Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 84 700 has a problem where it will idle like a dream and rev all the way out perfectly but as soon as you click it in gear and try to move the front cylinder dies(isnt running.) Ive rebuilt the carbs, new plugs, wires, and coil. New fuel filter and lines fuel pump is working properly new regulator new stator and hell even new tires. I cant figure out why this bike doesnt want to run right. Someone please fill me in on what im missing.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,949 Posts
Swap the 2 ignition units and see. Pull the choke when it is faltering to see.
Were the rubber slide diaphrams perfect, and seat correctly?
Is your air intake system still stock?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Intake is still stock the rubber diaphrams looked fine ive played with the choke when it does it doesnt help or hurt anything and ive swapped coils around a few times and i swapped cdi boxes around a few times all with no luck

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,949 Posts
So it runs good in neutral and at idle and can rev up while still in neutral .
But you put it in gear and try to move off and the front cylinder dies .
It doesn't die just putting in gear does it?
It doesn't feel rough like a low cylinder compression does it?

Do you have an old timing light? If you can get hold of one connect it to the front plug wire and try to drive off.
See if the spark is quitting for that cylinder.
If spark doesn't quit then you go after a fuel issue again for that carb.

·
Registered
892 Posts
That’s what I thought you’d say... It would be pulling more fuel under load, at a lower rpm, but that should be almost the same as revving it higher on the Center stand... And just ONE cylinder cuts out... There really shouldn’t be any differences to make that happen, especially given the results of your ignition tests.

The only things I can think of are, your knees/legs are rubbing against something as you move off that is killing ignition... or your crank is walking and causing the metal ‘trigger’ to hit or not trigger a pulse generator. That second theory is WAY out in left field, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts