Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this what I need to pull the spark plugs on my 2002 VLX? I know I have read that the plugs are down deep in the heads but are all Honda wrenches the same length? I just want to make sure I'm getting the correct one. I don't want to buy one and have it bee too long or too short.

Genuine Honda Spark Plug Wrench Slim Tool Kit Replacement 18mm | eBay

I bought new plugs last spring with the intent on changing them but the bike runs so well I didn't mess with them. However I want to do that before riding season next spring.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I guess that's my dilemma. I know the one I have listed did not say its for the VT600, but it is a 18mm.
The one you pointed to says its for the VT600.....but is more money.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I don't know what the 'slimline' has to do with it. It looks to be plenty long enough to reach down in the head to me. Might shoot them a message thru ebay and ask.

To me even $12 for a zinc plated steel socket seemed a bit much but I looked everywhere and I could not find a socket with a thin enough wall to fit in the head.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
They are all the same wrench. Will work on any Shadow. Sears sells an 18mm thin wall, deep socket that will also work.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are all the same wrench. Will work on any Shadow. Sears sells an 18mm thin wall, deep socket that will also work.
Yes I remember reading this as well. I believe it needs to be the 12 point socket and not the 6 point though.

I sent a message through e-bay asking for the Honda part numbers.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Yes I remember reading this as well. I believe it needs to be the 12 point socket and not the 6 point though.

I sent a message through e-bay asking for the Honda part numbers.
Honda didn't make a 12 point version of that wrench. You want a 6 point wrench. Much better grip on the sparkplug.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I tried the Sears 18mm dedicated spark plug socket and it was too wide and would jam going down to the plug.

I went to a Home Depot near me and bought a Husky brand 18mm deep socket. They actually had two different ones and I bought the one that was the thinnest and it worked fine.

When putting in the new plugs I pushed the top of the plugs into a piece of fuel line hose to position the plug and start the threads.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Honda didn't make a 12 point version of that wrench. You want a 6 point wrench. Much better grip on the sparkplug.
Sorry I was referring to the socket from Sears. I thought I had read that it needed to be a 12 point or else the walls would be too think.

The part number can be seen in the ad that I linked to it is
89216-MBA-000

They guy got back to me from e-bay.
The ad that firehawk linked to the seller says that part number is
89216-MR1-000

So I wonder what the different letters within the part number mean???

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Sorry I was referring to the socket from Sears. I thought I had read that it needed to be a 12 point or else the walls would be too think.

The part number can be seen in the ad that I linked to it is
89216-MBA-000

They guy got back to me from e-bay.
The ad that firehawk linked to the seller says that part number is
89216-MRI-000

So I wonder what the different letters within the part number mean???
Honda online fiche did not recognize 82916-MRI-000 but it did recognize the first part number as a sparkplug socket

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an 6 point 18mm sears thin wall that works fine. It was not a dedicated sparkplug socket.
That's good to know......that's a good option then.

I think that socket around here sells for about $8-$9 at Sears.
I don't mind paying a little more for a Honda wrench but some of those wrenches on e-bay are $18 or more with shipping and that is getting too much as far as I'm concerned.

NOTE... I mis typed that part number. it is 89216-MR1-000

it is MR1 not MRI

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
don't even think about getting anything else. The Oem version has its own built-in extension to reach the deep wells, a rubber insert to keep the plugs from dropping and stripping the internal threads, and thin walled to boot, all in the same package.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it looks like the one I posted is NOT the correct wrench.
The one firehawk linked to is the one I need. So for anyone following this thread...the spark plug wrench for the 2002 Honda VT600 VLX is.....

Honda Part number #89216-MR1-000

·
Registered
422 Posts
A normal 18mm, chrome deepwell socket can be utilized for a plug socket, provided it is thin-walled...this is crucial in motorcycles due to the plugs being inset into the cylinder heads so deep and the plug hole being about 18.1mm wide(<--- thats an exaggeration, but not really:-x) Make sure it is only 6 point, not a 12 point, as the 12 point will tend to "round' the edges on plugs if youre not careful.

Cheap and easy = Motorcycle 16 &18CM Ignition Spark Plug Spanner Tool Deep Reach Wrench Socket - $6.90 w/free shipping

I would rather spend the cash and get this ---> 18mm Motion Pro Spark Plug Socket Atv Dirtbike Motorcycle - $21.50 w/free shipping

But really, I went even cheaper and just snatched the 3/8" drive, 18mm deepwell impact socket from my set I use at work...its snug, but not nearly as tight as my chrome/non-impact sockets...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
85 Posts
if you still need one i have an extra one for my '06 shadow spirit. not sure what size though, but it's honda part.

email me at mvorbrodt @ gmail . com

i can check tonight a send you pics. if it fits your bike you can have it :)

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
My tool kit with the bike had no wrench. But I did have two 18mm thick walled sockets, so I used my bench grinder and ground it down to become a dedicated bike spark plug wrench. Works fine with an extension.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found what I needed on e-bay and it has been ordered. Thanks all!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.