Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, 180 is the number of miles of gas I get to the tank on my 750 Shadow Spirit.

I know this because I ran out of gas this morning at 5:15 am barreling down Business 40 outside of Kernersville. :roll:

I had calculated that based on getting 130 miles before I had to hit reserve, that put me at 56.52 miles to the gallon this week-- I have a 1.3 gallon reserve so 56.51 times the 1.3 gallon reserve should have given me another 73.46 miles and gotten me to right at 200.

Apparently that calculation was wrong and that's what I get for trying to be smart. New rule-- do your calculating and then subtract 20 miles and make SURE you get to a gas station before that number!!

P.S. Husbands do not like having to come out at 5:15 and bring you gas, especially if they handed you a $10 bill before you left the house to get gas. :roll:

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Actually the rule of thumb should be get fuel before you hit reserve.

Going to reserve (by force) is a dangerous thing to do.....especially on a regular basis....you could be passing a vehicle, turning left across oncoming traffic etc.

We, as motorcyclist, are too vulnerable to be messing around with the things that can cause accidents....and running out of fuel in the main tank or reserve is just an accident waiting to happen. Running out completely is a bad thing.

Had I been the husband that was called, I would have told you to call AAA. The 90 minute wait in the cold is a sure deterrent to receiving a call like that again and may save your life, or save you from future injury. Tough Love - yes, but damn.......

·
Registered
590 Posts
You did "MATH" that`s what did you in. :evil: Why is your hubby giving you only $10, you gotta be worth more. :wink: My wife would not let me off with that. Glad you got help safely.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had I been the husband that was called, I would have told you to call AAA
Chuck, if my husband told me to call AAA, I would have told him to call a divorce lawyer! I have driven many times to his shop when he has forgotten his shop keys, or accidentally left something important at the house.

Yes-- we give Tough Love to children-but trust me, I'm no child! We all run out of gas, once..... :wink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
That sucks Denise, glad you didn't spend too much time in the freezing.

I think we've all learned that lesson at one point, maybe not to the point of being stranded though.

Damn, was thinking that was some serious mileage for one tank :cry:

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Oh Denise, you're trying to be way too scientific about this. There are so many variables that effect gas mileage that it's just about impossible to predict exactly how far you can get on reserve. There's the wind, the temperatue, whether you're going up hill or down, the phase of the moon and so on. My preference is to pick a mileage that I'm sure I can get to without having to switch to reserve then when I hit that mileage, I flip it to reserve and head for a gas station.

sanoke

·
Registered
249 Posts
Had I been the husband that was called, I would have told you to call AAA. The 90 minute wait in the cold is a sure deterrent to receiving a call like that again and may save your life, or save you from future injury. Tough Love - yes, but damn.......
Yeah........If I tried that i'd be.......ummm.....riding solo, so to speak, for quite some time. "Yes dear, I'll bring you whatever you need" is the right answer. You might even get some chocolate cake out of the deal. :wink:

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
180 on a tankfull is GREAT milage!

When I get to 110 I start looking. Somewhere between 120 and 130 I have to switch to reserve and there had better be a station within 10 miles or I'm going to have to start walking. 8)

And some chocolate cake would be great right about now, mmmmm. :D

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
AngryHatter said:
When I get close to 100 miles I look to refill.
100 miles for the Virago and 160 for the Vulcan and I'm looking for a gas station. No reason to push it to the limit.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,219 Posts
My preference is to pick a mileage that I'm sure I can get to without having to switch to reserve then when I hit that mileage, I flip it to reserve and head for a gas station.
I understand looking for the gas station but why flip it to reserve?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Anywhere around 100 miles will get me into a gas station. I try not to go much beyond 100 unless I know there is a gas station within 10 miles or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
*sigh* Where has chivalry gone.....

I think SPIRIT05 got it right....

You might even get some chocolate cake out of the deal. :wink:
Chocolate cake? If I had rescued my wife like that, I'd of had cherry pie that night.... :wink:

Glad you're OK Denise (and your husband loves you....) 8)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
adlowe said:
My preference is to pick a mileage that I'm sure I can get to without having to switch to reserve then when I hit that mileage, I flip it to reserve and head for a gas station.
If the next gas station is beyond the point where I would run out of gas on the main tank, then I don't have to risk the bike quitting on me at an intersection or some other inconvient place. It also runs some gas through the reserve circuit to keep it from getting plugged.

·
Registered
932 Posts
adlowe wrote:
Quote:
Sanoke wrote:
If the next gas station is beyond the point where I would run out of gas on the main tank, then I don't have to risk the bike quitting on me at an intersection or some other inconvient place. It also runs some gas through the reserve circuit to keep it from getting plugged.

I do the same as Sanoke. I don't want the bike to start sputtering and quit on me. This is based on experience. :oops: Plus even if the main runs out in a convenient place, I've found it can be hard (time consuming) to get restarted if I didn't switch to reserve in time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts