Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks, bear with me here. Despite having 40 years of riding experience and dozens of bikes, I’ve never had a V twin cruiser style of bike. So I picked up this 03 Shadow Spirit, 240 kit (rigid) with disc brake set up out back, kuryakin hypercharger intake and Vance and Hines straight shots. I was told carbs were jetted for the pipes, however the PO removed the baffles at some point after. My question is would removing the baffles affect carb tune, specifically from about half open to wfo? The bike fires easily, idles perfectly, and will rev smoothly while sitting. Under load it sputters shortly after half throttle and beyond, returning to its happy place at 50-60% throttle or less. PO is trying to locate the baffles for me.

I really dig the bike. Custom triple trees add a small amount of rake to the front end, the 240 set up is cool, I like the aluminum wheels(they need a good polishing) and after years of sport bikes, dual sports, sport tourers, and ADV bikes, I wanted a hot rod to roll around on. I definitely have to figure out a new seat and sort the tune, but all in all I dig it(y)
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Crankset Automotive lighting Bicycle tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
57 Posts
First let me say sweet looking bike.
If no one is going to chime in here i will. These bike struggle to be right with aftermarket intakes. The baffles might be part of the problem but the jetting on these when you mess with the intakes is hard to get right and most people end up going back to stock. I have a friend with an 02 ace 750 that has the spike intake that looks like a kuruakin but is an amazon knock off and we have done everything to get it to run right and it has the same problem fine if sitting still but as soon as there is moving air at higher speeds it falls on its face. We have tried everything and the closest we have found is a thinner sock pulled over the cone to even out the air flow. We have a stock intake sitting waiting to go back on it now just waiting for the grommets. the problem is that the air flow going in is not smooth its all choppy plus the position of the intake creates a forced air effect. So forced air plus chop causes an inconsistent fuel air mix hitting the combustion chamber IE super lean condition most of the time. An since there is no consistency it is nearly impossible to jet for. If you go oversize to compensate you end up very rich at lower speed or idle. The only way to fix it is to somehow even out the intake air flow so that its getting a consistent flow all the time with no chop. This is why we used the sock and it did help some but its also why we are going back to the enclosed factory intake.
Like i said i doubt the exhaust is the problem it may have made the problem worse but its not what created the problem

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
1,113 Posts
Welcome to the forum from West Chester, PA. Damn good looking bike. Congrats on your new hot rod. Plee911. Is correct, lots of those that have modified their intake have issues. Some claim to have gotten it running well but many have spent months working on their bike instead of riding on their bike. Hope you get it running well because that bike should be enjoyed out on the road, not just looked at. Good luck 🤞. Have fun, stay alert and ride often.

Reactions: Apexit69
1 - 4 of 4 Posts