Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok the history I bought a 1983 Honda VT750C (Shadow). And it had been sitting for about 6 months according to the seller. it was hard to start but it did start and sounded very good at idle. I brought it home changes the oil, spark plugs and cleaned and re-oiled the air filter. The bike has still very hard to start but once it did start it idled nicely I drove it to get it inspected and after sitting turned off for only a few min it was still very hard to start killed the battery trying. jumped started it again hard to start but it started ran fine but every now and then while I was driving it would out of no where take off like I had hit a nitrous button then it would go back to normal. I asked around and was told that I needed to clean the carbs and change the fuel so I did. I drained both tanks and replaced the fuel filter and the motorcycle was still hard to start. I was told it could be the petcock so I went to pull it off and the brass fuel inlet hose connector came out of the petcock and stayed in the hose. There are no vacuum lines going to my petcock only two fuel hoses one in the back from the gas tank (this is where the brass fitting that came out is at) and one going to the fuel filter. So (1).can the petcock cause hard starting (2). Is it fixable or do I have to replace it (3) if I do have to replace it do you know where in or around Austin Texas I can Buy one.

Thank you,
Dwayne
:?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry it took so long

ok so I checked the choke and it moves very smooth and it at full closed it measures 11mm I took the petcock out of line and went straight from the tank to the fuel filter. After refilling the tank I noticed no fuel was going into the filter do I disconnected the hose on the tank side of the filter and there is lots of gas waiting to go into the filter it just won't when I try starting it I can see it trying to suck the fuel it just doesn’t. Any ideas

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nail on the head

:D

Thank you all for all your help man it felt good to ride again. she still idles a little rough and is hard to start but i no longer kill the battery trying I have put the Seafoam in the gas and will try riding for a few week before i try anything else give her time to get back into the swing of things after her little vacation in the storage shed of the last owner. Again thank you very much

Dwayne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.