Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got this mostly mint ascot from 84 with 8,3kk on the clock. She basically doesnt wanna do anything else other than idle especially after she gets up to temp. I have a manual on the way along with the rest of my incomplete fuel/vacuum system and a new air filter. Fresh oil change not even 20 miles on it. Had a rusty tank before, I had let it sit with seafoam in the carbs for a day or so, drained it and repeated until it came out clean. Carbs still need to be pulled and cleaned. Where can I get a rebuild kit that will work for this? I'll drive to cali from Wisconsin if I have to for it otherwise I'm happy to order online. Please help out guys im pretty much stuck with it until it runs I got too much money into it already.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Welcome
I have revived a few old bikes and one of them was an Ascot that was sitting outside/under a tree for 10 years in the Pacific North Wet.

You are way ahead of the game if yours runs/idles and should not take much to get it running normally.
I suggest you wait for the manual and then dig into those carbs, that's what I did, and I didn't have or need a "rebuild kit".

I may have bought a new float needles and seats but that's all but found the seats can bed polished smooth to stop any leaking.
Put a Q-tip in a drill and add some car polish on it.
I have a metric O-ring assortment kit that usually has what I need.
My standard tool for cleaning jets and ports is a single copper strand of a multi-strand electrical wire.
It's soft enough not to damage any ports or jets and small enough to get thru most openings.

The stock tank was completely rotted out in both front corners so I got a Shadow tank and grafted it on by fabricating some new front tank mounts as the shadow tank is shorter.
Shadow tank on an Ascot so renamed a "Shascot", here's a pic:

DIY side covers...
The oem side covers didn't match-up with the tank, and I didn't want to chop them up so I used them as a mold/form and built these out of fiber-glass.
good luck on your quest,
:) .

·
Registered
'97 Spirit 1100 - Chandler, AZ
464 Posts
Hey guys I got this mostly mint ascot from 84 with 8,3kk on the clock. She basically doesnt wanna do anything else other than idle especially after she gets up to temp. I have a manual on the way along with the rest of my incomplete fuel/vacuum system and a new air filter. Fresh oil change not even 20 miles on it. Had a rusty tank before, I had let it sit with seafoam in the carbs for a day or so, drained it and repeated until it came out clean. Carbs still need to be pulled and cleaned. Where can I get a rebuild kit that will work for this? I'll drive to cali from Wisconsin if I have to for it otherwise I'm happy to order online. Please help out guys im pretty much stuck with it until it runs I got too much money into it already.
Nice bike Steve. You weren't kidding about it being mostly mint.
I've not yet tried the $15 China-made carb kits on e-Bay, but given the age of your bowl gaskets and such, it may be worth a try. From what you've described the jets are likely plugged/gummed up. Careful disassembly and cleaning should get it running well again. Let us know what you find-out after digging into them. Kevin

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've recently restored an 85VT500C which had been sitting 15 years. I expect you will have to clean the carbs especially the jets but probably can rebuild it with replacing. You will likely need a new rubber kit though (bowl gaskets and pilot screw o-ring). Be sure to clean all the tiny holes in the jets as Kenstone above says. To clean the rust from the tank I would use a product called evap-o-rust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.