Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dash lights on my bike are staying on even when the key is off and out. Any ideas?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, I can start it with the key off. I think the headlight is on, I'll have to check.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Ya, I can start it with the key off. I think the headlight is on, I'll have to check.

If you can start it with the key out it sounds like the switch is bad. Get to the wires on the back of it and remove the ones leaving the switch and going to the fuses box. The lights should go out then.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A pink wire turns them off, and makes them operate normally when unplugged. I haven't checked the schematic, but is this the wire of which you speak?

What would cause the ig switch to fail?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
A pink wire turns them off, and makes them operate normally when unplugged. I haven't checked the schematic, but is this the wire of which you speak?

What would cause the ig switch to fail?

Time and use would cause it to fail. I don't have a diagram for that year model so I can't say which wires would cause the problem. Don't quite understand what you mean by the pink wire turning them off and making them operate normally. If you disconnect the wire and they go out then they should not come back on with the wire disconnected. will it still start with the pink wire disconnected?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once it is disconnected, they go off and the switch returns to normal operation- e.g. When the key is turned to on it starts, etc.

Can't push the switch and to the left, to the lock position, either. Feels jammed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once it is disconnected, they go off and the switch returns to normal operation- e.g. When the key is turned to on it starts, etc.

Can't push the switch and to the left, to the lock position, either. Feels jammed.

*in and to the left

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

Sure sounds like the switch to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ha ha, how does one become so wise, such as yourself? Thanks for the help, I'll let you know :)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Is it possible to take it apart and fix the short?

New switches are fairly inexpensive and it's easy to replace the old one. Only downside is having a second key.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts