Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background, she has 30k, clean oil, keep carbs synced and pilot set. No outside leaks, no overheating issues(I think, temp light comes on rarely anyway,) engine sounds good, new battery and voltage regulator, yada yada. This isn't just my daily car, it's my only car so I take good care of it. The only problem I haven't figured out is a really slow oil leak somewhere. There's no oil in the coolant, no drips in the garage, and clear exhaust gases but I still have to top it off about every four weeks.

The problem though is that I may have overestimated the Honda reputation for durability and pushed it too hard. I've *heard* of people doing ~125-130mph, and was up around 115 when I suddenly started losing a LOT of power. Now I know speeds that high aren't legal on public roads, but it wasn't a public road so fret not. Anyway, I engine brake at first to slow to about 70, pull the clutch to coast and once the wind quiets down enough I hear the engined has stopped turning so once I'm to about 20 I try to use 2nd gear to restart it but the wheel locks up. Same in 1st gear at 15. Come to a stop and it kicks back when i hit the starter motor.

So I give 20 minutes, put a little extra oil in to be safe, and it fires right up, but now there's a clunk with every rotation and I've got about 70% power. In a few miles that falls to about 30%. I give it all day to cool, and when I try it again that night it's still at 30% power and still clunks, a little more riding(I had to get home) takes it over the point of no return and now I have a dead motor.

So my question is, what should I look at first? I'm afraid I will have to rebuild the motor, but I want to start with the most likely culprits, and a list of the things that I should change no matter what would be nice too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You asked for an expert opinion. Mine will not be expert, but it costs nothing to throw in two cents. Yes from your description there is damage somewhere. Drain the oil into a large shallow pan and look at it in the bright sunlight. Remove the filter and open it remove the paper element and pull it apart looking inside the pleats. Cam timing and valve lash still good? Everyone here could give a list of wild assed guesses but from what you describe there is damage. Now to find out how much.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
It certainly doesn't sound good.... I too think the first step is a compression test :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Maybe you cracked a piston near the wrist pin? There is really no way to know what is all damaged until you pull the whole thing apart and inspect EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I am not an expert on motorcycles but have been working on cars since I was 8. With the description you give of the incident and the presence of the "clunk" it sounds to me like either a spun rod bearing or the crank journal on the case end is wore out of round. Those two Items make a definite "Clunk" Valves hitting piston are a little more high pitched.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,242 Posts
First question: Were you using "energy conserving" oil?

As to speeds, if you go through the calculations an '02 VT1100C will NOT do 125-130 MPH. Nor even 115 MPH. The speedometer might report that -- they are notorious for reporting up to 10% high. All that aside, what made you think running your "only car" to the top end was a good idea? Nevermind. I don't care -- though it does seem like the root cause of your problems. (No, not the speed. The judgment that got you there.)

Second question: Where in the world did you get the idea that "a little extra oil" is "safe?"

Third question: What does "top it off about every four weeks" mean in terms that hold some validity -- as in number of miles?

Assessment: I think XApacheDoc has it just about right. Your bike has probably been burning oil for a long time, probably because it has been poorly maintained. You have no idea what "take good care of it" means. The biggest problem with Honda's reputation? Well, seems that's already been answered and the problem is not on Honda's end.

Good luck to you. I sincerely hope all turns out well and that folks here can assist you in achieving that. But you're probably better off with a new bike -- or at least a new engine in the one you've ruined.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,459 Posts
Amazing how our reputation @ this forum is drawing people that have issues with their bikes as a reason to join. What happened to the good ole' days when we joined because we owned a Shadow that was in one piece and running? :lol:

To the OP, you need to reaccess your motorcycle skills/mechanical ability before turning another throttle or wrench. The two go hand in hand. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I've experienced similar oil consumption on two 1100 engines, in both cases no sign of leaks or smoke. This is a fairly common problem with this engine. High speeds will increase oil consumption.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Just to make sure we are not overlooking small things.... what do your plugs look like?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well crap guys, I guess I'd better come clean. Me and Pardi have something in common on this forum and it looks like we're the only ones. That sucks. Yeah, we've done something impulsive and foolish in our lives. I know. Pretty hard to admit among this crowd who obviously never have.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I had the same experience with a Yamaha XS650. It was a road rat and I abused it badly. It had a slow leak around the sprocket and I neglected it. A top speed run for about 10 minutes did it in just like yours. I had the same knock and power reduction. I pulled the motor and removed the heads and cylinders. I'm sure the oil was too low and I melted the pistons. There was aluminum embedded in the cylinder walls, and there may have been something in the bottom end bearings, but maybe not. I was going to do a 750 sleeve kit so I could beat on it some more, but just sold the case to a buddy for $50. Two years later he tossed the whole thing in the trash.

I bought a V30 Magna for $600 to replace it. A girl bought it new to ride with her then x-boyfriend. It had 2400 miles on it and she dropped it once in the garage, so it had a small dent on the tank and some scratches on the exhaust. It would not start and needed a carb clean. I beat on that one for 48k miles and it held up well, was fast for a 500.

·
Premium Member
8,872 Posts
Well crap guys, I guess I'd better come clean. Me and Pardi have something in common on this forum and it looks like we're the only ones. That sucks. Yeah, we've done something impulsive and foolish in our lives. I know. Pretty hard to admit among this crowd who obviously never have.
:shock: ..You have done foolish AND impulsive stuff?? How could that be ?? :neutral: .. IN MY LIFE.. I have NEVER .. Done ANYTHING, Either Foolish or Impulsive..

Okay so I do and did ... lots of times. :roll: ...:mrgreen:

As to the expert opining.. I ain't one.. Balloonot actually Forbade me to ever offer up an opinion on technical stuff.. BUT I would think something with those symptoms would show itself with a quick eyeballin' the minute you cracked the case.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
Been there, done that. And every time it cost me money I learned a bit more. It's called life. Mistakes have a cost and the fewer you make the better life is.;)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Just before you pull the engine... check the compression and plugs

I know it sounds bad and probably is but I have also got cheap bikes in the past that turned out to have minor issues that caused the bike to run on one pot causing loss in power, bad vibrations and rattles etc

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I started to say something like that but I was trying to be nice. I believe you probably summed it up though.
Yea, sometimes I have a hard time when people do dumb things. I'll try to take a lesson from you and either be nice or quiet.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
It's about time you fessed up. Do the moderators know? You might be in big trouble for having done something impulsive or foolish. As best as I can tell, it's just you and Pardi. I don't hear anyone else confessing.
I'll bet you feel better having gotten that off your chest.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I've experienced similar oil consumption on two 1100 engines, in both cases no sign of leaks or smoke. This is a fairly common problem with this engine. High speeds will increase oil consumption.
But how does that explain the engine seizing up..It really does sound quite serious..

John.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts