Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a set of 16" apes for my 98 shadow ace. I wanted to know if anyone had an idea as to any measurements for the cables i will need to go along with the new bars. I'll need everything. The bars are 16" and 36" wide i believe. I'd like to find the cables and lines before the bars come in that why i can start installing right away. Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
You can always guess, which we do sometimes when we are in a rush...

However, you will ALWAYS end up with a better look if you mount the bars first and then measure what you need.

It's your choice...a quick project for a day or two of sooner riding, or take your time and do it right and it will look better for the life of your ride.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is exactly the information I came to the website to find myself. A buddy of mine has a 2001 Shadow 750 Ace and wants to put 16" apes on it. We would like to get started within a few weeks so that we can be done prior to riding season.

I too need to know how to measure for the additional cable lengths. From what I can tell, we'll need six new wires/cables.

1: Hydraulic brake line
1: Clutch Cable
2: Throttle cables
2: Electric cables.

Do you think adding 10 - 12" of length would be okay? Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
225 Posts
neutom72 said:
This is exactly the information I came to the website to find myself. A buddy of mine has a 2001 Shadow 750 Ace and wants to put 16" apes on it. We would like to get started within a few weeks so that we can be done prior to riding season.

I too need to know how to measure for the additional cable lengths. From what I can tell, we'll need six new wires/cables.

Do you think adding 10 - 12" of length would be okay? Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
there is a quick and dirty way to do it.

measure the lengths of the existing cables and such.

figure out (guesstimate) where the controls will be with the new bars.

pick a point the cables will be the same regardless of bars (usually the cables are tied to something close to the forks.

measure the distance of the cables from the fixed point to the old (existing) control location.

measure the distance between the fixed point and the assumed new location.

the difference is how much longer you need.

it's not 100% accurate, but if you can get reasonably close with the control location (base it off pics of those bars on bikes), then your cable length should be pretty close too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have 16" apes on my 1100 Spirit and used 6" longer cables. Yours may differ. only way to be sure is to install bars then measure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
16" Ape Hangers

Did you find your cables? Did you install the bars. I have the same size bars and want to install them on my 06 Shadow Aero. I got the links for where to buy cables but am wondering if anyone can share their experience or provide some help doing it. I was quoted $450 in labor alone to do it but I don't have the cash. I would like to do it myself to save for grips, clamps and other stuff.

·
Registered
23 Posts
APE HANGERS

HOW TALL OF APE HANGERS CAN I RUN WITHOUT CHANGING THE STOCK CABLES? BECAUSE MY DAD JUST BOUGHT A 06 750 AERO AND I WANT TO PUT APE HANGERS ON IT FOR HIM BUT I WANT TO USE THE STOCK CABLES.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think Big Al on this forum has the 16" bars on his Spirit 1100. You might try sending him a PM and see if he knows how long the cables are he had to go to.

Sorry I can't be too much help as I have 12" apes on my 6" risers. 16" apes, I have no idea.

Good luck!

Leslie

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got some 17" apes for my 05 sabre and I ordered +14" cables SS cables. Zendragon (another user on this forum) has 16" apes on his sabre and he has got +14" cables as well, the pictures of his look good not to much slack but not real tight either. You can call Motion Pro they will make custom cables for you and I have had very good experiences with them. They are reasonable too about $50 per cable for the SS and $35 per cable for the black. When I get mine all installed I will get pictures posted, just waiting for my cables to be finished.

·
Registered
94 Posts
+1 on MotionPro. I've ordered from them twice now and have had good experiences both times.

·
Registered
82 Posts
MOTION PRO ROCKS! Another thing you can do is once again measure out where your handlebars are going to be then take a long piece of string or wire and actually route it the way you think your cable is going to be then measure it, that should give you a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
94 Posts
AKMorris said:
MOTION PRO ROCKS! Another thing you can do is once again measure out where your handlebars are going to be then take a long piece of string or wire and actually route it the way you think your cable is going to be then measure it, that should give you a pretty good idea.
AK, thats an EXCELLENT idea! I wish I had thought of that when I swapped my bars. :cry:

G

·
I am going 12" on mine, and am going six over on the throttle and clutch. I may have gotten by with 4 over but I figure whatif I go 16" later on? I am looking into a universal for the brake line.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Shadow Aero (custom)
12 Posts

Thank you
12 inch’s worked perfect on my clutch cable

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts