Honda Shadow Forums banner

#1 cyl runs too rich and bike "stumbles"

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Gumpy 
#1 ·
Bought an '87 VT700 late last summer. It had this problem then, and still does... it "stumbles" when i am steady at about anything under 4000rpm. Seems worse between 2000-3000rpm. I've taken it in to the shop twice, they haven't fixed it (for lack of trying, i suppose). I noticed then last summer, and still notice, that the #1 cyl plugs are quite "sooty". The #2 cyl seems fine. I get about 45MPG, and I think these bikes normally get 55MPG. Any thoughts on what i could do to make the bike run without cutting out, or stumbling? The bike is back in the shop now, I've asked that they synch the carbs. It would seem these 2 problems are related, right?

#2 ·
I would check the resistance on the primary/secondary side of the main ignition coils and compare the results with the coil for the fron cylinder. Also do a resistance check between the blue/blue white and yellow/yellow white wires coming from the pulse coils inside the right hand engine cover. One of these coils failed on my 86 shadow and caused ignition failure and front cylinder cutting out. It could also be a incorrect float level setting in your carb, thats a bit more complicated however. I'd troubleshoot the ignition system and wires first.

#4 ·
Yes, 450-550 ohms. Don't sweat it if they're a little outside that range though.

Gumpy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.