Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 'm replacing the front fork springs on my 2003 A.C.E. 750. Following the manual step by step... mostly.
I did not remove the top bridge as directed on page 13-23 of the service manual. I wrestled them out, they did resist but I won.
On the the same page it says not to us soap or oil to remove the covers does this apply to installing them as well?
I'm thinking a silicone spray would be good? Any suggestions Or just leave them off?

Jackie 20201017_183430.jpg

·
Registered
808 Posts
iirc, you can shed approx 4.4 lbs leaving the fork covers off. I used WD40 to help slide things back together. I also did dis-assemble the triple tree and re-torque the neck bearings after adding a bit of grease to them. You won't get a better chance, Pay close attention to the torque and assembly procedure on the bearings and locknut assembly..

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,040 Posts
I've had mine slid apart 3 times over the years, I gave the tubes a wipe with wax and wiggled them back in.
The 3rd time I took them off and they didn't go back on, I was wishing to lighten the look of the front end and a guy on another forum writing about the potential saving of 4 pounds tipped the scales for me. (-:
I figure it is like somewhere around a 0.8% increase in power, now who wouldn't like that. (-;

1 - 3 of 3 Posts