Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 VLX VT600CD
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned I have a more than decent amount of oil in my air cleaner. I completely removed this and cleaned/fully dried it under 200 miles ago and it is now like this and dripping onto the clutch housing from the bottom of the cleaner.
I’m assuming crankcase breather will be my primary “check first” is there anything else I should check? I discovered this problem while diagnosing my “unsealable valve cover” issue

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,434 Posts
What weight and type of oil are you using?

·
Registered
2002 VLX VT600CD
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so I have been having issues with valve cover seals not sealing and was reading around seeing that a clogged breather hose could cause this issue. I found the drain for the “tank” and am pulling off the other hoses now but this amount of fluid doesn’t seem to be enough to be causing my problem? I had A LOT of oil in my air cleaner within 200 miles. The first photo is what came out of the hose. I had to use a screwdriver to get some chunks out but that’s about it on the drain

·
Registered
2002 VLX VT600CD
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One hose goes to the head (directly inbetween my pointer and thumb) and the other goes to the air box. I blew through both and cleaned them. Not clogged. Did notice residue where the hose mounts to the the head (photo 2) that pool was there before I pulled the hose

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,152 Posts
99% of the oil entering an air filter housing is caused by oil foaming due to overfill. The vapour will rise from the crankcase and enter that small off-white triangular plastic resevoir. from there the vapour flows back to engine often through carb. If the oil has foamed in the crank then the resevoir may end up with a more liquid vapour and once full runs down the second breather tube to under the engine. The send tube is capped at the bottom to avoid oil dripping on tire and road. You need to drain that tube and recap and possible drain the white resevoir. As far as the cause it may be incorrect oil viscocity or type or overfill so maybe list your oil and procedure.

·
Registered
2002 VLX VT600CD
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
99% of the oil entering an air filter housing is caused by oil foaming due to overfill. The vapour will rise from the crankcase and enter that small off-white triangular plastic resevoir. from there the vapour flows back to engine often through carb. If the oil has foamed in the crank then the resevoir may end up with a more liquid vapour and once full runs down the second breather tube to under the engine. The send tube is capped at the bottom to avoid oil dripping on tire and road. You need to drain that tube and recap and possible drain the white resevoir. As far as the cause it may be incorrect oil viscocity or type or overfill so maybe list your oil and procedure.
using 10-40 weight as pulled from the service manual I have on hand. Last night I changed oil, filter, and drained completely sprayed out all 3 crankcase breather hoses so they aren't clogged. Photo 1 on orignial post shows everything that originally came out. so it wasn't full. (that came from the capped tube) double checked oil level and actually left it slightly under full mark on dipstick (checked by standing straight up and NOT threading in the dipstick) and took it out today. Put about 40 miles on and already have 2/3 "drips worth" sitting on the bottom of the housing. Maybe it usually dries out and it isn't noticed if there is a better seal on the air box?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,210 Posts
Reactions: C68Chevy

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,152 Posts
Kinda running out of ideas but here's a last gasp:

1. Has that white plastic crankcase reservoir been removed and emptied?
2. Is the oil actually JASO -MA approved?
3. Is whats collecting in the air filter housing actually oil (not coolant or brake cleaner)
4. Really last gasp perhaps your oil dipstick is incorrect. I never actually use mine and just measure the correct amount as specified in the manual and put that much in. My VT1100 crankcase breather/reservoir/airfilter housingcapped crankcase breather tube are all completely dry.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,618 Posts
I wonder if a small catch can would help with some of these oil in air cleaner problems, If there is room to mount it.
That plastic reservoir is a catch can of sorts…

Just as a side question, what brand and type of 10w40 are you using? Don’t think this is causing your issue, but just using ‘any old’ car oil can cause long-term issues with your clutch.

·
Registered
2002 VLX VT600CD
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That plastic reservoir is a catch can of sorts…

Just as a side question, what brand and type of 10w40 are you using? Don’t think this is causing your issue, but just using ‘any old’ car oil can cause long-term issues with your clutch.
MobilOne brand oil

·
Registered
2002 VLX VT600CD
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kinda running out of ideas but here's a last gasp:

1. Has the plastic crankcase reservoir been removed and emptied?
2. Is the oil actually JASO -MA approved?
3. Is whats collecting the the air filter housing actually oil (not coolant)
4. Really last gasp perhaps your oil dipstick is incorrect. I never actually use mine and just measure the correct amount as specified in the manual and put that much in. My VT1100 crankcase breather/reservoir/airfilter housingcapped crankcase breather tube are all completely dry.
I didnt "remove and empty it" but I had all the lines off and cleaned them and I shot brank fluid through the bottle and it all came out and was angled down so it would drain
and yes its oil collecting I double checked,

·
Registered
2002 VLX VT600CD
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update, the problem seems to be related to a high throttle stall that I have, the engine will cut out and stall around above 65 if you put a decent load on it (Wind, hill). I went for a decent ride the other day and was having a heck of a time stalling and when I got home there was enough oil in the air filter area that it actually poured out when I removed the air filter housing.. It looked like it was foamed really bad and mixed with moisutre. Tan color. I checked coolant and oil and both look fine.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,152 Posts
I would drain the oil and check for coolant smell. If you have moisture in the foamed oil that is likely coolant. If you determine it is coolant may be a partially blown head gasket. My guess is your stalling issue is happening due to the oil foaming. If no coolant smell, I would replace the oil with the correct amount by the manual and see if it foams again, drain and check how much fluid comes out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts