Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Creating a new thread rather than hijacking somebody else's

As a recap:
One of my Pulse generators is defective. Both tested fine at around 480 Ohms (+/- 10%) when cold, but one was open (or unconnected) once the bike was hot. Took me a while to figure that out.

If I can't somehow get my hands on a new replacement pulse generator, I'm either selling the bike or parting it out.

I heard that Ignitech.cz was selling them but they don't seem to have a good replacement.

Here are the measurements of a 1984 Shadow VT700 OEM Pulse Generator (Part No. 30300-ME9-154):
A 40mm
B 17mm
C 8.5mm​

I previously measured 'C' at 10mm, I reconfirmed all other measurements.

I don't like the idea of buying a used Pulse Generator as my bike has 12K miles on it and it still managed to become defective. I don't want to get stranded again (already had to limp home).

Based on a few pictures, I ordered a pulse generator for a 2001 Shadow Sabre 1100 (OEM part 30300-MBC-003). It was $60.00, not cheap gamble.

Turns out the coils themselves are identical! Down to the Part number stamped on the side (PGE-100). I should also have enough length on the coil leads to make it to the original OEM connector.

I still need to buy another in order to end up with two so I can recreate a new 30300-ME9-154.

I'm calling the parts store tomorrow to put my order in (didn't want to buy 2 up front in case it wasn't going to work).

I should be able to cut the old terminals off, pull the wire through all the tubing/rubber seals and recreate the double pulse generator 30300-ME9-154.

I have a crimping tool and 2.8mm spade terminals so I plan on making it fit the original connector.

The only thing that I don't like is that the new pulse generator is ever so slightly out of spec when cold. My old pulse generators tested at higher Ohms when hot, so should be fine once warmed up.

I'm pretty excited as over the coarse of about a month I went from basically no possibility of a new part (and selling the bike), to $120 for a new one if I do a bit of work.

Will add pics along the way, here is what I have so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
On most oem parts websites there's a box that you can punch in the product number of a part and the next page that appears will list all the bikes & years that use the same part.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Searching for 30300-ME9-154 produces these results:
1983 VT750C A - LEFT CRANKCASE COVER / ALTERNATOR
1984 VT700C A - LEFT CRANKCASE COVER
1984 VT700C AC - LEFT CRANKCASE COVER
1985 VT700C A - LEFT CRANKCASE COVER
1985 VT700C AC - LEFT CRANKCASE COVER​

So if your bike is listed here, and your Pulse generator goes out, you'll be in the same boat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Placed an order for the second pulse generator I need a couple days ago, should be here sometime late next week.

Also looks like we'll be able to do this for some time as its unlikely that Honda will discontinue pulse generators off of a 2007 for a while.

30300-MBC-003 (the new pulse generators), come off 1998 - 2007 VT1100's

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good news and bad news.

First the good news: The new pulse generators work!! The second pulse generator I ordered measured a tiny bit under spec like the first one, but the bike fired right up anyway. I suspect once the bike gets hot the resistance will change and it will hopefully end up in the sweet spot around 480 Ohms.

Heres the bad news:
The reason I didn't let the bike get warm is that I couldn't shift the bike 'down' (I think shifting 'up' works but am already in high gear so couldn't really tell). Since I wasn't sure what the problem was at the time, I shut the bike down and opened it back up. Sounds like a common problem with the shift lever spline alignment. I think I know how to fix it, but can't yet see the spline teeth to line them up properly.

I'll start a different thread if I need to, but as far as I can tell the new Pulse Generators work! If you want new pulse generators for an 83-85, you just need to order two 30300-MBC-003's in order to make a new 30300-ME9-1540. It cost me around $130.00 out the door. Its actually pretty easy to do assuming you don't mess up the alignment of your shift splines.

Added a few pics. I basically drilled 2 tiny holes in the rubber engine/cover seal for the other two wires, and fed the second pulse generator through. I used a drill press so not sure why it came out a bit crooked. Maybe the drill bit flexed a bit as it was fed into the part. Perhaps feeding the drill bit up a bit more into the chuck will reduce how much flex there is.

Once I had all 4 wires fed through that rubber seal and wire covers, I mounted everything up. I did have to Dremel away a bit of material on the Pulse Clamps so that they fit nicely. Got a good pic of why that was necessary (had to do it on two of them).

Also don't forget to gap the new pulse generators, mine were measured at .012 and .020 (think spec is between .012 and .035).

I guess I never got a pic of the OEM adapter I reused once I had new spade connectors crimped up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,898 Posts
Great work, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Awesome share, I'll have to save the information you've provided, I hope mine don't fail, but it's good to know that there's a workable alternative.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happy to give back a bit!

This site has been a really good source of information for me. I suspect somebody will find this info helpful at some point.

I know I would have,
-Chris

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to close the loop on this.

After mis-aligning (then fixing) the shifter fork, and then somehow putting the clutch back together wrong; I got frustrated and put the old girl in "timeout."

Probably haven't touched it in a couple months.

I took the clutch basket apart and put it back together again this weekend, and I finally have a clutch again.

I probably drove my bike around for an hour, and the new pulse generators are still holding up. The bike was really, really hot today so I think if it was gonna break it would have. However, my bike is an evil bitch so I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks right after I post this.

Not sure if the bike feels stronger, or its just been a while since I rode it last.

But so far so good,
-Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just wanted to close the loop on this.

After mis-aligning (then fixing) the shifter fork, and then somehow putting the clutch back together wrong; I got frustrated and put the old girl in "timeout."

Probably haven't touched it in a couple months.

I took the clutch basket apart and put it back together again this weekend, and I finally have a clutch again.

I probably drove my bike around for an hour, and the new pulse generators are still holding up. The bike was really, really hot today so I think if it was gonna break it would have. However, my bike is an evil bitch so I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks right after I post this.

Not sure if the bike feels stronger, or its just been a while since I rode it last.

But so far so good,
-Chris
Was wondering how long it lasted? Having same issue

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was wondering how long it lasted? Having same issue
I never had another issue with my pulse generators after that. Re-reading the post made it sounds like a flakey fix, truth is it was rock solid. If you haven't already, buy the parts. You'll be glad you did.

My carbs were a different story though. I eventually got tired of having to rebuild them every time I wanted to take a ride and ended up selling the bike. I have a feeling somebody sold me a tank on ebay that looks brand new, but that they lined with something that would leach into the gas and gum up the carbs.

Anyway, hope you get your pulse generators fixed!
-Chris

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,030 Posts
Thanks for the update.
Great to know of a solution for unobtainium parts !

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,030 Posts
Good idea maybe Spiritman can do that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you so much for this post! I am rebuilding an 84 vt700 and finding that many parts now are either a find used, buy cheap chinese junk and roll the dice, or fab up your own solution.....so I thank you for making this post so that if or when I run into this issue, I'll be prepared! I really need to make friends with people like you....any time you are in NW PA and wanna grill out some top cut steak and drink some premium brews, I'll owe ya one!!!!

-Tank-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Creare un nuovo thread piuttosto che dirottare quello di qualcun altro

Ricapitolando:
Uno dei miei generatori di impulsi è difettoso. Entrambi hanno testato bene a circa 480 Ohm (+/- 10%) a freddo, ma uno era aperto (o scollegato) una volta che la bici era calda. Mi ci è voluto un po' per capirlo.

Se in qualche modo non riesco a mettere le mani su un nuovo generatore di impulsi sostitutivo, vendo la bici o la divido.

Ho sentito che Ignitech.cz li vendeva, ma non sembrano avere un buon sostituto.

Ecco le misurazioni di un generatore di impulsi OEM Shadow VT700 del 1984 (codice 30300-ME9-154):
un 40mm​
B 17 mm​
C 8,5 mm​

Ho precedentemente misurato 'C' a 10mm, ho riconfermato tutte le altre misurazioni.

Non mi piace l'idea di acquistare un generatore di impulsi usato perché la mia bici ha 12K miglia su di essa ed è comunque riuscita a diventare difettosa. Non voglio rimanere bloccato di nuovo (dovevo già zoppicare a casa).

Sulla base di alcune immagini, ho ordinato un generatore di impulsi per una Shadow Sabre 1100 del 2001 (parte OEM 30300-MBC-003). Era $ 60,00, una scommessa non a buon mercato.

Si scopre che le bobine stesse sono identiche! Fino al numero di parte stampigliato sul lato (PGE-100). Dovrei anche avere una lunghezza sufficiente sui cavi della bobina per arrivare al connettore OEM originale.

Devo ancora comprarne un altro per finire con due in modo da poter ricreare un nuovo 30300-ME9-154.

Domani chiamo il negozio di ricambi per inserire il mio ordine (non volevo acquistarne 2 in anticipo nel caso in cui non funzionasse).

Dovrei essere in grado di tagliare i vecchi terminali, tirare il filo attraverso tutti i tubi/guarnizioni in gomma e ricreare il doppio generatore di impulsi 30300-ME9-154.

Ho uno strumento di crimpatura e terminali a forcella da 2,8 mm, quindi ho intenzione di adattarlo al connettore originale.

L'unica cosa che non mi piace è che il nuovo generatore di impulsi è leggermente fuori specifica quando è freddo. I miei vecchi generatori di impulsi hanno testato a ohm più alti quando sono caldi, quindi dovrebbero andare bene una volta riscaldati.

Sono piuttosto eccitato perché nel corso di circa un mese sono passato da praticamente nessuna possibilità di una nuova parte (e vendere la bici), a $ 120 per una nuova se faccio un po' di lavoro.

Aggiungerò foto lungo la strada, ecco quello che ho finora.
[/CITAZIONE]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Salve, volevo informarvi che grazie alle informazioni e alle foto che avete postato sul sito ho potuto acquistare e sostituire i pick up della mia Shadow VT C 1100 SC 23 del 1989. Mi siete stati di grande aiuto. Grazie ancora e cordiali saluti dalla Sicilia

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.