Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I tried the search first and found a lot of good information but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Probably because nobody but me is dumb enough to try this!

Anyway, I am working on completely rebuilding this bike. Very little on the bike is stock at this point and before I am done, I am literally getting my fingers into everything. Right now the engine is being rebuilt on my kitchen table! My next project is wiring. What I want to do is to construct a new wiring harness, with a few twists...

1: I want to eliminate anything the bike doesn't need to run or be legal. So mainly the only things I want in my new wiring harness are ignition components and lights/signals.

2: I want this harness to be better than the original so I want to use a heavier wire than the factory harness used and better waterproof connectors.

3: Other mods are forcing me to relocate some things like the spark units (I am using an aftermarket rear fender). Another is the fuse block (I am eliminating the "console" of dummy lights on the handlebars. Ostensibly all of these components will all be relocated to an electrical box that I will mount where the old air cleaner box was.

So, my question is basically, Has anyone done this yet and if so do you have any input? I've got the factory wiring schematic and frankly it looks overcomplicated to me so I am thinking that there is a lot of "fat" to be trimmed.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Easiest way is to just use the wire diagram and highlight what wires you need. Blow it up into a larger sheet and break it down into sections. Its easier than you think.

Next easiest is to go to the bike with the wire harness, pull off all the wrapping, and start pulling the wires that you dont want. Once you get an idea of what you want and what still lets the bike run, use that as a template, and figure out your new locations and routing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, still_bluenoser. I appreciate the encouragement and will get started once the engine is in one piece again! I'm probably going to start with the diagram like you suggested.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
18,659 Posts
It might be just another one of those projects that started out as a complete rebuild to make it like new, and after months of no parts, it sits in pieces in boxes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.