Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have slip on mufflers I want to install but not sure how to remove the existing stock mufflers on my 02 Honda shadow spirit vt1100. Everything I've seen people were cutting them off but the bikes they had were Aeros and Aces. I couldn't find anything about the Honda shadow spirit vt1100. How easy is it to remove the stock mufflers?

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
You would have to cut them also. The crossover tube is at the bottom of the headers where the two pipes come together to run out the back. I dunno if you have enough meat to clamp to if you cut in front of the crossover. You may need to cut behind it and leave it in or remove the crossover as well and weld up the holes.

·
Registered
295 Posts
not sure how to remove the existing stock mufflers on my 02 Honda shadow spirit vt1100.

How easy is it to remove the stock mufflers?
Each muffler body is attached to a head pipe with a clamp. The crossover tubes from one exhaust can to the other are attached to each muffler body towards the front of that body and they have a clamp also to hold them together.

So, all you need to do is loosen those 3 clamps (exhaust can body to head pipe, and crossover tube's clamp) and of course the muffler can mount bolts to bike frame itself, and the cans can be tapped off of the head pipes with a mallet and block of wood. I would do it with the exhaust system removed from the bike.

Once removed, the rear head pipe will stick out just past the chrome cover and the front head pipe will be recessed further up inside of the chrome cover.

If the slip-ons that you have are specifically made for the late model VT1100 Spirit it will be a drama free project.

Any muffler shop worth it's guff can make any size connecting pieces found necessary to complete joining the slip-ons to the head pipes (that also includes any necessary bends or flares).

I keep seeing the word 'cut' used. I guess I just don't understand why?

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
A louder Spirit "twin pin" motor is not very pleasing sound but to each their own.

Vs the lower hp "single" pin HD sound

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you
Each muffler body is attached to a head pipe with a clamp. The crossover tubes from one exhaust can to the other are attached to each muffler body towards the front of that body and they have a clamp also to hold them together.

So, all you need to do is loosen those 3 clamps (exhaust can body to head pipe, and crossover tube's clamp) and of course the muffler can mount bolts to bike frame itself, and the cans can be tapped off of the head pipes with a mallet and block of wood. I would do it with the exhaust system removed from the bike.

Once removed, the rear head pipe will stick out just past the chrome cover and the front head pipe will be recessed further up inside of the chrome cover.

If the slip-ons that you have are specifically made for the late model VT1100 Spirit it will be a drama free project.

Any muffler shop worth it's guff can make any size connecting pieces found necessary to complete joining the slip-ons to the head pipes (that also includes any necessary bends or flares).

I

I have 2 voodoo universal turn out pipes that I would like to put on the bike but I wasn't sure if they wuld work because everyone is saying the pipes have to be cut off which I didn't understand why

1 - 8 of 8 Posts