Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 1996 Shadow 1100 ACE with 18,000 miles.

Well I went out this morning to go to work and the bike wouldn't start. Just turns over, nothing else. So I checked for spark, it had a spark so I started thinking fuel.

You know how if you run it out of gas you have to prime the pump, and you have to flip the switch a bunch of times and then it will fire right up? Thats how I have to get it started now. Even when I only cut it off long enough to fill up the gas tank, go to start her back up and same thing. I dont get it, its like soon as I cut it off the carbs drain back down.

ALSO I have been having a miss at highway speeds, somewhere between 70-85mph (it varies) It acts like im running out of gas.

So what could it be guys? The bike is my daily and car is in pieces so I have to get it fixed asap.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I ran out of gas once (when I first got the bike) and didn't need to prime the pump to start it. Just turned over four-five times and it started right up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
sounds like a bad cut-off valve

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds like a bad cut-off valve
How do I test this? It works when switching to reserve when I'm almost out of gas. I have tried to crank it in reserve also and same thing.

I ran out of gas once (when I first got the bike) and didn't need to prime the pump to start it. Just turned over four-five times and it started right up.
Well mine took awhile to get started, and when I'm riding and run out and have to switch to reserve it takes about 8-10 seconds for it to get gas back to the carbs.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
How old is the fuel filter?
Any time you have a fuel problem, change the fuel filter. Don’t cheap out, get a good filter.
Sometimes fuel station operators don’t change their fuel filters as often as they should and you end up with crud in your tank.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How old is the fuel filter?
Any time you have a fuel problem, change the fuel filter. Don’t cheap out, get a good filter.
Sometimes fuel station operators don’t change their fuel filters as often as they should and you end up with crud in your tank.
Not sure but its worth a try, bike had 10k on it when I got it, so fuel filter has atleasnt 8k miles on it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im thinking its the fuel pump relay now. Jump the wires over and I have battery voltage at connector going to fuel pump. With the relay plugged in when I turn the key on I get nothing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i got out today and the bike started right up, even with the relay unplugged it stayed running for 15 min. Also I have never heard the fuel pump running. Is it possible the bike is running without the fuel pump pumping? In the 8k miles I have put on this bike I have never once heard the pump.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
What is battery and charging voltage???? Change or clean filters, don't bother checking it, Tank and Inline. Test pump, as per manual.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Fuel pumps are silent. Pull the gas line going to the carbs, put it in a portable can and turn the key on to see if it pumps. With those miles, I am betting dead pump. "Why?" you ask. 1100s are known for short lived pumps. My best riding buddy had his go out at,,,,hmmmm,,,,,16,000! Small world. He spent a bundle to get his carbs done first, you are ahead of the game.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Fuel pumps are silent. Pull the gas line going to the carbs, put it in a portable can and turn the key on to see if it pumps. With those miles, I am betting dead pump. "Why?" you ask. 1100s are known for short lived pumps. My best riding buddy had his go out at,,,,hmmmm,,,,,16,000! Small world. He spent a bundle to get his carbs done first, you are ahead of the game.
The Shadow's fuel pump is not silent. The reason you never hear it is because it only runs when the engine is running. Thats what the relay is for, it only sends power to the pump when the engine is turning over. If you jumper the relay and turn the key on, the pump will get power. You will hear it clicking. As it builds pressure the clicks will slow and stop once it pressurizes. If you jumpered the relay and don't hear any noise from the pump, there's a good chance it's not functioning properly.

If you watch this vid, you can hear the pump running prior to him starting the bike at about 1:25 into the vid.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,252 Posts
So what could it be guys?
It's not nearly as much fun as running jumpers and swapping out parts but give this a try: Before you start the bike, take the fuel cap off then put it back on -- just a quick 2-second step. Post whether it makes any difference.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got out today and went over everything. Pulled fuel line and fuel pump is pumping. So I pull plugs I have no spark, I could have swore I checked that last week but apparently I was wrong. Has no spark on either cylinder, I dont even know where to start with this thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts