Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the history I bought a 1983 Honda VT750C (Shadow). And it had been sitting for about 6 months according to the seller. it was hard to start but it did start and sounded very good at idle. I brought it home changes the oil, spark plugs and cleaned and re-oiled the air filter. The bike has still very hard to start but once it did start it idled nicely I drove it to get it inspected and after sitting turned off for only a few min it was still very hard to start killed the battery trying. jumped started it again hard to start but it started ran fine but every now and then while I was driving it would out of no where take off like I had hit a nitrous button then it would go back to normal. I asked around and was told that I needed to clean the carbs and change the fuel so I did. I drained both tanks and replaced the fuel filter and the motorcycle was still hard to start. I was told it could be the petcock so I went to pull it off and the brass fuel inlet hose connector came out of the petcock and stayed in the hose. There are no vacuum lines going to my petcock only two fuel hoses one in the back from the gas tank (this is where the brass fitting that came out is at) and one going to the fuel filter. So (1).can the petcock cause hard starting (2). Is it fixable or do I have to replace it (3) if I do have to replace it do you know where in or around Austin Texas I can Buy one.

Thank you,
Dwayne
:?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello I can look through my stuff I think I might have one. But if you were to ask my advice and I know that you didn’t. here is what I did on my 83 750 just go around it. Don’t use it. I have never seen a car with a electric fuel pump have a cut off valve on it. And it does you no good (as you found out) when you have to take the tank off. Unless you are down to the reserve tank you have a mess on you hands. So I could never see the use for it. Mine always smelled like gas when I took off the side cover until I bypassed it.
Just my 2 cents worth. If I can find the one that I took off a donor bike that I had I will let you know. As far as the hard to start deal I messed with that up till the day I finely gave up and sold mine for a 1100 Aero.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Have you run any fuel system cleaner though it? A few tankfuls of Seafoam (mixed according to the directions on the can, or even slightly more than that) may be all you need to clear the crud out of the carbs that's giving you the trouble.

Out of curiosity, have you verified that the choke system is working correctly? These Hondas are notorious for being cold-blooded, so a working choke is essential when it's under 60 degrees. if the carbs are clean and adjusted, and the choke is working, they should give you no trouble starting. My 1986 VT700 starts easily down to about 15 degrees, which is the coldest that I've been out riding it. I'm sure it would start colder than that.

Also, because the choke is a fuel enricher, and not a true butterfly-type choke, it relies on intake vacuum to pull more fuel in. if you grip the throttle while starting it, it's effectively disabling the choke. Best thing to do is to turn the choke on, keep your hand off of the throttle, and crank it over. Once the engine catches, just give it a little bit throttle to increase the idle. If you give it too much, the choke stops working right, and it will stall out.

My 1983 Nighthawk has the exact same behavior.

Let us know what you find out!

--Justin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry it took so long

ok so I checked the choke and it moves very smooth and it at full closed it measures 11mm I took the petcock out of line and went straight from the tank to the fuel filter. After refilling the tank I noticed no fuel was going into the filter do I disconnected the hose on the tank side of the filter and there is lots of gas waiting to go into the filter it just won't when I try starting it I can see it trying to suck the fuel it just doesn’t. Any ideas

·
Registered
335 Posts
It sounds like a new fuel filter is the first thing to try.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nail on the head

:D

Thank you all for all your help man it felt good to ride again. she still idles a little rough and is hard to start but i no longer kill the battery trying I have put the Seafoam in the gas and will try riding for a few week before i try anything else give her time to get back into the swing of things after her little vacation in the storage shed of the last owner. Again thank you very much

Dwayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts