Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I am a bit late to the carb party but having read through the thread I have a couple of comments,,,like that surprises anybody!!!

I see where you keep mentioning that you are soaking the jets, that is good. You may want to also soak the main carb body as well. There are many tiny passages that need cleaning as well.

I was thinking about the plug that got drilled out on accident? Maybe a small freeze plug could have a bit of silicone smeared on it and be tapped in the hole. Something like a cam freeze plug. What do you think @swifty2014 ?

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any idea where to purchase said plug? i was trying to find a freeze plug but didnt have much luck finding any that small. right now it just silicone and i hate the way it looks and i dont like "fixing" things that way. i can weld, just afraid to weld that hole closed, plus im almost certain it is pot aluminum.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
There is a repair for the tach if the yellow wire has a signal.
So I did not get a blink from my tester on either of the plug wires for coil 2. Also, I didn't know nor did I check for a third spark unit...馃ゲ
I did order ignition coils in my haste to get the bike running for the last month of the riding season as they have a 5 day lead time but I'm fairly certain it's the spark unit after performing your magical testing 馃槄. Money isn't an issue so would it hurt to order the 2 spark units and ignition coils. If one spark unit is failing, how close is the other. And with 30k miles on the bike and oem coils I can't imagine they have much opening and closing left.

Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
You want to look for a blinking light on the blue wire on one coil and then the yellow wire on the other coil.
That is where the firing signal can be detected.
To check the tach measure the yellow wire from the back of the tach to the coil to make sure it is a good wire.
Loosen and snug down all the screws on the back of the tach because they are electrical connections.
Then if you need to this is the fix.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts