Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 vt700 that I bought last couple of weeks. It sat outside in the rain and now I do not have spark and it will not turn over. I bought a new starter relay and it didn’t help. If I hook direct power to my relay the bike will turn over just fine. I have checked all fuses and they all seem to be good. I’m hoping the no spark and not turning over may be the same problem? Any help is much appreciated thanks

·
Registered
12,802 Posts
Sitting out side in the weather may have corroded the ignition, kill, and start switch contacts. The power to the coils and starter solenoid go through the ignition and kill switches.
But it is always good to eliminate the battery as a weak spot also, by jumping it with a non running car battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would I test the ignition and power to the starter solenoid? I tested for continuity and cleaned the kill switch up and it tested fine. Also the headlight dims when I press the starter button like it has power and is working. I was told by a dealership over the phone it’s possible the previous owner tried to jump start it with a running vehicle and it could have fried the entire electric system is there a way or place to check for that? Thanks for the reply I am running out of patience and about ready to sell her.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Not meaning to ask a dumb question, but I see you cleaned and tested your kill switch, how about the start button? Someone was on here just a month or so ago with the exact same problem and it turned out to be his starter button and key switch.

·
Registered
12,802 Posts
If you have a fried electrical system you will see melted harness. Don't believe that yet. There is a funky 30 amp fuse from the factory for the whole bike. But if you have headlight it must be OK.
Measure for battery voltage at the black/white wires on the ignition coils. If it is there with key and kill switch on that proves the upstream switches are good.
To check the start solenoid check for battery voltage at the yellow/red wire on the solenoid when you push the start switch.
If that is good the green/red wire is the grounding side for the solenoid and it has to ground through the neutral and clutch switches. Make sure your battery is charged while testing or you go in circles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I could essentially unplug and ground the green/ red wire just to make sure and rule out the clutch and neutral switch’s? I did not clean out my starter button and key switch as I didn’t really see a good way to do it but I will try to clean out both some way. Thank you guys for all the info I checked the master fuse and it is fine. I feel like with the headlight dimming when you press the button that switch is working power just isn’t making it to the solenoid or maybe the solenoid isn’t grounding through those two switches.

·
Registered
12,802 Posts
Yes if you ground the green/red it will crank if all is well from the start switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I’ll try it in the morning! The headlight dims like it does pull power when u press the start switch but maybe not enough power being pulled?

·
Registered
12,802 Posts
Jump the battery with a non running car battery so there is NO doubt about enough crank power. The start switch not only sends power to the solenoid, but shuts off the head light while it is being pushed. That allows the most battery power to go to the starter, which is the heaviest power consumer on the system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts