Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, new to the forums but get the feeling I will have plenty of questions as I bring this bike back to life. I got a tote of parts but no fuse box that goes on the handlebar risers. Do I need this box? TIA

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,943 Posts
All the power is divided at the fuse box to different circuits from the ignition switch.
You need several fuses so it is not all bundled on one wire.
Here is one pretty cheap.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have an Ascot VT500FT that had the old glass tube fuses so I bought a later fuse box that has the bayonet/GM type fuses and grafted that on.
I had to use/splice on the wire end plugs from the glass tube fuse box though.
You might need to buy both type fuse boxes though to get the plugs you need to convert to the bayonet type.
The bayonet fuse box I bought off ebay had the cover but they are becoming hard to find at a reasonable price now
Here's a search that has both types as well as the cover:
good luck on your search,
:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! Thank you for sharing your wisdom. I went ahead and ordered the bayonet style fuse box. Any advantage to switching to the other square fuses?

·
Registered
1983 VT500C, 1985 parts VT700C
602 Posts
Awesome! Thank you for sharing your wisdom. I went ahead and ordered the bayonet style fuse box. Any advantage to switching to the other square fuses?
It's easier to find blade fuses than the old glass tubes now.
That night you blow a fuse at midnight...gas station will have blades...
might not have the glass tubes.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,586 Posts
It's easier to find blade fuses than the old glass tubes now.
That night you blow a fuse at midnight...gas station will have blades...
might not have the glass tubes.
Back in the day if that happened you just wrapped the blown fuse in foil from your cigarette package until you could buy a replacement. Of course these days smoking is far less common and they probably dont use foil anymore. Im not sure, I quit smoking years ago. Maybe kids these days could jam their vape pens in there

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,586 Posts
Then of course there the urban legend about someone jamming a live .22 in their fuse panel and shooting their dick

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,943 Posts
I thought of the same thing- the story about a guy with an old Ford truck and when the fuse blew a .22 fit perfectly but with a short circuit, it blew too.

Reactions: Big Shrek
1 - 8 of 8 Posts