Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is boys and girls, my 02 Sabre. The auction bike with 5650 miles. Still need to put tires on it, and the sticking clutch needs work, but it has cleaned up nice and I can't wait till spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
Looks pretty good !

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
Nice catch. Always liked the Sabre but never pulled the trigger on one.

I hope the clutch issue turns out to be an easy fix and you can get out that thing soon. You may want to consider posting what the issue is, and the steps you took to fix it. That could help someone with similar issues at some point.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice catch. Always liked the Sabre but never pulled the trigger on one.

I hope the clutch issue turns out to be an easy fix and you can get out that thing soon. You may want to consider posting what the issue is, and the steps you took to fix it. That could help someone with similar issues at some point.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks. The bike hasn't been on the road since 2012. The clutch plates are said to be sticking together, so I can't get it in gear. An acquaintance with knowledge of the Sabre, suggested that I start it and get some help and push it along and throw it in gear to separate the plates. Or, I can drain the oil, remove the clutch cover and remove the plates and reinstall. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
Get the engine warmed up and shut it off. Pull the clutch and put it in 4th gear. Then try to rock the bike back and forth to see if it can break loose.
Does the clutch pull feel snug all the way when the lever is pulled like it may be releasing OK?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get the engine warmed up and shut it off. Pull the clutch and put it in 4th gear. Then try to rock the bike back and forth to see if it can break loose.
Does the clutch pull feel snug all the way when the lever is pulled like it may be releasing OK?
Thanks for the advice. The pressure on the clutch lever is snug all the way when I pull it in. I will try the warm engine/4 gear proceedure very soon and will let you know. Just need to put the battery in.

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
I hope it helps. But you could even try it now before a new batery. Just that the oil will be cold, but it still may work. Cold oil still should be slippery anyways.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope it helps. But you could even try it now before a new batery. Just that the oil will be cold, but it still may work. Cold oil still should be slippery anyways.
During the winter, I put my batteries on the charging bench, but I can get it started. I will try warm approach, I like to keep them turned over during the off season, anyway. Will keep you posted. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a thought...any chance the clutch cable is broken? Anyway, hope you get this sorted out.
Possible, doesn't seem to be broke. Bike only has 5650 miles on it. Story goes, it was traded in a few years ago, the dealer had $3,000 in it and wanted $3900. (high retail) No takers, and it was sold at auction, to make room on the floor. They said the bike just been sitting and the clutch plates are stuck together. Still has the original tires on it, stamped 01. Kind of a one of those "old in the barn finds".

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
Possible, doesn't seem to be broke. Bike only has 5650 miles on it. Story goes, it was traded in a few years ago, the dealer had $3,000 in it and wanted $3900. (high retail) No takers, and it was sold at auction, to make room on the floor. They said the bike just been sitting and the clutch plates are stuck together. Still has the original tires on it, stamped 01. Kind of a one of those "old in the barn finds".
I think you're right. 5650 miles would be nothing on a cable. With the plates stuck, if you get them apart, do you clean them and re-install the way new clutch plates would go in, or do you think it would be easier to get new plates and go that route?
Either way, that's a heck of a 'barn find'.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have read about rocking a bike back and forth slightly with the clutch pulled in and that it unstuck the plates. I wouldn't put an extreme amount of force on it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Can you start the bike? If so, start it in neutral, push it quick as you can and hop on it, drop it in 1st gear, ride slowly and pull your clutch in and out. The pressure along with the hot oil and torque most likely would free it up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts