Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I am working on a 1983 honda shadow that I have been working through some bugs trying to start. Took carbs off and cleaned, new gasket and float needles, new fuel filter, new fuel pump. The bike cranks and no abnormal noises. I squirt some oil on top of cylinders. changed plugs (didn't have NGK so put champion or something that cross referenced). Have fresh fuel in reservoir tank, don't have tank on bike for trouble shooting purposes. Jumping fuel relay wires. Pump clicks then stops. Carbs were awful, cleaned jets. Did not pull out air screw (had not been drilled out). This bike is all original and has been garage kept for many years. Me and my dad rode the bike to the great smoky mountains when I was young and I have a trip planned for end of august to relive the experience. My dad passed in January and want to get this baby back to it's glory days. My theory is that I am not getting a strong spark. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,014 Posts
Easy enough to check spark just use one of your old plugs and connect and hold against engine while you crank the engine to see if you have spark. Just one other thing we quite often after a bike has sat for a long time and that is that is that sometimes carbs need to be done a couple times to make sure all jets and air passages are open. Try spraying some starting fluid in your air intake while trying to start it and see if it fires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will try the starter fluid. I read about the kick stand. Mine is down. I don't see a kickstand switch in schematic. Is this a safety feature that would not be on schematic? I am going to try kick stand and starter fluid.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,042 Posts
Be sure you have a very good full charge battery as well, I believe the engine needs to see more than 250rpm during cranking before it will light up the coils.

Reactions: Chuck_Michigan

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,909 Posts
These don't have a kickstand switch.The kill switch stops power to the coils on these old bikes but the starter will still crank. See if you have battery voltage at the coils on the black/white wires. The ignition or kill switch may be bad.Or the fuse for the ignition circuit.
The fuel pump will stop when the bowls are full and the float valves shut off fuel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So put the bike up on center stand, squirt some starting fluid in the carb air intake. Took a bit of cranking but finally fired off and chugged several times. Think I need to revisit the carbs again and ensure fuel is being delivered. Where/what would be the better carb rebuild kit for these carbs. I bought a cheap kit just for the gaskets and used the float valve as well. The bladder of the slides looked good and reused. I have the tank off of the bike for troubleshooting, could this be not letting fuel get to carbs? pump clicked and then stopped, indicating bowls filled up. New gas (non ethanol). original hoses, didn't clamp so I wouldn't have to fight with them. Can you get new hoses that are formed for the bike (really just the one that comes off of valve and goes to filter)?
I really do not have the time to work on this bike so I found a reputable shop that I plan on taking to to see if they could change fuel lines, rebuild carbs and get her going.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, took bike to shop and they are backed up. Going to clean the carbs again and remove the air screw and rebuild with new jets and all. Any advice on the better rebuild kit than that from ebay. Going to pull air screw out of it's hide away and clean again I have a carb cleaning gallon of solvent probably let it soak a day or so. These carbs are not as complicated as the ones on later bikes. Watched a few videos on yt and they show alot of other passages that what I find on mine. Any tricks to a better job cleaning would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,909 Posts
If you completely gut the carb bodys it would be good to soak them for a while. But be careful of any plastic or rubber parts. And if you don't seperate them it makes life easier. Maybe just a 20 min. soak and wash them and then blow through each passage with compressed air will do it. Spray carb cleaner through each passage and compare one carb to the other for the passage flow.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,014 Posts
Here is a good video on different carb cleaners and how well they work, some will swell any rubber parts others won't.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I’m rebuilding my father’s ‘83 Shadow, too. Had similar issues with running, but I had the benefit of a parts bike, so two sets of carburetor to try. I had completely disassembled both, and had boiled them in PineSol for 20 minutes or so. The parts carbs were still a bit off (gas gushing out the vent and also leaking into the butterfly valve on one side. The originals seem to work fine, so far...

I don’t know about ‘quality’ of rebuild kit. I bought my jets from a local shop (Keihin jets) and just cleaned and reused everything else. They’re just simple valves and such.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts