Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Aero 750 for a few months. I bought it as it was a good deal and affordable plus in great condition, but am finding the power pretty disappointing. Have made a few mods mentioned in another thread and am finding myself wondering if I just need to save up and upgrade to one of the bigger models like the 1100 or the VTX 1300. But when I look at the specs of these bikes, weight and the not so impressive increase in horsepower for the bigger bikes, find myself wondering if I'm not better off staying with the 750 and getting the best out of it that I can. Any thoughts folks?

· Registered
1,329 Posts
nearly no power adders out there for the 750, next to a jet kit or tuner, exhaust, and a more open intake. And those net almost nothing HP/TQ wise.

There may not be a ton of power adders out there for the 1100 and 1300's either but they come with a lot more power, and grunt to keep you moving. I was on a 750 for almost 3 years before I felt the need to go bigger, I knew I would and planned to go bigger. So I stuck pretty low budget and did no modifications other than a jet kit and air filter upgrade from when I punched the baffles. Saved my pennies for the new scooter. I can say the interstate stretch going to work is much more enjoyable now having a little more giddy up, and my joy rides more fun from the acceleration through and out of the corners, So now i'm actually doing some mods for comfort and my wants.

I say in the long run you will be happier on the bigger bike. but some are fine just on the 750's all depends on your intent and expectations of the bike.

· Registered
228 Posts
I had the same issue's after 2 years with my Shadow Spirit 750. You can see by my pic what my decision was. Just what I needed and the lines were similar to the Spirit, which is my preference. Enjoy your new ride. :D

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your thoughts folks. I've owned all sorts of bikes in the past and ride mainly on the highway so I like to have comfortable power to overtake bloody caravans, hat wearing punters and trucks! I reckon I'll just save up for the bigger bore bike.

· Registered
36 Posts
I would love a bigger bike but. I am retired and only use our 750 for cruising country roads. I try to stay off the freeways not because of lack of power. We ride two up everywhere and we can keep up with the speed limits. But the fun in biking for us is not the rat race, its the cruising country roads and enjoying the smells and sights. Gas mileage means we can go farther. We have cobra pipes, dyno jet kit, mustang saddle, fats windshield. So we are loud and proud of our 750. Everyone we ride with loves the sound of our bike. But we only ride with smaller cruisers, small two lane twisty mountain roads, and I really mean twisty really twisty. Mountain tops, Redwood forests, lost coast highway. Enjoy your 750 before you throw it to the curb. Its a great bike.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Monday, I do enjoy riding it but having been a sports bike owner in the past, I do rather like horsepower and feel the need for a bit more on my daily commute on a major Highway. Changed to a cruiser due to knee issues that made riding sports bikes painful. Guess I need to slow down and smell the roses. :)

· Registered
3,130 Posts
I went from a 750 Aero to an earlier 93 VT1100C ... at first I think it was pretty even powered so going up doesn't allways work out like you think it will

Now the Aero would not come close to the 1100 but the aero is still pretty much std (well its going nowhere ATM as it being worked on)

I haven't done that much to the 1100 and it wasn't running that flash when I got it.. But after getting it going better I started to open things up a bit and it has blown me away how different it can be

I know some say jetting doesn't change things much.... But if I change things back to recommended settings it drops the speeds I get out of each gear quite a lot.. IE 3rd gear will get 105mph at its best (speedo not actual gps speed) but if I set it at the advised setting it stops gaining speed quickly at 75 and runs out at 85-90mph... uses more fuel of coarse but its fun :p

but I have done a lot of plating around, Accell coils, bigger leads, big jets, opened up the intake, opened up the exhaust... etc but I like working on bike, and the older 1100's are quite a lot lighter than the VTX's

I much prefer the 1100 for cornering too

But I do like riding a mates VTX1800 too but its not as agile :p

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok cool thx Leathal, I was wondering how the VTX 1300 and the VT 1100 compared. For now I'll keep the 750 until I'm cashed up enough to consider going bigger. As my bike is on 60,000 km I won't keep it too long anyway as I ride a lot and quickly rack up the mileage.

· Registered
57 Posts
I bought a 750 Ace a few weeks ago because someone here at work sold it to me cheap. It is great to be back on two wheels but the lack of power this thing generates is absolutely staggering.

I'm really happy with just about every other aspect of the bike but I don't see myself keeping the bike long term because of this issue. These 750s cannot get out of their own way.

I wouldn't go putting mods on it... it's still just a Shadow 750. I would say ride it until you are really bored or until a great deal finds it's way to you. Until then just focus on all the good aspects (and there are tons).

· Registered
10,265 Posts
I upgraded from an aero 750- vtx 1300 and am happy I did. It have PLENTY of power, it will haul me and my luggage anywhere I need or want to go!
I have ridden an Aero 1100, not impressed with the power really, but over the 750 it was a noticeable difference.
For the little amount you can spend to upgrade to a 1300, I say sell the 750 and go for it! I was unhappy with the comfort AND power of my 750, it was going to cost a lot to cure those and I still wasnt getting much power gain. I sold and added $500 and got my current bike. It was well equipped, no fairing, but upgrades galour!
Coop

· Registered
1,696 Posts
I like the 1100 because it is a bit leaner and easier to toss around than the VTX. I think the 1100 is a bit faster in the end, with the bikes having similar HP (mid to high 50s?), but the VTX more torque. I think the 1100 is a lower maintenance bike. Does the VTX need valve adjustments? here is more discussion:

VTX vs 1100 Sabre

· Registered
3,130 Posts
I like the 1100 because it is a bit leaner and easier to toss around than the VTX. I think the 1100 is a bit faster in the end, with the bikes having similar HP (mid to high 50s?), but the VTX more torque. I think the 1100 is a lower maintenance bike. Does the VTX need valve adjustments? here is more discussion:

VTX vs 1100 Sabre
depends on the bike... some of the 1100's are pretty tame too

is the VTX1300 single carb or injected? I know the 1800 is injected and while a nice bike to ride they are big.... although you sit lower than my 1100.

· Registered
10,265 Posts
Single carb on 1300r model.
All 1100s definitely are not created equal. Some are top heavy, some are not. I wont name them, don't want a start a debate, the 1300 had a low center of gravity and is pretty nimble. The 1800s are wicked fast and fun, but not quite as nimble.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
2017 Indian Roadmaster
983 Posts
I have had my Aero since 2010, and put about 10,000 miles on it. The farthest that I have gone was from Ft. Rucker, AL, to PCB, FL, which was about a two hour ride.

At 5'7", 198lbs, with forward controls, scootworks riser extensions, and modded seat, the bike does not feel small to me. I can hit 60mph pretty quick, and I was cruising at 80mph today for about 11 miles on the highway.

Around town, it is thoroughly enjoyable. On the highway...not so much. Too much vibration coming from everywhere, although the bike did feel like it could go on all day.

Do I need a bigger bike? Not really. Do I want a bigger bike? Eventually...but this time, I am going to get the bike that I want instead of what is available and in my price range, so I am saving towards a new bike. Eventually, I will get something set up for touring, rather than having to add sissy bars and saddlebags from the aftermarket...

...And a fairing with stereo.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lots of food for thought, I feel like New England's comments echo my own feelings about the 750. It's probably great around town but feels under powered for the amount of highway travel I do. My commute is 50km on the highway. It will cruise at the legal speed ok but feels challenged when overtaking slower vehicles. I'm told there's nothing more I can do by way of mods than what I've already done. The question is not will I go bigger but which way to go....
I appreciate all the comments and people taking the time to share their knowledge and experience. What a great resource this site is!

· Registered
47 Posts
My shadow spirit 750 is more than enough for city and back country roads. The 10% I'm on the highway, cruising at 70-75 is easy all day and jumping up to 80-85 is good enough.
I'm also 5'7" at 200 lbs.
So, about 10% I wish I had more oomph, but 90% I'm as happy as a pig in a poke.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
I've had my 750 Spirit for ~3 years now, 2 full riding seasons. I would agree with the highway comfort, but not necessarily on power being the issue. For me, it was the physical size of the bike.

I went to a Valkyrie. It solved all of my problems and added a ton of power & storage in one fell-swoop.

I'm not suggesting the Valk is *your* bike, but rather try everything you consider before relying on others' input. For me, the 1100 and the VTX1300 didn't solve the problems I had with my 750 - both still felt too small. The Valk, Indian Chieftain & HD Road King were my top choices, the Valkyrie won by price only.

The best advice I can offer: Define your budget. Ride everything you can within that budget. Make up your mind based on your experience.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.