Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Spirit 1100 and the rear brake is sticky. I press down on the rear brake pedal and the arm on the brake hub does not return to the unapplied position unless I release the pedal quickly. Does the cam inside need grease lubricant or do I need to get new shoes? Bike has 35k on the clock but I've looked at the shoes and they seem to have plenty of lining left.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Make sure the return spring isn't broken and like you mentioned lube all the pivot points.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Rear brake....

Didn't know if appying a little grease on the cam would cause any problem getting on the contact area of the shoes. That would not be a good thing. Both springs are ok.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey Jon,

I would check the lever arm at the wheel by disconnecting the brake pedal from the rear wheel arm. Try to actuate the brake and see if it returns. If it doesn't, then you know you have a problem in the brake housing. Otherwise...it is a problem with the brake pedal hardware.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Brake lever....

I know it's in the hub. The rest of the linkage works fine. Can't do anything about it for the next week or so. I'll take it apart next weekend to investigate further. I may just go ahead and get new shoes while I have it apart.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Jon,

I noticed from your picture...that you have also changed out the rear wheel to a spoked wheel. When wheel did you use there? An ACE 1100 wheel?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Rear wheel

The rear wheel is from a 750 Aero. It's a drop in fit for the 1100 Spirit. The new 750 Spirit is also a drop in fit I would assume also because it is essentially an Aero frame and running gear.

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
Re: Rear wheel

Jon Krol said:
The rear wheel is from a 750 Aero. It's a drop in fit for the 1100 Spirit. The new 750 Spirit is also a drop in fit I would assume also because it is essentially an Aero frame and running gear.
Jon,

Did you drop in the wheel, and the entire brake panel, or are you using the 1100 brake panel with the Aero hub? If the inside specs don't match across the models, you may be pushing the brake pedal all the way until the cam is "high-centered" on the pivot.

I had a similar problem on one of our bikes, and it turned out the mounting holes on the (Cobra) brake stay were oversized and ovaled out. A lot of the brake pedal action was going to turning the brake panel instead of applying the brakes. I had some bushings made and it solved the problem.

CB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts