pilot jet change necessary? With the pilot being adjustable, I wouldn't think you would need to mess with it - just wanted your take on it. I'll have the pro pipe, a K&N filter, and new plugs (they should be a little hotter than the stock ones that are currently installed), when the kit is installed. Also, I shouldn't be higher than 3-4,000 ft in elevation - right now I'm in Anchorage which is sea level.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
The pilot change is not absolutely necessary but in my opinion its worth it. With the stock pilot jets I had a slight stumble just off of idle. No amount of adjusting the screws helped with that. Putting the 45s in eliminated it. Its also much less cold blooded now and starts better for sure. I only need the choke on very cold days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pilot change is not absolutely necessary but in my opinion its worth it. With the stock pilot jets I had a slight stumble just off of idle. No amount of adjusting the screws helped with that. Putting the 45s in eliminated it. Its also much less cold blooded now and starts better for sure. I only need the choke on very cold days.
Good to know! What brand/where did you get your 45 for the pilot jets? I'd be interested in this being that I'm up here in Alaska and even on the slightest cold day I'm choking for a few minutes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
One last thing DO NOT get the Cobra Drag Pipes. That's what my bike had on it when I bought it. They sound horrible. Very tinny and blatty. Plus the quality of them is pretty shoddy, they are very thin single wall pipes and blue very quickly even with proper jetting.
Not sure why some people don't like the Cobra Drag pipes. I thought they were fine. I've got the same bike, and the only reason I switched exhaust was so I could fit the biggest saddlebags possible. They look decent, sound good (to me), and run real well as long as the jetting is done properly.

My two cents

Disclaimer: Not an expert!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Good to know! What brand/where did you get your 45 for the pilot jets? I'd be interested in this being that I'm up here in Alaska and even on the slightest cold day I'm choking for a few minutes.
I ordered them from jets-r-us. They were only a few bucks a piece if I recall correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.