Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Upon startup my bike is firing off only the rear cylinder. On a bad day that's all i get. On a good day, once warmed up it will slowly studder and backfire and eventually the front may start to fire, then uppon further warming up (if firing on both cylinders at that time), that side will backfire upon deceleration. I've tried adjusting the low mix screw with next to no noticable difference. The carbs have been taken off and cleaned with new floats and needles and seals. Also attempted to sync according to the visual method while the carbs are off that was given in my manual, although i'm not sure how accurate that could be. Although if that was the issue, i'd think it would start to fire upon mid to full throttle anyways? But i'm no expert. Checked for spark and it seems strong, and the carb seems to be getting fuel, when i open the bleeder needle i get a steady stream. Anybody have a guess? Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Watching this thread... sounds similar to what is going on on my vt500c. I've tested the stator, reg/rec, pulse generators, swapped coils, swapped ignitor boxes, pulled apart the ignition switch...

Only things I can think to do: check with new gas, pull carbs and clean again, check for blockages or nests in the exhaust pipe and intake pipe, confirm good vacuum where it needs to be...

·
Registered
350 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, you have a "front" cylinder and a "back" cylinder, not a left and right. Are both front and back cylinders only firing on one side?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry, it's the front cylinder that's acting up. Got my brain in a bit of a mixup because i'm so used to leaning over the ride side of the bike to tinker with that carb. Edit....bike is only firing properly on the rear cylinder!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts