Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I will be up for a new rear tyre soon and was wondering if anyone had been down the change tyre size path?

I was thinking of changing from the standard 170 80 15 to a 180 70 15. Two reasons it will lower the bike 10 mm or 3/8" and take away a bit of the wallowy rear end feel.

Has anyone tried this and how did it go?
What do you all think guys?

I should not be such a tight wad and get a set of PS 412 rear shocks, I just thought this could help.

Thanks,
Bluey

[/img]

·
Registered
681 Posts
I was recently making the exact same decision for pretty much the same reasons plus I just liked the idea of the way it would look. In the end, I stayed with the stock 170/80 because of one aspect of it. Overall smaller tire circumference would translate to increased RPM. How much I didn't bother to calculate. I just knew I didn't want any increased highway RPM at 75+ mph speeds. This little 750 is buzzy enough at that speed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doobie,
I did consider the RPM increase but figured it wouldn't bother me as I don't ride that fast on the VT1100, the VFR is a different matter.
We have a maximum open speed limit of 110 KPH in Oz, you usually get away with 119 KPH from patrol cars but not the speed cameras.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
170 80 15

The only thing you didn't figure on was that your speedometer will not be calibrated for the smaller diameter wheel. Watch out for the smokey's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: 170 80 15

jpr1968 said:
The only thing you didn't figure on was that your speedometer will not be calibrated for the smaller diameter wheel. Watch out for the smokey's.
jpr,
My speedo is driven from the front wheel so the rear change will not be a problem. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts