Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 VLX VT600CD, 14040 miles.

This morning I was heading to work.
I merged on the highway and was traveling at 70-75mph and engine shut-off, no stumble no jerk movement just shut down.
As I slowed down to about 45 mph I hit the start switch and the bike turned on again and decided to head back home (my ride to work is 40miles).
As I started to head home doing about 50 mph the bike shutdown again. I pulled to the side of the rode and started again and continue to ride back home.
This is the second time this happened to me.

The first time I was riding and when I got 50 miles and the engine cut out the same way doing about 55 mph, but it would not start up at all.

Things that I have done so far.
-When I got the bike the owner was running 91 octane and I switched to 87 octane and a oil change.

The first time after the engine shutoff. I got it home on a uhaul and changed out the battery and sparkplugs and did another oil change.

Trying to figure out where to start to check for the problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Al

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just the engine shut down? how about lights and indicators? oil light come on, turn signals still work?
I wouldnt be looking for a fuel problem
Only the engine shutoff.
Lights and indicators worked. Oil light came on and used turn signal to move over to the side of the rode.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Only the engine shutoff.
Lights and indicators worked. Oil light came on and used turn signal to move over to the side of the rode.
If I were putting money on it , I go with the Ignition pulse generator, IF you have the 2 wire style.
I have to diff wiring diagrams for the same year VLX, one shows 2 wire, one shows a 4 wire. they get hot and stop working.
I'd do some more research and see if you can find out if this is has been the case with simalar complaints and symptoms.
It could be the stop run switch, but I doubt its a problem b4 the switch, as the black and white wire that feeds power to the stop run switch, also feeds power to the starter switch. I dont think your problem is here, but could be. I hear its a common problem.
wouldnt hurt to take it apart and clean it properly, if you have the tools and are capable.
It could also be a wire shorting to ground, chaffed and rubbed through.
Anyody have some info on the IPG, 2 wire or 4 wire?
How about failure rate, common enough?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
my vlx has a fuel pump, that could be the issue too, not sure if later ones still used the pump or gravity.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
No way of telling you what is wrong with your bike..these intermittant faults are always the hardest to find..put the bike on the centre stand and start the engine, then with the bike ticking over move the sidestand to see if the bike cuts out..if you only have to move it a small amount it could be dropping or bouncing because of vibration, touch the connectors to the earth or frame points to see if any are loose enough to stop the engine, look at exposed connectors first, the weather may have damaged them..then look at things that have been worked on recently to make sure nothing is shorting out, then loose fuses. try to keep the bike ticking over while you do all this. pull firmly at the wires you check, sometimes the outer sheath remains undamaged while the inner wires fray, they remain in contact held in place by the sheath until they vibrate apart.

Take your time and do it right, it's worth it.

John.

·
Registered
78 Posts
my vlx has a fuel pump, that could be the issue too, not sure if later ones still used the pump or gravity.
The 04 should be gravity fed. However, if there's an issue with the tank vent (cap), that could cause a problem such as this. Also, the vacuum petcock would be something to look at too. You would need to determine whether fuel starvation is the cause of the problem or if it's electrical. From the description, it doesn't sound like starvation since it would probably stumble a bit before dieing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on issue:
I checked all wiring and connections (unplug and re-plug).
Changed all sparkplugs once again and check gap before installing.
Removed tank and check the petcock valve and drained all fuel.
I check kickstand operation and the switch seems to be working as it should.

Put back together and decided to give a try to see what happen.
I went for a 30 minute ride around town speed aprox 35-40 mph.
No issues encountered.

I decided jump on the freeway and rode at 55 mph for about 15 minutes and no issues.
I decided to give it more speed about 65-70mph and a little incline and lost throttle response/power and heard a large pop. Engine did not shut down. I slowed down to aprox 55 mph and regained throttle/power to the engine.
I decided to take the next exit and stopped at a gas station. I shut the bike down and waited about 15 min and check connections just to make sure something did not come loose.
I got back on and started with out any issue.
Decided to use the backroads to get back home.
On my way home there was a hill as I was coming up the hill at about 45mph I lost throttle power again this time I release throttle and slowly increased throttle and regain a little bit of power. After I got over the hill I had power once again.

After that I did about 35-45mph on the backroads with no issues.

OK that is a long winded update.
What I am thinking is that the coils are not working.
I will be checking the coils and will be removing sparkplugs to check.

Any other ideas on things I should check is appreciated.

Thanks
Al

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
So the pop I'm assuming was a backfire out the exhaust?
This doesnt sound like the same issue you original stated, as just shut off.
did you wiggle the engine harness while the engine was running?
have read about some ICM problems on here as well.
does it feel like its missfiring, like one cylinders cutting out. or just bogging down, likes its out of fuel.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is that an aftermarket exhaust you have on that bike? It doesn't quite look stock in the picture but it's hard to tell. What about the intake ... are you using the stock air filter? This is really beginning to sound like a lean jetting issue (main jet). When you really demand a lot from it, it won't deliver but comes back when you roll of the throttle. Do you know for certain what size main jet you're running?

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Update on issue:
Decided to use the backroads to get back home.
On my way home there was a hill as I was coming up the hill at about 45mph I lost throttle power again this time I release throttle and slowly increased throttle and regain a little bit of power. After I got over the hill I had power once again.

Any other ideas on things I should check is appreciated.

Thanks
Al
Well that sounds different to the first fault, it sounds like fuel starvation..Dirt in the tank, fuel filter, water in the carbs, The filter is the easiest thing to check and will show if there is muck in the tank..If you have a dirty filter then it is time to remove the tank, drain it and take everything off it, block the holes with gaffa tape, and see if there is any dust or rust, if the tank has crud in it, fill it with cheap vinegar and leave it for 36 hours, this will eat away the rust and crud..flush out the tank with a hose pipe until there is not a hint of vinegar smell then dry the tank with a hairdryer..It should look like new inside...then you will need to strip and clean the carbs and check for pinholes in the diaphragms.

John.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's a good point but there is no stock fuel filter on the VLX (one might have been added though). There is, however, a small screen stuck inside the fuel line fitting on the carb. If that get's clogged up, it could cause trouble. There's also the screen on the petcock internal to the tank but that's much larger and would probably be affected by fuel level in the tank too. In any event, this is probably going to involve pulling the carb to see what's going on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Scrapdog2grand: I will research the ICM. Unfortunatly did not wiggle the connections. Did not feel like misfiring.
LIMagna: Exhaust is a Vance Hines exhaust and was running stock air filter. PO purchased the bike with them installed already. I am unsure what size jet it has.
John Hopkins: The tank looks clean. I removed it and drained all the fuel via the petcock valve. All clear no rust around. The flow seemed normal in the on and res position. (it was flowing pretty fast)

I added a can of Seafoam and using high octaine gas. I took a look at the stock filter and it was very dirty. Which I changed the filter today. I purchased a K&N Filter. I rode around town this time on one of the straightaway I gave it full throttle and maintained power the engine did not shut off nor did I lose throttle response. Granted I was only at full throttle for less then 20 sec.
Tomorrow I will test on the hwy cruising at 55 mph for little bit and increase throttle to see if it cuts out on load.
I will post results after my ride.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Generally, Honda's are set up fairly lean from the factory. Adding an aftermarket exhaust and/or air filter usually makes that even worse. I don't have enough experience with the VLX to say for sure what may or may not happen but I can say that doing both of those things to a Magna, would make it practically unrideable if they weren't accompanied by changes to the carbs (like upping the main jets several sizes, adding several shims to the needles and quite possibly also upping the pilot jets). Given that your bike had the V&H pipes when you got it, there's a good chance the previous owner may have already done that but you may need to augment any modifications now that you've gone to a K&N air filter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Update:
So I decided to put in the original OEM Air Filter (brand new) dont want to do any changes while I am troubleshooting the issue.
I went for a ride this afternoon/evening went 55mph for 10 minutes then increased to 65-70 mph. The engine cut out I rolled out of the throttle (no stumble)and regained power and keep on cruising at 55mph.
I pulled over to check and adjust idle (increase a little) just in case.
I started up again and went about 55mph then increased to about 70mph this time the engine cut in and out (stumbling) I could not regain power as I was rolling in and out of the trottle. As a increased throttle the bike stumbled more until the engine shutdown (headlights, brake lights and turn signal stayed on).
Try to restart while clutched in and moving and the engine would not start. Stopped completly tried to start it and no joy. Tried to start with the choke out same result.
Tried to give it full throttle while I hit start switch with same result.
I waited about 2 minutes trying to figure out what to do next.
I remember someone mentioning in another thread about removing the gas cap becuase the gas tank is not venting. I remove the gas gap and used another key to start the bike and the bike started. I hopped on it and rode back home with the gas cap off. Only did 50-55 mph on the highway for a short while just wanted to get to the nearest exit just in case it died on me.

I will be checking the vent tube, petcock, auto valve and making sure there is no kinks in any of the lines.
I suspect it might be the auto valve that is not working.

An suggestions and what else to check will be appreciated.
Thanks everyone for your input it is really appreciated.

Al

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't think there is a vent tube on the VLX (at least there isn't one on my wife's 07). The tank vents through the cap. I suppose it's possible that the cap is not venting properly though. I didn't think mine was because when you disconnect the fuel line, open the petcock and dump the fuel out, it doesn't flow continuously without gurgling but that's only because I was expecting more flow than the system can deliver (or that's required to run the bike).

It's a good idea to replace the vacuum petcock innards while you're in there. It's only on the order of $35 for the rebuild kit (called a "cover set" in the parts fiche). Also check the fuel screen at the carb, if that gets clogged up you could run into problems not similar to the ones you've reported. Again, a replacement screen in only a few dollars so if you're going to pull things apart, it's something worth replacing.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Update:
So I decided to put in the original OEM Air Filter (brand new) dont want to do any changes while I am troubleshooting the issue.
I went for a ride this afternoon/evening went 55mph for 10 minutes then increased to 65-70 mph. The engine cut out I rolled out of the throttle (no stumble)and regained power and keep on cruising at 55mph.
I pulled over to check and adjust idle (increase a little) just in case.
I started up again and went about 55mph then increased to about 70mph this time the engine cut in and out (stumbling) I could not regain power as I was rolling in and out of the trottle. As a increased throttle the bike stumbled more until the engine shutdown (headlights, brake lights and turn signal stayed on).
Try to restart while clutched in and moving and the engine would not start. Stopped completly tried to start it and no joy. Tried to start with the choke out same result.
Tried to give it full throttle while I hit start switch with same result.
I waited about 2 minutes trying to figure out what to do next.
I remember someone mentioning in another thread about removing the gas cap becuase the gas tank is not venting. I remove the gas gap and used another key to start the bike and the bike started. I hopped on it and rode back home with the gas cap off. Only did 50-55 mph on the highway for a short while just wanted to get to the nearest exit just in case it died on me.

I will be checking the vent tube, petcock, auto valve and making sure there is no kinks in any of the lines.
I suspect it might be the auto valve that is not working.

An suggestions and what else to check will be appreciated.
Thanks everyone for your input it is really appreciated.

Al
Good Job narrowing this down.

LIMagna - great advise

1 - 20 of 27 Posts