Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! First post for me here.

I picked up an awesome 1984 Honda Shadow that is exactly what I am looking for. After getting ready to strip and clean, I noticed a hole in the frame near the foot pegs that was kind of hidden by the exhaust. Not a problem, I could try to get a new frame.

I found a veryyyyy nice 1987 frame online for a very good price and was wondering if it would be a direct fit for the 1984 I currently have?

Honda laughed at me when I called and I compared the Vins only to see that the "JH2-RC190" is the same on both but I dont know if anything changed between the years that wouldn't fit.

Thank you in advance!

Nick

·
Registered
172 Posts
It would be a hell of a lot easier to just take the frame to a metal shop and have them weld the whole. I had a few small rust holes in my frame when I rebuilt my '85 and just fixed the holes. If yo are dead set on changing frames forget the '84 to an '87 they made a tun of changes between '85 and '86 so an '84 will not go into an '87 frame without a bunch of reworking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Gundam-Monkey for your response..

I was told not to try and fix this section of the frame. I attached a picture of the frame I have.

What do you think?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well that looks like it is the end of a support so it might be a bit beyond repair, but the picture is really close so what section on the frame is that? Is that part of the swing arm?

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that would be perfect! I really wanted to use this as a project bike but the lack of information i've been finding is tough. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me like this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can use a 1983 through 1985 frame for a replacement. After '85 there are just to many differences. I did find a nice '84 for sale, not sure where you are in the US, but here.
I have one more question. Does the 83-85 frame have to be the 700cc motor? Or do they all fit the same frame? I found a parts bike that is an 1984 VT750c that I would hope to use. Mine says 700.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,721 Posts
The 1983 is the original 750 then for a few years they had to be 700s in the USA.
But in Canada and other places they were still available as 750s. So the frame will be the same 1983-85.

Reactions: Big Shrek

·
Registered
172 Posts
Like swifty2014 said, '84'85 were what we call the Harley Hondas. Harley Davidson made the Government put really high tariffs on any bike over 700cc. So Honda just put a different cylinder and piston in the 750 to make it just slightly smaller and thus under the Tariffs. You will be fine the frames did not change.

·
Registered
1983 VT500C, 1985 parts VT700C
577 Posts
Properly done welding solves problems...
it ain't a race bike...chances of going over 100mph are slim.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,047 Posts
Properly done welding solves problems...
The original 750 bikes when fresh are quite fast judging by the magazine tests of the time. Depending on the luck of the day and the weight of the rider, they ran low 13's to mid to high 12's in the quarter mile and top speeds on the road were quoted from 127 mph with some claiming 130's. Not a race bike, but no slouch and definitely not something I would want my glob and hope welding on, but I'm sure an expert can make it right. (-;

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yerp, they'll move...my VT500C got up to around 97-98 today...
then I saw how fast I was going and went OOPS!!

I've actually got a similar problem with mine...but since it's going to require
significant downtime to do the welding, I've been putting it off.
Got to pull the engine & driveshaft so he can get to them for the welding...
might as well wait until the dead of Florida Winter in Jan/Feb for that.
Dude makes V-8 trikes, so when he welds...it's forever.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The original 750 bikes when fresh are quite fast judging by the magazine tests of the time. Depending on the luck of the day and the weight of the rider, they ran low 13's to mid to high 12's in the quarter mile and top speeds on the road were quoted from 127 mph with some claiming 130's. Not a race bike, but no slouch and definitely not something I would want my glob and hope welding on, but I'm sure an expert can make it right. (-;
big shrek said:
Even worse, after saying that, took my VT500C to 110mph while testing out
how different the Vetter Bullet was from the Slipstream Hellfire...
literally hit the rev limiter doing it...no Tach, so I've no idea what it was...
either loosing my mind or hitting a midlife crisis & taking it out in speed...lol

I need to shoot some pics tomorrow.

Vetter Bullet photo from their site...

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,047 Posts
The VT500 is a little ball of fire and you are quite mad.
Your holey frame is now a holy frame, you are obviously blessed.

It seems like a good runner, worth getting fixed. (-:

Edir: BTW cool looking windshield/fairing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts