Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Just looking for some ideas as to why my bike won't turn over. I winterized it, put in fuel stabilizer, took the battery out, etc. Went down to my storage area this morning after about 2 months, wanted to fire it up to make sure everything was OK. Put the battery in, turned it over, had to wait a bit for the fuel to get through the carbs, finally fired it up, ran it for a couple of minutes with the choke on, turned the choke off and it stalled out. Fired it up again, had it at idle, decided to twist the throttle a bit to listen to my baby, it wouldn't rev up, then it stalled out again, tried to fire it up one more time, and then the bike wouldn't kick over. I have power to lights and horn, bike is in neutral. and the starter won't do a thing, thought maybe I killed the battery, took it out, attached a newly charged one and still nothing at the starter. Any ideas? Thanks for your help, hopefully with your help I can figure it out without taking it to the shop.

Peace

·
Registered
34 Posts
Use you volt meter to check and see if you are getting juice at the starter when you push the start button.
then check the ground by hooking up the cable from the negative side of your battery in the bike and touching it to the frame and motor in different places to check your ground Use a good 12v source either from your spare battery or use jumper cables from the one in the bike. and then take it from the positive side and very carefully touch it to the wire that goes to the starter. Just to see if it will engage the starter if it does it is more that likely the starter button on the handle bar.
I don’t clam to be the greatest mechanic that is just what I would do.
Good luck

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I would also check the plugs to see how they look, how much stabilizer did you put in the tank, if you did to much it could make it difficult to start, also the battery might have taken a dump after to much cranking, I would drain the tank and add some new gas, maybe change the plugs and new battery and see what happens and as mentioned could be the switch might have moisture or be dirty so may need to clean it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.