Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the battery a few days ago. Haven't started it in a few days so I jumped on it hit the start button and nothing. Lights come on bright, horn works but there is no sound at all from the starter. Lights dim when the starter button is pushed but not so much as a click on the starter. Any suggestions? 2000 Spirit with 40k miles on it. Thanks for any help, hate to have to take it to Honda, they'll clean out my wallet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
wont start

Does the horn honk? If lights are dim, that is a sure sign battery is down. No horn=no battery also. Put a charger on it and see if it starts. Read the voltage across the polls on the battery, should be 12.6 - 12.8 volts if fully charged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,689 Posts
The lights normally go out when the starter button is pushed - to allow full power to the starter.

I would make sure the battery is fully charged, and if so, then remove the starter switch assemble and clean up the contacts....common problem with all Shadow models for many years.....do a search and you can see how often it happens.

Also make sure the ground lug is clean (under the seat) and the battery terminals are clean (remove and use some abrasive paper to clean up both side of the bat. terminals)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spirit

It's a new battery and the connectors are clean, very clean. I'll try trickle charging the battery. It's been cold here so I haven't had an opportunity to ride and charge it up. Yes, the horn works and the lights are bright when I turn on the key.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Hey Jon,

When you hit the starter button, does the headlight shut off? If it does not...then your starter switch is the problem. If it does, then you need to check a couple of other things. The first is the clutch switch. Second is the kickstand switch. Make sure that they are working properly. To do this, remove the connectors, place a meter across the leads, and operate the switch with your meter on continuity check. I believe the clutch switch will have continuity when the clutch is out...and the kickstand switch when the kickstand is up. But the main thing is that the states change. You need to also check the kill switch to make sure that it isn't in the stop position. You may want to take the switch housing apart and check continuity of the switch. Continuity will be made when the switch is in the run position. While you have the switch housing open, check the starter button contacts. Continuity will be made when the button is pressed on the IG2(black/white wire) and ST(yellow/red wire) contacts, and when the button is released, continuity will be on the HL(black/red wire) and HL1(blue/white wire) contacts.

Hope this information helps.

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spirit

Thanks for the help guys. I think the battery lost its charge and needs to be put on a trickle charger. Anyone know where I can pick one up cheap? How about Harbor Freight? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Re: Spirit

Jon Krol said:
Thanks for the help guys. I think the battery lost its charge and needs to be put on a trickle charger. Anyone know where I can pick one up cheap? How about Harbor Freight? Thanks
Walmart has them. But...unless you left the key on for a while, I wouldn't think it was the battery...unless the battery has a bad cell.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got her runnin!

.....but I hate to admit how. Purely for the edification of others that may in the future experience a similar problem and in the " HOW long have you been riding?" dept.. I didn't notice through all this that my neutral light wasn't on. I had left it in gear. Popped it in neutral and she started right up. DUHHHHH, I feel like Homer Simpson. Thanks for all the suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
LOL,
I did the same thing. I had owned the bike about a week and went to start and nothing. I was thinking the worst, then finally noticed something didn't look right on the dash. :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,689 Posts
Re: Got her runnin!

Jon Krol said:
.....but I hate to admit how. Purely for the edification of others that may in the future experience a similar problem and in the " HOW long have you been riding?" dept.. I didn't notice through all this that my neutral light wasn't on. I had left it in gear. Popped it in neutral and she started right up. DUHHHHH, I feel like Homer Simpson. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ha, at least you weren't out somewhere and called for a tow.....it could have been worse.....and a lot more embarrassing. :wink:

I always feel like an ass when I mention those easy/stupid DUH things to check first, so I sometimes don't........FINC and try again is really a good thing to remember - before jumping into the less likely realm of possibilities. Actually if MC manufacturers would put an idiot light on that would notify you that you are being intentionally locked out of start mode that wouldn't be a bad thing.......

Glad you got her going.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Re: Got her runnin!

cbjr0256 said:
Ha, at least you weren't out somewhere and called for a tow.....it could have been worse.....and a lot more embarrassing. :wink:
No...the most embarrassing thing is to run out of gas...tow it to the dealer to fix it...and they turn the reserve on and start it right up!!! :lol: :shock: :twisted:

Jon...

Glad you got it working.

Now...go riding!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,761 Posts
Re: Got her runnin!

cbjr0256 said:
I always feel like an ass when I mention those easy/stupid DUH things to check first
But when you don't mention those first, how many times is it
that simple stuff that is actually the problem?

Remember, in trouble-shooting, always do the easiest stuff first.
KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.

cbjr0256 said:
Actually if MC manufacturers would put an idiot light on that would notify you that you are being intentionally locked out of start mode that wouldn't be a bad thing.......
That would actually be not so terribly difficult.
A dual color LED in the neutral indicator would be easy to do this with...
In neutral, it's green, as normal. In gear, have it glow red.
Good idea... Wonder why they don't do this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm happy just to get it started and I'd love to ride today but it has started to rain. I had a feeling it was something stupid, there are just so many things it can be and everything was fine when I last rode. Usually you get some kind of heads up that something may be heading south so I was guessing it was operator malfunction. So it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
mark v said:
All brand new batteries need to be charged or topped off. I havent bought 1 yet that hasnt needed a charge.
I agree Mark. When I have had to buy batteries, I always throw them on my charger for a while. I don't have a trickle charger, so I leave me regular charger on 2 amps and only let it go for a couple of hours. No problems yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,689 Posts
Re: Got her runnin!

litnin said:
But when you don't mention those first, how many times is it
that simple stuff that is actually the problem?
Surprisingly often....don't know how many times actually because not everybody is big enough to come back and say guess what the problem acutally was........

litnin said:
Remember, in trouble-shooting, always do the easiest stuff first.
KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.
Especially with these bikes....it's usually the quick, cheap, easiest stuff that shuts them down first.

cbjr0256 said:
Actually if MC manufacturers would put an idiot light on that would notify you that you are being intentionally locked out of start mode that wouldn't be a bad thing

litnin said:
That would actually be not so terribly difficult.
A dual color LED in the neutral indicator would be easy to do this with...
In neutral, it's green, as normal. In gear, have it glow red.
Good idea... Wonder why they don't do this?
Saves a few bucks -- I doubt that Honda has ever answered or read as many problem reports as we get on this forum and have never even given it a thought as a potential 'enhancement'

However, an underhanded dealer would love for a bike to come in that wouldn't start because of the owner's inability (or brain fart) to figure out which interlock is keeping it from turning over.

Sell a New Battery - -
Clean and lube the starter - - NOT
Clean the spark plugs - - NOT
New starter switch.........ad infinitum

You name it the sky is the limit for an underhanded dealer to steal from an unsuspecting customer in this scenario.

I would love to have a job to test dealers on things like this, what a blast that would be........ :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well this one certainly lost a bit of charge since I installed it because of turning the bike on and trying to start it but now it's working fine. I let it run for a while and rode around the block a few times to get the charge back up. Starts right up now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Re: Got her runnin!

Jon Krol said:
.....but I hate to admit how. Purely for the edification of others that may in the future experience a similar problem and in the " HOW long have you been riding?" dept.. I didn't notice through all this that my neutral light wasn't on. I had left it in gear. Popped it in neutral and she started right up. DUHHHHH, I feel like Homer Simpson. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Ya beat me to it! I was reading your post and thinking "I wonder if it's in gear." Nothing to be ashamed of, the only reason I thought of it is because I've done it myself a few times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,761 Posts
Re: Got her runnin!

cbjr0256 said:
However, an underhanded dealer would love for a bike to come in that wouldn't start because of the owner's inability (or brain fart) to figure out which interlock is keeping it from turning over.

Sell a New Battery - -
Clean and lube the starter - - NOT
Clean the spark plugs - - NOT
New starter switch.........ad infinitum

You name it the sky is the limit for an underhanded dealer to steal from an unsuspecting customer in this scenario.
Years ago when my dad was with Honda, he caught a dealer doing stuff like this to a customer.
At that time (early 70's) Honda only had 2 cars, the N600 and the Civic.
The dealers didn't order cars... Honda would just send the dealers
X number of cars each delivery of various colors that Honda determined
were more popular for that market.
He caught a dealer charging customers for warranty work and also turning the warranty work in for reimbursement.
After confronting them with it, they denied that they did anything of sorts.
He had proof from customer bills and warranty claims.
A little work on his part and the next delivery the dealer got
was for 35 lime green Civics... and under contract, the dealer had to pay for them.
Needless to say, that dealer straightend up REAL quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
Re: Got her runnin!

BAAA HA HA HA!

That was awesome!

litnin said:
A little work on his part and the next delivery the dealer got
was for 35 lime green Civics... and under contract, the dealer had to pay for them.
Needless to say, that dealer straightend up REAL quick.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top