Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on installing a 12v power outlet and will be hooking it up directly from the battery with fuse and relay. I'm some what familiar with 12v electrical wiring, but haven't worked on motorcycles yet. It looks easy enough, but am not familiar with all the housing areas and wiring harnesses.

So with that said, which 12v key-on power supply have you tapped into for the relay (i.e. headlight, taillight, hi/low switch, starter switch, running lights, license plate light, etc.)? And where exactly on the bike do you tap it into? Did you tap it under the gas tank, under the seat, inside headlight housing, near the key, near the handlebars? I'm sure I can figure it out with a little tinkering, but would like to have a general idea before I start working on it this weekend to save a little time. Thanks all...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
When i installed the relay for my 12v outlet and USB port, i tapped into the tail light running light wire.. Personally, i didn't want to tap into something that needed a HUGE draw to begin with. I used one of those squeeze on splicers..

I purchased my relay and connections from Radioshack.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
For your application you can pick up + power for the trigger to #86 (not as shown below where they are bringing source power in and using it to trip) from any existing key controlled circuit. Otherwise, the diagram is accurate. Relays usually don't affect draw enough to be an issue with the source fuse.

We always get a good result by half stripping the insulation from the target wire, then using a point (ice pick, etc) to lift the remain insulation to make a 'tunnel'. Then you can run the tap wire thru and around and around with the insulation holding it in position. Top it off with Silicone if it will be wet, then wrap with electrical tape. Fast, easy and bullet proof.

If you get a relay with an 87a contact (many don't have it), cap that tang and don't use it since it is Normally Closed (NC).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For your application you can pick up + power for the trigger to #86 (not as shown below where they are bringing source power in and using it to trip) from any existing key controlled circuit. Otherwise, the diagram is accurate. Relays usually don't affect draw enough to be an issue with the source fuse.

We always get a good result by half stripping the insulation from the target wire, then using a point (ice pick, etc) to lift the remain insulation to make a 'tunnel'. Then you can run the tap wire thru and around and around with the insulation holding it in position. Top it off with Silicone if it will be wet, then wrap with electrical tape. Fast, easy and bullet proof.

If you get a relay with an 87a contact (many don't have it), cap that tang and don't use it since it is Normally Closed (NC).
This is how I normally tap into wires myself... great connection all the time :-D.

I'm no stranger with wiring relays and making proper connections on a 12v system (I used to install car audio many years back), but I'm more curious as to what key-on power source you guys tapped into to trigger the relay and where exactly on the bike you guys tapped into. So far, it looks like tapping into the tail light from under the seat is the common way. Anybody else tapped into different wiring?

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
What i would tap into depends on where I want to put the relay. If you have gotten rid of the T battery and gone to a rectangle. the space where the leg of the T used to be makes for a perfect Relay spot. I have 2 added relay circuits, 1 is in the headlight housing, and 1 is in the right side cover. Yes I still have a T battery, next battery wont be. When I change bats next I'll move the relay that lives in the right cover to the battery tray.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys... hopefully I'll have time tomorrow in the 116* heat to start working on it, along with installing my new R/R as well. Have a wonderful 4th everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.