Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't tell what is causing the bike to run on one cylinder, spark plugs are brand new. Could it be a carburation problem, weak coil, or something electrical? I just cleaned out my jets and everything because of a gas leak problem I had but that was from (what im guessing) was a vacuum line hose that the clamp broke off from. replaced that and no leaking but now the problem of the cylinder.

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
First thing to do is check to see if you are getting spark on the bad cylinder. If not, then check coils and sparkplug wires.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
First thing to do is check to see if you are getting spark on the bad cylinder. If not, then check coils and sparkplug wires.
^^^That. The first thing you need to do is figure out why the one cylinder is not firing. Is it spark or fuel? Did this start after you changed the plugs or after you cleaned the jets, or did you do both at the same time.

First check to see if you have spark to that cylinder. If not. Proceed to electrical troubleshooting. If there is spark, check to see if the plugs are wet in the bad cylinder. Then check the air intake to see f you have a leak or something not connected

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
plugs were changed not to long ago and are getting spark and aren't wet. I just cleaned the jets (yesterday) but I dont know what it could be. judging from the heat from the tailpipe, the rear cylinder is firing and doing fine the front is heating up but not nearly as fast as high of a heat. I have a feeling it may be a fuel problem but I'm not entirely sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for when it started, I have no clue. My buddy is the one looking at the bike and he noticed as soon as I pulled into the driveway of his shop. I thought something was iffy but another friend of mine, who owns a shop and I took it to for a tune up recently, said that the bike was fine. I guess I learned my lesson on that one.

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
I would check the float valve for the cylinder that not's firing. It sounds like it's stuck closed or the floatis way out of adjustment.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Check your primary coil wire blade connections. Unless they're fully seated they will make intermittent contact or none at all if the blade connection of the coil is jammed between the boot and female connector. That connection should be rock solid without any flex at the coil connection. I had the same problem with my Shadow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts