Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm packed or 90% packed, bike is serviced, routes are in the GPS. Tomorrow I'm heading north and a little west and hope to make it to Iowa City IA for a 450 mile day. The only big issue is that mother....nature has decided to crank up the heat here to a forecasted 110 degree heat index! I should see some relief about 250 miles north where the temps may drop into the low ninties...take what you can get. I'm leaving as early as I can manage to avoid as much of the heat as possible.

Then Tuesday they are forecasting 40% possibility of severe storms in the Iowa City Area. Iowa City is near the nothern extremity of the forecasted area so my plans are to hit the road early and try to make it to Minnesota as early as possible unless the storms are already going on when I wake up. In that case, it's wait and see. Once is MN, I'll hopefully be clear of severe storms....hope!

I'll post pictures as I get a chance. I'll probably not post too much on the first day as there won't be a lot to see. Mostly ugly slab.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Have fun, ride safe! Take lots of pics!

·
Registered
673 Posts
The wife and I will be riding Yellowstone on Tuesday.

Have a safe trip and enjoy every minute!

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,090 Posts
I'm just north of Iowa City in Cedar Rapids. (Ok, so technically right next to Cedar Rapids. lol) It is extremely humid and is supposed to be tomorrow as well.

The chance of rain has been pushed back every day where originally the chance was for Friday, then Saturday, etc. So there's a chance you will get lucky and get in and out without seeing the rain at all. It tried to rain today, but just managed a few sprinkles.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Have fun! I meant to go to Yellowstone this year. I may still be able to, just need to convince my friends to go too.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Going to Yellowstone next week with the family, so no bike. Enjoy your trip. Hope the rain stays away from you. Have a beer (or other drink) at the Old Faithful Inn. They have a nice balcony that looks out on the geyser. It takes a while, so you might have to have a couple.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I made it to Iowa City, well actually Coralville. 455 miles according to the GPS. Can't say it was a nice ride as the heat index was anywere between 105 and 115 for most of the trip. My wife told me the HI for home was 119! I think that is a record. I knew it was goig to be hot so I went North first then cut across IL to get away from the temps as fast as I could. It's supposed to be 86 for a high hear tomorrow.

Feel really beat up tonight Didn't take any pics to speak of and the only really picturesque thing I saw was a ton of those big wind generators near Peoria IL but I was on the slab with no where to stop and get a pic.

Trip was otherwise uneventful just long and hot mostly. Tomorrow is a shorter day and if it's cooler I'll try and get some pics.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,090 Posts
I don't know what the weather report is for overnight, but the storms came in early. Was woken up at around 5am to the sound of the tornado sirens going off. But yeah, it's still hot and humid, so there might still be some more activity tonight.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Longest Ride Yet...

Yikes!! Moderators, please fix this for me ;) This was supposed to be a new thread, somehow I oopsed and did a reply versus a new ;) Sigh... Thanks ;)

Last week of July, I'll be heading to the west side... taking 2 over to Mt. Vernon then up to Bellingham, spend a night or two there, then down to Seattle to hang with my oldest son, then back home via I-90. Google Maps says it's at least a 6 hour ride each way, and I know from living over there that B'ham to Seattle will be an easy 3. Hoping to get some good pics of the mountains as I head west, as I'll be leaving about 2pm, after work... might catch some good sunset pics. Haven't built the "iron butt" yet, but I've been working toward it... if this trip doesn't kill me, it'll definitely make me stronger ;) I've made a few 250-350 mile round trip rides this summer, but took my time and wasn't pushing it... this one I'll have to be pushing it. My longest "get there" ride in my life, done "back in the day," was only a 5 hour long trek, two-up on a CB400. This adventure, I'm very excited about, as I see it as the potential precursor to many long and scenic rides... but I want to hedge my bets to do it right, so am asking y'all for hints and tips :)

Spokane, WA to Spokane, WA - Google Maps

Any "best practices" from y'all would be appreciated, since there's parts of the route that will probably be over 100 degrees... advice is always welcome :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well since my post on Monday, I noticed I didn't mention that the heat index for the entire ride was over 110 degrees which probably explains why I woke up Tuesday mornng nauseated and with my head spinning despite drinking gallons of water and sport drinks.

Hopped on the bike at 6AM and made it up to Minneapolis 356 miles by 1:30 to my frinds house on lake Minnetonka. Continued to feel nauseated and light headed. If I closed my eyes I'd start to fall over. The diagnosis by the doc via phone is a reacurrance of a swollen inner ear that I had sufered one before. Normally the treatment would be oral steriods but I have a bad reaction to the oral and need shots. So the logestics of getting that done out of state is vitrually nil.

Then to cap things off I got a call from my wife this morning after her eye appointment and it seems she has a detached retna and is scheduled for surgery Friday. You can see here this is going can't you?

So after that call, I bagged it and turned around and some 1300 miles later I'm back in Iowa City. 1300 total trip; a little over 400 for today. I have around 460 to do tomorrow and I'll be back exactly where I was Monday morning.

Not a total loss though. Today was one of the nicest rides I have had weather wise. Temp this morning was 62 and even by noon around Farabault the temp was still 68. Blue skies all the way. I do have a few pics which I'll post when I get home and can resize them and get them on my server.

Really disapointed but SH and family comes first and thanks for all the help and advice...I will put it to use, just not this week.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, back home after a 456 mile ride for a total of 1636 miles or just shy of 40% of what I had planned. Not a bad ride today. Temp was 60 degrees leaving Iowa City and I didn't take off my seond layer until lunch near Danville, IL. But as soon as I turned South it started warming up quickly and finally ended up being close to 90 here at home. Don't have many pics but I'll get them online a bit later.

It was probably a good idea I called the trip. When I got off the bike at home I took about 5 steps and nearly fell on my face. The nausea is better probably because I'm getting used to the feeling, either that or it was the heat but I can barely hear a thing out of my left ear and if feels full, not infected kind just full. Will track down the doc tomorrow.

Again thanks to everyone who sent advice and I'm sorry I won't be making the hookups, but I do intend to make this trip someday.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sorry to hear how it went, but looks like you made a sound decision. On the plus side, now you have trip ready for next year! Hope you and the wife both return to 100% soon.

Cheers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts