Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out my air filter yesturday for the 12,000 mile maintenance and there was oil in the air breather casing. Enough that about a tablespoon or so ran out of it. I left what oil there was in the casing.

Is this normal or should I take further action?

Bruce

·
Registered
628 Posts
Having a little oil in the airbox is not that unusual. It can usually be controlled by not overfilling your bike with oil, and periodically cleaning the crankcase breather, or "little black box" located on top of the front cylinder. (at least that's where it is on my 01 ACE).

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
Dr Bob's Patient said:
I changed out my air filter yesturday for the 12,000 mile maintenance and there was oil in the air breather casing. Enough that about a tablespoon or so ran out of it. I left what oil there was in the casing.

Is this normal or should I take further action?

Bruce
Bruce,
My owners manual (VT-750ACE) says this about the breather : "Service more frequently when riding in rain or full throttle"

I'd say it's normal......
Phil

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'll go check the oil and I might consider not riding in the rain at full thorttle! :?
:wink:
Bruce

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Ride in the rain and at full throttle all you like! Having a little oil in the airbox is not unusual. The bike is deigned to do it. It's just that when riding at full throttle or in the rain, more oil will accumulate there. It's not bad for it at all, so don't change your riding style because of it!

--Justin

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked it while the engine was hot and found, like I previously mentioned, about a tablespoon.

Checked with the engine cold and it had all drained back through the crankcase breather. It has always been good clean oil.

Thanks for the responses.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
There is a little tube plugging the air box drain and is located below the air cleaner. You can remove this plug and drain out any excess oil/water that may collect in the air box. That's what it there for. This is normal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I took the air cleaner off of my 2006 Aero last night and I too was surprised to see a puddle of oil like you described. I got the bike with 600 miles on it after it was wrecked by the previous owner after 4? months (build date Feb. 2006) and found a puddle of oil in the air cleaner when I checked the bike over. I at first chalked it up to the bike having gone down and sitting on it's side but now with only 4500 miles and another puddle of oil I think it might be a characteristic of the bike. I ride wide open throttle freeway and stop light drag strip with it at every light. I'll have to see how it fares with a K & N cone filter mounted directly to the carb with a K & N breather on the breather line next season.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Riding in the rain isn't about oil in the breather box, its about water or moisture collecting in the breather system and needing to be drained by un-capping the breather box drain hose, at the bottom side of the motorcycle.
Now, riding for extended periods of time at higher RPM's CAN?? cause the engine to vent enough oil for some to collect in the breather box. When ever you change the air filter its always good to clean the inside of the breather box out of "Anything" that's in it.
MarkC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts