Honda Shadow Forums banner

How many miles do you drive before you switch to reserve gas?

• Total voters
101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Back in April I ran out of gas while riding on a day when the temp was about 30F. I was on reserve and didn't realize it until I was out of gas. I had 177 miles on that tank, luckily I was only 10 miles from home and a friend was more than happy to bring me a gallon of gas.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
02 spirit. I go between 125-130 then switch to reserve I weigh in about 157 lbs. I ride mostly surface streets and I like to hotrod some. Once I got 151 before reserve but conditions had to have been perfect for that.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I can go a little over 100 miles at highway speeds before needing reserve. I get at most 25-30 from reserve. Not really much of difference in town driving either. I am about 150lbs. Last trip i took I had an additional 30lbs of gear with me and it didn't change enough to notice. My 95 really does stay consistent even if im banging on her.

·
Registered
676 Posts
  1. How many miles do you go before you must switch to reserve?
    [*]How many miles do you go while on reserve?
    [*]What year is your Honda 1100 bike?
    [*]How much do you weigh?
If I get enough answers I will plot the data and post it here. Obviously I am interested in the 1100 single or dual pin engine only. Non-1100 responses might be of interest to somebody else not me. Thanks so much for participating.
Most of the time mine has been 108 miles when I switch to reserve.
I usually go no more than 20 miles on reserve.
2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100
I weigh about 202 lbs.
Most of my driving is traffic or 70 mph.
I bought used so I think I have cobra slash cut pipes. Jets? Roughly I average 36 mpg but I have got up to 42 mpg driving freeway.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Range varies greatly with conditions but for most of my riding I hit reserve right around 155 miles and ride 8 to 20 more miles after I do. Mine is a 1999 VT1100C2 (ACE) with completely stock carb and exhaust, K&N air filter and Mobil Delvac or Rotella T in the crankcase. (I'm going to T6 next week.) I've got a windscreen, punched fuel tank and Metzeler ME880s that I run on the high range of the PSI recommendation. I weigh about 200 lbs, more or less. (It was less, now a tiny bit more but I am determined to make it less again.)

FWIW, I know that the windscreen reduces MPG and range, the ME880s increase both and the punched fuel tank increases range. The K&N increases riding by freeing up money to spend on fuel.

Been riding for well over half a century and never heard the term 'punched gas tank'. What does it mean?

·
Registered
231 Posts
So does anyone know what 'punching a gas tank' means?

On mine I punched a hole in each side of the filler neck. This allows me to fill the tank full to the brim. With the tank this full one would want put some miles on it before parking or as the fuel expands it could overflow.

1996 Honda Shadow Ace 1100

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, as my 1985 Shadow 1100 has no ability to "switch" to it's reserve (Large tank flows to smaller tank then to fuel pump) I usually will fill up after 120 miles. I've pushed it to 140 but chickened out and filled up. I weigh 220. I believe the specs are not correct for the size of the tanks - Honda says I have a 4 gallon tank (plus .8 gallon reserve) but the most gas I have ever put in was 3.8 gallons and I knew I was on fumes. It's my only peeve in what is otherwise the best bike I've ever ridden. I'll just count my blessings and fill up before I ever run out!

101 - 112 of 112 Posts
About this Discussion
111 Replies
60 Participants
Eraserhead
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing