Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there... some of you may remember me selling my bike because mr. taxman came knocking.

I just came back from a work party of my wifes, and the host has a 1981 CB750 Custom.

He says it hasn't run in 10 years, but that it did run up til the day he parked it because of insurance cost.

He asked me to make an offer on it. He says that he wants to get it started for me to see it run, but that if it doesnt start, the he would expect my offer to obviously be less.

I have zero experience with an inline 4... i only know v-twin. Im told this bike in its day was a fast bike. It it something worth me looking into, or should I walk? What kind of offer would you think is reasonable. Keep in mind, bikes tend to sell for a bit more in Canada.

It has a full front fairing, which I like. The exhaust was new about 12 years ago.. And it has a larger fuel tank than my last bike. it also has only 32,926KM or about 20,500 miles.. and i love the custom paint on the tank..

Take a look at the pictures I took..

what say ye?

-jeremy

·
Registered
497 Posts
they were great bikes and is way faster than you v-twin,,,,those 750 would haul azz..I had 2 of them before the v twin

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I would love to have one of those, loved them since they were built. I would rather have the single cam but just wait till you hear this cranking. It is one nice ride, and I think you will find it more comfortable than a cruiser.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The CB750s were legendary back in its day. Even today they still have a large fan base and are considered classics by many. It has as much as 65-70HP.

But, as with any older bike that hasn't been ran in years, you have a bit of work ahead of yourself. I would recommend the owner doesn't start it until you can drain the old gas and put new gas in. It will probably still need the carbs cleaned. Most definitely need to replace tires and hoses as they are probably dry-rotted. New chain and sprockets, new brakes, as well as all other fluids need replaced, etc. It would be a **** nice ride once done though. :)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
awesome. love the old cb's.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah... i told him not to start it unless i am there.. i want to lube the cylinders first, and drain any old gas from the tank and carbs, and start fresh.. chain doesnt have many miles on it, but i would still change that out.. h

i dont mind the work... i know i'll have to pull the carbs and clean em.. but thats not a big deal.. i can do that blindfolded..

i was really impressed to see a 1981 look as nice as this does... guess when something is stored in a heated garage, thats what happens..

i hope some others will jump in with their experience... not sure of problems with these bikes i should be wary of.. .

-jeremy

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Angela, thanks for the link.... I just signed up over there... hoping to get some good information!

-jeremy

·
Registered
302 Posts
Cool. That's a Vetter WindJammer fairing. Had one on my CX500. That bike would clean up great. If you're on a budget, some stuff can be done on the cheap, but you'll need to do some refreshing like folks said. Chain and sprocket may have been replaced since new and may be usable for awhile.

Not much idea what it's worth but if I could grab it for $1000 cash I'd be all over it.

Oh, and it would make an outrageous Cafe Racer.

PS, ask him to find the side covers.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Really cool bikes. My neighbor has one. He took the fairings off and it gives it a pretty good look.

The body on the one in your pics looks its great shape, it probably doesn't need any major work.

Good luck..

Reny

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
I would jump on that in a heartbeat. Those bikes are considered to be the forerunner of the superbikes. I remember as a kid when the first 750fours came out, man were they big and badass. I'm with Normspeed on this, these bikes make killer retro cafe' racers.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
i hope some others will jump in with their experience... not sure of problems with these bikes i should be wary of.. .

-jeremy

Charging rotors are prone to failure, and the valves are shim adjusted which is a pain, so people decided not to bother with adjustments at the 5000 mile interval and ended up burning exhaust valves.

The Honda manual is also wrong with its valve lash specs, adjust the valve lash to .005. not .003 like the book says.

Good bikes. I miss mine, I had cb900f cams, and oil cooling system installed in mine, made it work a bit nicer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It just so happens that I recently completed a rebuild on a 1981 CB750C. If you are interested, you can read about the details on the New Members Forum.

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/93-member-introductions/110232-spirit-fan.html

The advice given above about visiting the CB750 Customs forum is very worthwhile. You will learn all about the ins and outs of these bikes there. As you will learn, there are a few key things that need attention, such as valve clearance, cleaning the carbs and making sure they are seated correctly when installing them, and the electrical charging system. All of those items are easily maintained, but many people seem to ignore them.

Be prepared to spend a little cash while getting it ready for the road. I spent about $1,000 and the bike didn't really need much. If you need plastic side covers, they are only avalable used (like on eBay) and cost about $100 each.

I like the way the bike is nice and smooth and has lots of power. Now I am looking for a Shadow Spirit and will probably sell the CB750C in the spring.

Here is a picture of it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It just so happens that I recently completed a rebuild on a 1981 CB750C. If you are interested, you can read about the details on the New Members Forum.

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/93-member-introductions/110232-spirit-fan.html
i will definitely read your thread... any information i can gain is great. im hoping the guy accepts the offer i made to him of $500... i detailed how much parts and stuff were going to cost, so $500 is the most i can pay.

would be nice to try my hand at an inline 4... i love learning all i can about motorcycles...

-jeremy

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I know the SOHC 750's have the great reputation, but I just love the DOHC's. A much cooler racing history, and the 750 can easily and relatively cheaply be made into an 1100 with stock parts.

Learn how to adjust your cam chains correctly though, they are getting harder and harder to find a good replacement..... I'm sure you'll learn all this from reading the other forum though.

·
Registered
789 Posts
The SOHCs have tappet adjusters instead of shims, so keeping the valves in spec is not as hard. I don't know how hard the shims are to get, but Phoenix Specialty can make them for you. Older CBs tend to have weak charging systems. I think the 650s were the worst for that, but it's easy to replace the stator, and, there are places that will rewind them for you. DOHCs had more power on top end and could rev higher. Cam chains were kind of weak, and stretch with too much clutch dumping (wheelies.) Solid bikes for the most part. Like most older bikes, problems are usually electrical.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now I would go the other way with it. Try to find some matching Vetter hard bags and trunk and make a vintage touring bike.
this would be more ideal. i dont want a cafe racer, as cool as they are... or do any chopping at all.

i'd rather keep it mostly stock.. and find some nice hard bags for it. it already has a nice front fairing... which will need matching paint.. but if i can get this bike for the price i want, and fix it up... should be a great bike i can ride for many years to come.

-Jeremy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts